The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: 2013: The USCM Dragon-con gallery
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:12 am 
its up!

www.darthgoat.com/images/..._2003.html

if anyone is having any problems accessing it please let me know so i can fix it.

also if anyone has any pics they would like uploaded send me a link if you have one. please don't email them to me as they will probably cause my hotmail to blow up. i have to get my darthgoat.com emails up and online.

enjoy grunts! no offense ;)

"We defeated evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering" -The Shoveler
Don't think you are. Know you are.

Post subject: Re: The USCM Dragon-con gallery
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:36 am 
Great job! TKS for sharing those.

TKS for the effort too.

Looking good!

VBR,
FNG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:45 am 
wow

as he starts to drool

great job

cpl. neokramer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:48 am 
Outstanding work marine!:D

What a bunch of badasses we were!:twisted:

Kevin
The Sarge's Site
[url=http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ssgtburton/lst?.dir=/Sarge%27s+Pics&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t
&.done=http%3a//ca.photos.yahoo.com/]Sarge's Pics[/url]

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two
varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.
"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:36 am 
Now that does my heart good. I only wish I could have been there. :) So tell me Marines, who were the groups in front and behind you? Just courious.
"Being dead means not having an opinion"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:00 am 
Makes me feel a sence of pride...even though i wasnt there...truely amazing guys...well done

Chris
This user has been classified as Crowe...the silent Marine.

Aliens in my loo again!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:56 pm 
Man Chris (FNG), you are tooled up for grenades, aren't you?

Cheers

Tony
When you are out of Pulse Rifles, you are out of Weapons!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:02 pm 
Just ready to Rock ... good for grouped targets when the going gets thick.

Made one for my little 1:6 figure, so I just had to do it for myself in full size.

VBR,
Chris/FNG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:49 pm 
Quote:
Quote:So tell me Marines, who were the groups in front and behind you? Just courious.

The group in front was some combat news group (no clue what that is). They didn't really get into the parade- we were yelling marine marching chants, and saying quotes from the movie. Actually I was the one calling cadence. It was alot of fun!:D

The group behind us? As they say in racing, "what's behind you is unimportant.":lol:

The lousy thing was there was a WWII British APC (sorry if I got that wrong) that was no where near us in the parade line up- we should have been just in front or behind it!:evil: Poor planning there!

Alot of the guys were saying the parade was pretty unorganized this year. FNG and I met first thing on Saturday morning to eat, get geared up, and go to the parade meeting place. We almost went the wrong way, and half way there, a guy in a motorized wheelchair was saying to everyone, "YOU'RE LATE! MOVE IT!" or something like that.

We made it to the parade point, and had people yelling at us go here, go there, get off the street, get in line on the street, go behind the mini van, follow the car, you're in the wrong spot!! You get the idea.

Classic military operation: hurry up and wait!:lol:

It was worth every minute though!:D
I haven't marched in a parade for 14 years!

Cheers guys!:D

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDPAikXgXRQaK!J5CiHuUrYJTRCKJm5LVXt8vj9E74pglkktKMvvLIicOcRf9w37jbeiAF2*zNvHOdynd6ZebuBIwANGH6U1noBZAbweCY8A0Ihh68pgg/uscmbeer.BMP[/img]

Kevin
The Sarge's Site
[url=http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ssgtburton/lst?.dir=/Sarge%27s+Pics&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:49 pm 
yeah I was in the boys scouts & the scouts have had parades that went easier than that

what pissed me off the most was that british thing, what kevin called it ehehhe, wasn't in front of us POOR PLANNING

but our sign will be bigger & so will our group & fan table next year

cpl. neokramer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:37 pm 
Very cool!! Thanks for the report and pics!!! That's a bada$$ bunch of marines!!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:42 pm 
Sarge

Where did you get THAT glass:shock:

<span style="color:black;font-family:FederationBold;font-size:medium;]Adapt-Overcome-Survive

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:52 pm 
I was waiting for someone to be interested.

Unfortunately, it's a picture I cropped of the net.:roll:

It's from a website for an AvP CCG.

Sorry Oz.
Does look cool don't it?:)

Kevin
The Sarge's Site

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:54 pm 
Hmm...I've done glass etching with an acidic paste and stencils...I wonder if you can still get that stuff?

Off to google I go!

Jesse
"Happiness is a warm smartgun."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:05 pm 
Go Jesse go:D

<span style="color:black;font-family:FederationBold;font-size:medium;]Adapt-Overcome-Survive

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:09 am 
Okay, here we are:
Armour Etch

Man I love Google :) This is the exact same stuff I used to do an etching of a Wood Duck onto a mirror back in about '83 or '84. That thing won me a blue ribbon at a local scholastic art show :D

Here's the basics. Get yourself a little jar of Armour Etch glass etching compound. Follow safety directions on the bottle regarding use, etc. Print onto adhesive film or otherwise trace out onto contact paper the design of your choice. Attach to the item to be etched. Carefully cut the design into the film, then peel out the areas to be etched. Apply the Armour Etch following directions, and voila'!

I'll create an example when I have time to get down to the local hobby store.

Jesse

Post subject: Re: The Alien Legacy Convention Banners
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:17 pm 
I am definately going next year!

Wouldn't miss it for the world! Don't know if I'll drive down again though.:roll:

The table was a great idea, but don't forget it was meant as a meeting point for us grunts. It did serve it's purpose and was pretty cool, but there was a drawback- the table had to be manned at all times. FNG and I stayed there most of Friday, and took turns when we wanted something to drink or eat. Saturday we decided to give up on the table because we wanted to go around the convention.

It wouldn't be fun being tied down to a fan table for the whole convention, but if there is a lot of us interested for next year this may not be a problem if we take turns. Or do it for one day like this year.

Just my two cents.:)

*EDIT* I have to add that ALL credit goes to FNG for the fan table and banner this year. It was a superb idea and was a lot of fun.:D
Kevin
The Sarge's Site

Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ssgtburton>SSgt Burton[/url] at: 9/9/03 11:27 am

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:40 pm 
that armour etch sounds very cool

alot of cool designs you could do

I heard from FNG that there is a sketch it program that takes pics & makes them look like sketches

anyone know??

OFF TO GOOGLE I GO

ehhe

cpl. neokramer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:42 pm 
So you guys are planning on going again next year? Table, sign and all? That gives me hope...I plan on going next year, but that's a long way down the line. I planned on going this year and look what happened.

Post subject: The Alien Legacy Convention Banners
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:01 pm 
I've got a contact with another propping group (SG-1) that can likely get us a WALL sized banner printed, and a large table banner / parade banner. We had one at the 501st table at Wondercon in S.F., and we had both types at Comic Con in San Diego. (let me know if these images work for you...)

[img]http://www.sg-command.net/albums/album97/abd.sized.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sg-command.net/albums/albun31/aad.sized.jpg[/img]
You'll notice what t-shirt I'm wearing here ;)

We should be able to get some nice Aliens ones printed as well. Maybe get several sets printed for key folks that tend to hit a lot of cons (our guys out here the S.F. region, Spat for back East, FNG for middle states?, some folks in Europe & UK maybe?).

What do you guys think? Now's the time to start planning for this kind of thing. Plus, if we do several sets, we may need to get donations from interested parties.

Jesse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:07 pm 
That IS one drawback to a fan table (as I've learned doing the SGC table at BayCon, Fanime, & SDCC this year), but there's plenty of good things to go with it ;)

Preachin' to the choir, I know, but bear with me as I enumerate :D
1.We help generate continued interest in the Franchise (ask MGM about this with their rabid SG fans, and how it lead to them bringing back Daniel Jackson & creating Stargate: Atlantis :) )
2.This in turn translates into more sales and interest for the other franchise licensees (MR, McFarlane Toys, Dark Horse, etc.)
3.Serves as a central meeting point where you're always guarenteed to run into other Marines (we spend half our SGC time just bs'ing at the table ;) ). Good mustering out point to go attack Troopers, do a photo shoot, skin Klingons, go to the parade, go to the bar, etc.
4.We get to show off all our hard work :D For the SGC booth we often have dummies up with several outfits (if there's room), and props / costumes / cool things displayed on the table and sometimes hung on the wall behind.

Anyways, off the soapbox I go ;)
Jesse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:24 pm 
Quote:
Quote:I heard from FNG that there is a sketch it program that takes pics & makes them look like sketches

use photoshop. if you dont have it, email it to me at CJRipper@att.net

Ripper

-Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:09 pm 
Another question. :) So you guys did get a table afterall? I know Chris had one on reserve, so one opened up? So what happened at the table? Anyone stop by to ask questions...what?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:06 pm 
Yeah Chris got us the table. When I arrived on Friday afternoon, Chris wasn't there yet, so I decided to gear up and walk around the Con for a bit.

At around 2pm or so I made my way back to our table and Chris was there in full FNG gear.:D (Yeah he was tooled to nines with grenades!)

We basically answered people's questions (most were "who are you guys supposed to be?":roll: ), handed out cards that FNG had made (with the banner logo, and links to the Aliens board and various Aliens sites) and posed for pictures (lots of them!:D ).

It was fun, but would be a lot better next year with more of us and more gear to show off.

Funny story: Chris leaves to go get a drink, leaving me alone at the table. A group of guys walks up carrying several large boxes and stops right in front of our table. The lead guy takes one look at the USCM banner and yells, "WHAT IS THIS!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!! THIS IS TABLE 35!! WE RESERVED THIS TABLE!!". He looked like he was going to have a heart attack right there. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.
I answered him by saying this is table 36 reserved for the Colonial Marines group. His friend walks up, and says to him "Ok let's not fly off the handle, I'll go and ask the head guy" (or whatever). Turns out they were wrong; they had the empty table next to us. The second guy comes up to me afterward and apologizes for his friend saying he found out he only has six months left to live and gets excited easily.
Chris comes back and I told him he missed all the action.:roll:

I don't know, but if it were me, and I was told I had six months left to live, I wouldn't waist my time getting angry at anything.

For about an hour, we had to endure another guy sitting at that table, who wouldn't shut up, thought he knew everything and anything about the movie Aliens (especially the marines), and went so far as to try and convince us the smartgun is a lazer weapon- he said he read it in the Technical Manual!:roll:

But for the most part, the table was a lot of fun!:lol:
Kevin
The Sarge's Site

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:30 pm 
I guess next year you need to bring a Manual with you then..;)

...and some one adept at telling schmucks that the other side of the room would be a much safer place for them...:twisted:

Ohh yess...Smart gus use lasers....Pulse rifles shoot milk duds...and aliein brains taste like pumkin pie..:lol:

Matt
[img]http://www.image-hosting.net/images/messageboard/knightshayd/lstsoulsbanner.gif]