The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stylin' & profilin': Ultimate guide to accessorizing/fashion
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:34 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Let me first say: DO WHATEVER YOU LIKE! I'm not suggesting anyone needs a guide or should follow it, I just felt like throwing this list of screen accurate "looks" together for the various pieces of kit and how they are worn. Figured it could be useful/fun for anyone who is new and curious what accessories are out there, or even vets who are looking to flesh out their kit.

For more info on...
Sidearms and Knives: see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12723&hilit=sidearm
Character Personalizations: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12357&hilit=personalization
Expanded Universe weapons: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12642&hilit=iron+bear

The focus here is really about the uniform, gear, and preferences for how and what is worn.
*(Grenades do make the list, but personally I consider them an accessory for costuming purposes).

With a standard combat uniform, there are only so many ways to “wear something different”, but our beloved Marines do try. I'll start off with the "soft parts" accessories

-First up, SLEEVES!

Long Sleeve Club: Apone, Crowe, Gorman (in jacket), Spunkmeyer
Semi/half roll: Ferro, Frost, Gorman (in shirt), Dietrich (more of a 'scrunch' than a 'roll')
Rolled up sleeves: Ski, Hudson, Hicks (extreme roll to arm pits)
Sleeveless: The smart gunners
Attachment:
Sleeve Comp.jpg
Sleeve Comp.jpg [ 464.24 KiB | Viewed 16552 times ]

-Chin Straps! Bet no one really ever thought about screen accuracy of chin strap placement before :wink:

Keep em secured, dont want it falling off: Apone, Crowe
Loose and Dangly. Low key, man: Hudson, Dietrich, Ski
Secured in Helmet band out of way: Hicks, Frost (Lft side up, Rt side dangly)
Attachment:
Chin Strap Comp.jpg
Chin Strap Comp.jpg [ 255.8 KiB | Viewed 16552 times ]

-Gloves

Smartgunners and Ferro (right hand only) wore various styles of gloves. Dietrich had her right hand wrapped, but not sure I'd call it a "glove"...
Attachment:
Glove Comp.jpg
Glove Comp.jpg [ 294.03 KiB | Viewed 16552 times ]

-Pouches

With the exception of the smart gunners, who do not wear them at all, The "standard" layout for pouches is one "small pouch" on the right hip, and one "large pouch" on the left buttocks. The variations occur when there is more gear added, like Hudson's hack pouch and Dietrich's medic bag which leads to them being scooted to other spots of the belt. Hicks is the only exception. He only has the one large pouch (2nd pic of Hicks is actually Remar as Hicks, but Hicks' single pouch is visible several time in film).
Attachment:
Pouch Comp.jpg
Pouch Comp.jpg [ 173.99 KiB | Viewed 16552 times ]

-Bags (Medic bag and Dump bag)

Not a "popular" item with the marines, but certainly a plausible "standard issue" item. Dietrich's medical bag features a red cross where Frost's is presumably empty for "just in case" situations (like ill fated ammo carrying).
Attachment:
Bags.jpg
Bags.jpg [ 430.78 KiB | Viewed 16552 times ]

Last edited by bigbisont on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Stylin' & profilin': Ultimate guide to accessorizing/fas
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:53 pm 
THAT guy

And now on to the fun stuff: Hardware and gear accessories.

-Belt Tools!!! (the most underrated prop in my humble opinion)

The only webbing-sporting Marine that does not have any belt tool is Ski. Naturally Gorman and the Smart gunners don't have them (no webbing to make them look good!) but everyone else has AT LEAST one!!!

Hudson: x 1 on belt (left pelvis)
Hicks: x 1 on belt (right pelvis [and upside down?! Most others go barrel down. Hicks has barrel up])
Apone: x 3 on belt and strap (on each pelvis and one left strap)
Frost: x 3 on belt (two right pelvis, one on left pelvis)
Dietrich: x 2 on belt (one each pelvis)
Crowe: x 2 on belt (two right pelvis)

Attachment:
Belt Tool Comp.jpg
Belt Tool Comp.jpg [ 328.07 KiB | Viewed 16549 times ]

-Grenades

Not as popular as some people think. The grenades on bandoliers worn Gorman and Ripley near the end of the movie account for the vast majority of actual grenade related action seen on film. Only 2 Marines fill both straps (Ski and Frost) and our hero Hicks starts with 4 (seen only with 3 later in film). No one else carries them
Attachment:
Grenade Comp.jpg
Grenade Comp.jpg [ 404.44 KiB | Viewed 16549 times ]

-Hand Welders

Carried initially by Hicks and Hudson (Vaz grabs Hudson's at some point) these puppies really are just tied to the belt with para-cord.
Attachment:
Hand Welder Comp.jpg
Hand Welder Comp.jpg [ 341.15 KiB | Viewed 16549 times ]

-Motion Trackers

Again, Hicks and Hudson (one each squad when they split up) carry them initially. Hicks' gets passed around like a joint at a Phish concert. Frost, Vaz and Ripley all get a turn with it.
Attachment:
Trackers.jpg
Trackers.jpg [ 134.98 KiB | Viewed 16549 times ]

-Racal Headsets

The radio of choice for not radio-equipped headgear. Sported by Gorman initially, Hicks ditches the helmet for one quickly and Spunkmeyer wears one when not wearing his flight helmet. This prop is great for literally any costume including officers, flight crew, and ground pounding marines.
Attachment:
Racal Comp.jpg
Racal Comp.jpg [ 136.42 KiB | Viewed 16549 times ]

Last edited by bigbisont on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:02 pm 
THAT guy

Last two bits are essentially "one offs". Not popular nor necessary, but a nice addition if you like extra stuff.

-Hudson's Hack Kit

Presumably one guy in every squad might have one. Hudson wore his like so...
Attachment:
Hack kit belt.jpg
Hack kit belt.jpg [ 113.82 KiB | Viewed 16548 times ]

-Apone's binoculars

Again, likely one per squad issued. Cool bit of hardware, but not too many wearing options other than "slung around neck"
Attachment:
binoculars.jpg
binoculars.jpg [ 218.39 KiB | Viewed 16548 times ]

So anyways...that about wraps it up for SA gear. Hope this is useful to someone, and if not...hey, at least I entertained myself for a couple hours putting it together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:38 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Very cool. The grenades was an eye opener to me, and I somehow missed that Crowe had two belt tools (not that it matters at all, but it's fun trivia).

I hadn't seen that shot of Hudson's hack pouch before either, so that's a bonus! Nice work as usual. It's always good to see how the rest of the squad was equipped afterall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:59 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ0.0.12251E1
I LOVVVVVED Reading this. And the other threads.
All this talk about Hack pouches recently had me wondering where it goes an learned a few other things.
Thanks man!

We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:00 am 

Great thread idea. I'm sure this is very helpfull for everyone who's trying to build a very screen accurate armor, action figures etc.

I was suprised to find out that Hudson doesn't carry any granates with him. It seems I was using the wrong picture as a reference when I was sculpting my Hudson Lego custom figure. This remade prop by Terry English had four of them.

RC_TE_Armor_2.jpg
RC_TE_Armor_2.jpg [ 53.94 KiB | Viewed 16502 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:30 am 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.12129E1
nice pic of hudsons hack kit but what is that under his backplate in the arm hole????? and in the welder pics of hicks, there is a wire going into his belt pouch and it is obviously weighty, whats that about? power pack for the shoulder lamp possibly???? I have never seen ether one of those pics!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:14 pm 
THAT guy

gunny63 wrote:
nice pic of hudsons hack kit but what is that under his backplate in the arm hole????? and in the welder pics of hicks, there is a wire going into his belt pouch and it is obviously weighty, whats that about? power pack for the shoulder lamp possibly???? I have never seen ether one of those pics!

Yup, you nailed it. The power cord for the shoulder lamps. They were hard wired. Crazy right? You can see it better in the pic of Frost's back on the "bag" section.

MandaloreSC wrote:
Great thread idea. I'm sure this is very helpfull for everyone who's trying to build a very screen accurate armor, action figures etc.

vitus wrote:
I LOVVVVVED Reading this. And the other threads.
All this talk about Hack pouches recently had me wondering where it goes an learned a few other things.
Thanks man!

Thanks guys When I was researching to build my various scale figures is when I got obsessed with this minutiae. The devil in the details is just such a fun thing for me (for some reason).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:21 am 

Perfectly put together.

Bravo.

http://www.kgbairsoft.com/wordpress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:39 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
On the picture of Hudson's MT, what is the thing between the MT strap and the shoulder armour? I can't figure it out!

Edit: it's his loose chin strap. For some reason I thought it looked like a flattened tube running along the edge of the shoulder piece...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:29 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:46 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42140E1
This will be a very helpful thread, thanks mate!

Cheers,
Doug

"If it doesn't get you dirty, it's not worth doing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.72144E1
Superb stuff....Thank you!

AND For me, the realistic variation in kit from person to person and the obvious wear/customisations are what make the USCM 'real'. This illustrates why I love the depiction.

Look at other Sci Fi Militaries (Starship Trooper Mobile Infantry and Star Wars Stormtroopers off the top of my head- but even the most recent Hunger Games Peacekeepers) and their uniforms are identical, parade ready- too clean by half. For me, that makes them look very obviously like actors in studio gear, not soldiers

Real troops will vary their personal kit within the bounds (or beyond) of regs to suit their preferences- meaning, while they are wearing the same uniform they are anything but uniform ;)

"Checklists Save Lives- No Service Stations at 30,000ft"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:37 am 

Bravo! Great thread.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]