The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Some handmade soft goods for my kit (pouches, holster, etc.)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:32 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I decided to make my own set of pouches and when I went to photograph them I realized I could highlight a few other bits I've sewn up in the last few months. I'm having trouble adding photos for some reason, so I'm sorry they are all at the end of the post...

Going by the photos of the actual pouches made for the film and using members' photos of their own pouches for size reference I whipped up one small and one large pouch using material from an L.L. Bean barn coat. It took a sleeve and a side pocket each to make the pouches, but since I work for Bean's the materials were free to me.

I used the existing finished ends from the coat for nearly all the edges of the pouch, so I actually was able to hand sew these and yet end up with the look of a machine-finished product. I cut cereal and cracker boxes down to the right dimensions and inserted them into the boxes. This gives them some rigidity to hold their shape, but would still allow them to be used to hold stuff in a pinch. I still need to go back and add velcro to keep the top flaps closed.

On the right we have the small pouch. This one was tricky to photograph as it always seems to be at a strange angle. I swear it's level in person! I added an ARMAT patch I bought from Chevyh0tr0d for fun. I knew I didn't want a WY patch on them, but the idea of a little subtle "branding" seemed to fit the Aliens universe.

Below it is the VP70 holster I bribed a friend with a bottle of rum to make based on the reference photos of the originals. I used an old laundry sack my dad had left from his time in the Army. Like Frost, I wear my holster on the Ab Pad strap, not the belt that the pouches are on.

On the left we have the large pouch. A cut down Cheerios box was perfect for the interior on this one. Next to it is the welder sling I sewed up out of some scrap OD webbing based on some great designs by other AL members. Here I'm trying something new: I've put the sling on the Ab Pad strap instead of the belt (like the holster on the other side) as I hate having my belt sag. I know "belt sag" is totally screen accurate, but it bugs the crap out of me. In fact, the whole reason I've been wearing my belt hiked up over the bottom plate on the back of my armour (see picture 1) was to try to combat that. Now that all I have on my belt is a pair of empty pouches and a plastic belt tool I may be able to wear the belt under the plate as god intended. ;)

bag3.jpg
bag3.jpg [ 469.2 KiB | Viewed 4170 times ]

bag2.jpg
bag2.jpg [ 418.13 KiB | Viewed 4170 times ]

bag1.jpg
bag1.jpg [ 604.83 KiB | Viewed 4170 times ]

Last edited by retrogarde on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:43 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Yeah, I've got to take a better photo of the small pouch. It looks so damn crooked in that close up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:55 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42140E1
Nice work!
Was thinking about doing (or getting my better half to do) something similar.
Using the cereal boxes to keep the pouches in shape is a neat idea too.

Cheers,
Doug

"If it doesn't get you dirty, it's not worth doing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:35 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

I have one of Aaron's helmet covers and when I was adding the dropdown IR site I realized I would need to cut some bits off it. Once I'd cut off one I realized I really didn't need all that material anyway and why not actually make something out of it? So I ended up with these three pieces:

Attachment:
CAM00030.jpg
CAM00030.jpg [ 147.55 KiB | Viewed 4105 times ]

The logical project was a radio pouch as it would be nice to have the camo match. So I took the two larger peices and drew out my pattern:

Attachment:
CAM00031.jpg
CAM00031.jpg [ 129.66 KiB | Viewed 4105 times ]

Then it was just a matter of sewing it together. Since it's not going to see much actual stress I opted to just hand sew it.

Attachment:
CAM00034.jpg
CAM00034.jpg [ 115.19 KiB | Viewed 4105 times ]

Then I flipped it right side out, leaving the spare material in place to help bulk it up. I'll cut a piece of foam to insert to really give it some shape, or maybe an Altoids tin. Finally I took the third scrap and made the flap out of it:

Attachment:
CAM00036.jpg
CAM00036.jpg [ 145.64 KiB | Viewed 4105 times ]

I think the surged edge looks good and while the screen-used ones had a rectangular flap, this looks finished enough for me. I just need to add velcro to the closure and to the back to attach to the padding in my lobster plates.

All in all this took less than thirty minutes to complete. Hope you like it!

Post subject: Re: Some handmade soft goods for my kit (pouches, holster, e
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:44 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Daaaang. All of it looks great! Having a go with the fabrics is an idea that somehow feels intimidating to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:05 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Nah, it's just another material to play with. If you told me a year ago that I was going to hand sew a set of pouches I would have laughed, but when the materials fell into my lap and I saw how to use the existing edges etc., it just seemed too good an opportunity to let pass.
I have the utmost respect for Noble and Spat's pattern makers and professional sewers who are doing these things the correct way, but I guess I like doing what the hipsters call "upcycling".

Give it a try, you might be surprised what you're capable of! Now I just need to learn how to use a sewing machine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:39 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Nice work Retro, you are one industrious guy!

It's a boot!"

III drops