The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: DIY: $10 Locator Tube
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:03 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I dream of someday owning one of those SD Studios Locator Tubes with all the bells and whistles, but for now I'm playing around with an inexpensive alternative to hang off my armour.

I found one of these at Lowes for $7:

Attachment:
BAYNSP1206.jpg
BAYNSP1206.jpg [ 28.24 KiB | Viewed 5853 times ]

Here's an online link:

http://www.brightguy.com/Bayco/Bayco+Ni ... rettyPhoto

It is nearly spot on in height and side window location (thanks to PVB for the measurements!). The big drawback is of course that it is an oval instead of a circle, but that isn't impossible to fix. We'll get to that part later.

First off, I wanted to see if my plan for the window graphic would even work:

Attachment:
tube1.jpg
tube1.jpg [ 224.46 KiB | Viewed 5853 times ]

Here we have the distance in red printed out and taped down with elctrical tape. This is the first layer only, and it is not yet illuminated.

Attachment:
tube2.jpg
tube2.jpg [ 344.31 KiB | Viewed 5853 times ]

So now the second layer is added (this layer is laminated to give it a finished feel). This has the white text and another copy of the red text lined up over the first layer. Together they block out the light except through the numbers and create a slight diffusion. The photo on the right makes it far more blurry than it looks in person, but was the only way I could show that it lights up the red letters only.

So that's where I am so far. I have a plan for changing the overall shape from an oval to a circular tube, as well as find a cap for the bottom and a slotted screw for the side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:07 pm 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
At this point, I would like to say congratulations on a wonderful idea! That looks like a great start to making a locator.

I would also like to note I will now be going to Lowes and shamelessly stealing your idea. Imitiation, sir, is the sincerest form of flattery. :)

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:09 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

I'd be thrilled if you stole my idea because you're probably going to tackle it differently and then I can steal ideas from you too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
now if i can hallow out one of my resin tubes and put this inside that would be great lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:26 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

That's the irony: you've got the tube all made and looking great, this has the lights and screen but needs the correct housing!

I wonder if the flashlight could be taken apart and the guts put in a more accurate tube?? Something to consider...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:35 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
yeah still messing with teh screen right now. about to ship the mold to Spat see if he could have any luck with getting them Crystal clear. not Pressure Pot sucks sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 pm 
Shithouse Mouse

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.22137E1
I was thinking about using a dollar store 3aaa flashlight. it's metal and round

2nd Batt 6th Regt
USS Tahoma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:07 pm 
Yeah, you could cut out a small window on it with a dremel, and maybe swap the guts out with Retro's thingy.

Post subject: Re: DIY: $10 Locator Tube
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:01 am 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.A323732E3
Here is one I made a few years back from an alloy tube I found in a waste bin, the cap off a Humbrol glue jar and some scrap plastic.........Oh, and a LOT of hand filing and filling.

The end detailing is not screen accurate, but I thought it looked like it COULD look....:)

Yours looks really good, just shows if you can't buy it, making it is not always second best!

Cheers

Tony