The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Modified Snow Wolf PR Completed
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:49 am 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12132E1
O.K. and so we begin. I ripped open the PR tonight to begin the installation of Majenko's PR Counter/Soundboard! After removing all the stock counter electronics I started eyeballing where the board would sit and what needed to be done. Major revelation follows.

It doesn't fit...

It was apparent that some material was going to need to be removed. More eyeballing and I realized it was going to be a relatively easy operation. These screw lugs need to be removed as well as the lug on the clear window, on the right side.

The underside of the stock cover needs to be cleaned up as well.

The side of the cover needs to be opened up as well.

With that done, the cover fits back on. You loose the two top screws, but the board will be hot glued in place.

Here we can see the mods needing to done to the grenade launcher. Here we only loose one screw mount.

And with that the counter lines up perfectly in the window.

This all took about two hours to get to this point. The mods needed to the inside of the shroud and GL were very simple and the unit now fits like a glove. I used sprue cutters and a chisel in my Xacto knife to make quick work of the lugs that needed removing. Plus a little sandpaper. Tomorrow, I plan out switch placement and wiring layout. So far, I am very excited with this board!

Last edited by robiwon on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:42 am 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
Interesting. Are you going to have a cover over the LEDs on the outside or leave them exposed?

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject: Re: Majenko PR Soundboard Instalation
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:07 pm 

I have a smoked window that will cover it. You can see it in the 7th picture sitting on the USB port.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:44 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
I was just about to ask what the gold square was. :)

Is the USB for uploading mp3s of the sounds, etc?

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:17 pm 

Yes, you can download your own sounds. The board comes pre-programmed with standard sounds.
Here is his site that explains how to do it.
http://autobuild.majenko.co.uk/prfm/using.php

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:30 pm 

Getting ready to do some wiring. For all the sound effects I'll be using momentary lever switches. However, for the main PR trigger I'll wire the Thompson's trigger directly to the board. To do that we have to take the gearbox out of the receiver to get to some wires. When you remove the fire selector and safety switches make sure you don't loose the little brass pins under them.

Here we see what it looks like out of the receiver. A piece of tape on the other side holds the plastic parts so they don't fall off.

We want the two red wires. We don't need the black wire and the fuse anymore. You can cut those off.

This is what you want to be left with. Two red wires. They will need to be extended to reach the board though. I actually may replace them with a smaller gauge wire before all is said and done.

Stick it all back together. Make sure you don't loose any of the tiny parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:34 am 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
Awesome. Same mod I did to wire the trigger to the counter circuit, but much better pictures. :)

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:07 am 

Update Time!
Got the board wired up today and the mag insertion switch installed. Wiring the board was a snap. On to the pictures!

Here she is, all wired up. I wanted to color code each different switch. I didn't have enough different colors though. Oh well.

And we have POWER!!!!

Here the board is hot glued in place. Fits great!

This is how the wires will run, in general.

And here the cover has been screwed back on. You can see the lever switch on the bottom of the mag well.

Another test to make sure everything so far still works. It was cool to see the 99 pop up and then run down to 95! I'm really liking this so far. Oh, and display is brighter than the stock display.

Stay tuned for more excitement...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:36 pm 

Time for another update. I got my new firmware loaded so I can turn up the gain on the board for a slightly louder speaker.

Here we have the lever switch installed, but not wired yet, inside the SPAS cage. And then a shot from the outside.

The lever itself will be covered with a bit of shrinkwrap. When the pump handle is racked it will slide over the switch triggering the racking sound from the soundboard.

This toy gun from the dollar store will sacrifice it's trigger for the GL. This one actually screws together so I didn't have to worry about breaking the gun apart and possibly damaging the trigger.

A section of aluminum tube is glued in a hole in the trigger. Two sections of plastic tube that fit over the aluminum tube are cut so the trigger can rock back and forth.

A notch is cut in the SPAS to allow the trigger to fit thru. The plastic tubes are JB Welded in place. Before the Weld sets the trigger is installed and alignment is checked.

The lever switch will be screwed to this plastic block. When the trigger is pulled it will actuate the lever and trigger the GL firing sound.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:44 pm 
Unfit For Human Consumption

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.52150E1
Quality upgrade, this looks like it's going to be amazing when it's done!

Any links to YouTube for an example of the sound effects the board produces?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:07 pm 

Apologies if this has already been answered but does it count down with bb firing like the stock counter?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:07 pm 

No, this counter works simply by the two wires attached to trigger touching each other. However, mine will not be firing BBs anymore as I am putting an LED in both barrles for muzzle flash.

Here is one video that he posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PiPCRi9ME8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm 
Unfit For Human Consumption

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.52150E1
robiwon wrote:
No, this counter works simply by the two wires attached to trigger touching each other. However, mine will not be firing BBs anymore as I am putting an LED in both barrles for muzzle flash.

Here is one video that he posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PiPCRi9ME8

Dude - That is lush. I'm sold.

How are you dealing with the speaker issue? Silly question, I'm sure you'll be showing that soon :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:10 pm 

I have a Premium speaker from TCSS but I don't think it's big enough. I have a few electronic things around the house I can pull speakers out of. Just not in front of the wife! With the Premium in a 35mm film canister it sounds great but just not loud enough. I'll get it sorted though. I'll post what I come up with of course. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:42 pm 

Better still you could make a custom hop up tracer unit, then you would have glowing projectiles rather than just a flashing light

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 pm 

Jiffk wrote:
Better still you could make a custom hop up tracer unit, then you would have glowing projectiles rather than just a flashing light

Already did the tracer unit. Here is a short video of it.

Check this thread on how I did it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12784

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 pm 

I thought you put the tracer on as a silencer?

If you build a hop up tracer you can have it internally

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 am 

That is true. However, I want to be able to take this to Cons and pull the trigger. I cant do that with it shooting BB's. The tracer unit will be going on a stubby M4 in the near future for my zombie apocalypse load out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:32 pm 

O.K. I think I finally figured out the speaker deal. I had a $10 coupon for RadioShack. I picked up a $20 Auvio Universal Expanding Speaker for $10. It's one of those speakers for your cellphone or iPod. I took the speaker out and wired just the speaker to the soundboard. It turned out great! Nice and loud compared to smaller speakers that I have tried. It's a 2watt speaker. I ran about 4-5 mags and about 15 grenades and the speakers magnet is still cold to the touch. Here is a short video. The speaker sounds much better in person as my camera is just a cheap digital camera.

Here is where I have the speaker mounted. I had to remove a portion of the plastic standoff behind it. I cut a hole in the shroud right in front of the speaker. The front plate I made will be raised a mm or so with some thin rubber washers. This will allow more sound to escape.

Now, I just have to mount the battery in the mag and I can call it done.........for now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:00 pm 

My God. This thread is awesome and that Pulse Rifle is looking fantastic.

If I ever got the nerve up to do it to mine. How would I go about getting one of those cards?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:49 am 

Thanks for the compliments Tasker. I'm almost done with this. To buy the board you need to get ahold of Majenko. He is a member on the RPF forum. Here is a link to his for sale/development thread over there. You may need to join up if you can't see the thread.

http://www.therpf.com/f13/majenko-elect ... er-172492/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:56 am 

Righty o. Thanks very much.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:50 am 

Oh, and I have to add that with his board being under $60 you can't go wrong. You wont find another PR sound effects and counter board with these features for anywhere close to his price. If your on the fence I say hurry up and get one. I have no idea how long these will be available. I mean look what happened to the ReplicantFX board, here one day, gone the next. I'm sure Majenko will be around for a while though. He has also added the option of a board with a separate counter display. This should eliminate cutting of the GL to get it to fit. You should be able to position the counter and then lay the board on top, clearing the GL altogether.

Fantastic board, great price, and great support from its creator. Win, win and win!

I think I may make a mesh screen to cover the speaker. With the plate I have on it, it sounds great. But with nothing over the speaker it sounds even better. I think I will make a frame in the shape of the plate and add some screen mesh in it and then paint it OD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:29 am 
Any chance of stuffing the speaker somewhere in the grenade launcher, and cutting out the "vents" in the spas 12 cage to let the sound out?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 am 

Magnus, that's what I really wanted to do. However the sliding aluminum tube for the GL would not leave much room for a speaker. There would be room under the tube for a speaker but that space is taken up by the GL switch that triggers the GL sound effects. With as large as the gun is, one would think there would be a ton of room inside, that simply isn't the case sadly.

As a small update I think I blew my speaker. I had hooked up the speaker directly to the board at first. You have two options on hooking up the speaker, directly to the board, or using a separate set of solder pads you can hook up a powered speaker. The sound started dropping to the point the speaker was just popping. I hooked the speaker up to the other set of pads to use a "powered" set up. This way uses the speakers own board and battery that came with the speaker. However, I think the damage has been done as the speaker, while working just fine now, was not loud anymore. I'm going to pick up another of these little iPad speaker balls this weekend and hook it up again as a powered unit. That's what I should have done in the first place. I just can't seem to find a speaker that the PR board itself can power. Using a powered speaker that has its own board and battery seems to be the best way to go. I'll report back with my findings this weekend. If it works, and I can find the space, I may hook up a second powered speaker in the rear of the shroud, facing the operator. Right now I have the powered speakers board and battery mounted underneath the aluminum barrel mount. I will re-wire the speakers on/off switch into my main power switch for the board. That way I don't have two switches to flip to get the gun operational.