The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 am 

Am I posting this in the right place? I decided to give it a shot and make one for iPhone & iPad but wanted to ask for opinions/suggestions from hardcore Alien fans.

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVcOMD0qaUg

Yes, it does not track real motion and is a novelty application only. Right now it is fully attached to the device gyroscopes and rotates realistically when you walk around. I also recently updated it to add random movements to the alien dots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZvYEgFBFc

I know it's not perfect (distance reading is placeholder for example) but I intend on updating this once I implement distance readings based off the white dots.

Any suggestions? please post them here, thanks!

Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 am 
Duke Bronson

The tone should become higher pitched when the bogies get closer. Other than that, pretty boss. :delta:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:32 am 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Is this going to be apple products specific? I have a motion tracker app for my droid phone, and while nifty (also rotates when you rotate, has the sweeping blip) it falls short of my hopes. It NEVER finds enemies to track. I just sweeps emptiness.

You any affiliation with that one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:35 am 
Bacon Rapscallion

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.72136E1
That's awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:06 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I need a smart phone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:15 am 

I just down loaded one motion tracker to my android. No demos in my house ..sadness. you should put your app on the Google play store please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 am 
Badass in training

Service Number: A11/TQ0.0.12146G1
The one I've got on my Android makes a 'contact' noise, but it isn't the right noise. :(

69th Regt. 1st Batt. Homer's Heroes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Is there any chance you could make this work on the older versions of OS?
My iPod is a 1st gen and can't run anything using a higher OS than 2.5 or something (def below 3.2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys! any opinions and suggestions all help greatly :) I'll do my best to answer some of the questions...

SFC Baldwin wrote:
The tone should become higher pitched when the bogies get closer. Other than that, pretty boss. :delta:

This is definitely on my list of things to do once I get the distance readings into place :D

bigbisont wrote:
Is this going to be apple products specific? I have a motion tracker app for my droid phone, and while nifty (also rotates when you rotate, has the sweeping blip) it falls short of my hopes. It NEVER finds enemies to track. I just sweeps emptiness.

You any affiliation with that one?

No, I have only made this one and released it for iOS only so far.

MattRendar wrote:
I just down loaded one motion tracker to my android. No demos in my house ..sadness. you should put your app on the Google play store please

I intend to look into porting this to Android. They have a slightly different way of accessing the gyros so a simple port didn't work on my first attempt and requires a bit more work.

Voltane wrote:
The one I've got on my Android makes a 'contact' noise, but it isn't the right noise. :(

This is exactly why I made one myself. No one has made one that felt or sounded right!

88reaper88 wrote:
Is there any chance you could make this work on the older versions of OS?
My iPod is a 1st gen and can't run anything using a higher OS than 2.5 or something (def below 3.2)

I think the bigger issue here is not the firmware but the hardware. Sadly anything 3GS and before (as far as I know) do not have the necessary gyroscopes which I require to make it rotate :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:53 pm 

Fantastic and absolutely worth the buck I paid. Just a few things to report...

When I start the app, sometimes the "contact" sound effect is already playing even though nothing is onscreen. If I hit the X it does go away.

What I would love to see...

1)Selectable Modes on the main screen.

Mode 1:Exactly as it is now. User must tap screen to add static targets wherever they like.
Mode 2:Same except targets are not static and will move to marine.
Mode 3:Targets randomly show up (tap once and only once to start entire routine) and start to move to marine. When a target gets "killed" you can tap that target and it vanishes. The rest of the targets still continuing to close until they are all dead or you are eaten.

So far so good and I think you really have something here! Have you considered using the GPS function to make a simulation where the range etc can in fact move? Just pipe dreams I'm sure. This is already way better than anything I've seen before.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:32 pm 

Thanks for the excellent feedback!

This is what I want to hear from you guys. I will add every suggestion to the box of ideas and think it over what to do next. With that being said, the latest update (1.0.1) that I submitted a while back has finally gone live and includes the ground work to make the dots move more dynamically!

Pepperpete wrote:

When I start the app, sometimes the "contact" sound effect is already playing even though nothing is onscreen. If I hit the X it does go away.

Mode 1:Exactly as it is now. User must tap screen to add static targets wherever they like.
Mode 3:Targets randomly show up (tap once and only once to start entire routine) and start to move to marine. When a target gets "killed" you can tap that target and it vanishes. The rest of the targets still continuing to close until they are all dead or you are eaten.

So far so good and I think you really have something here! Have you considered using the GPS function to make a simulation where the range etc can in fact move? Just pipe dreams I'm sure. This is already way better than anything I've seen before.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 pm 

Just downloaded this to my 4s, WOW, love it! Nice work DemonNite.

Cheers,
Neil.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:21 pm 

I just tried the new version. I'm not a fan of the dots moving all over the place except they won't come towards "me". Is there any way to have the dots slowly start to move towards the target? They also seem as if they are moving way too fast. Please understand that I am not insulting your awesome program, just throwing out my feedback. :)

DemonNite wrote:

This is what I want to hear from you guys. I will add every suggestion to the box of ideas and think it over what to do next. With that being said, the latest update (1.0.1) that I submitted a while back has finally gone live and includes the ground work to make the dots move more dynamically!

Pepperpete wrote:

Last edited by Pepperpete on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:27 pm 
THAT guy

Pepperpete wrote:
I just tried the new version. I'm not a fan of the dots moving all over the place except towards "me". Is there any way to have the dots slowly start to move towards the target? They also seem as if they are moving way too fast. P

+1.

In full disclosure, I dont have an apple device and havent seen it in action, but when you mentioned "dynamic" enemies, my first thought was "like bouncing around?".

If so, I agree with the above comment in that they should simply close in slowly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:14 pm 
Matser of Typos

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.12141E1
neat!!!! Gonna go dl now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

If you do this for Android, please try and make it run on v2.1 Eclair - The Motorola Flipout I have is about the right size to fit into the slide viewer, making a nifty low-ish cost mod to bring us all working MTs!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 pm 

No, please continue with the feedback! this is why I'm here asking you guys :D

For those unsure about what I meant about "dynamic" here is a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZvYEgFBFc

I totally will look into making the dots move towards the "player" and look into the speed. Ideally they shouldn't even appear to move slowly at all, am I right? it should be more of a "phased" movement where they jump forward every few "beeps". But hey, correct me if I'm wrong :)

Pepperpete wrote:
I just tried the new version. I'm not a fan of the dots moving all over the place except they won't come towards "me". Is there any way to have the dots slowly start to move towards the target? They also seem as if they are moving way too fast. Please understand that I am not insulting your awesome program, just throwing out my feedback. :)

DemonNite wrote:

Pepperpete wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm 

You are not wrong at all. Spot on in fact. They should phase as the pulse goes over. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 am 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
With mention of needing gyros in the device, I assumed my version 1 iPad had them (as apps such as Star Walk moves the star field depending where you point/tilt/twist the iPad), but the main tracker screen doesn't spin like it does in that YT vid. :|

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:48 pm 

Just by looking around at the tech specs of iPad 1 (and google) it does seem like that it is missing the gyroscopes in the first iPad generation :(

Hearing that Star Walk can "mimic" a similar type of tilt/twist mechanic is interesting and I would love to find out how they achieved this without the gyro chip.

PVB wrote:
With mention of needing gyros in the device, I assumed my version 1 iPad had them (as apps such as Star Walk moves the star field depending where you point/tilt/twist the iPad), but the main tracker screen doesn't spin like it does in that YT vid. :|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 pm 
THAT guy

DemonNite wrote:
Just by looking around at the tech specs of iPad 1 (and google) it does seem like that it is missing the gyroscopes in the first iPad generation :(

Hearing that Star Walk can "mimic" a similar type of tilt/twist mechanic is interesting and I would love to find out how they achieved this without the gyro chip.

PVB wrote:

Im not 100% on the ipad1, but I know I had an old sony ericsson cell phone that had movement features that were detected by the camera. Any way you can tap into what the camera is noticing as movement to rotate the screen on non-gyro devices?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:53 pm 

bigbisont wrote:
DemonNite wrote:

PVB wrote:

I would guess that the camera movement detected on an "old" phone wouldve just looked for random movements which could not translate into a real direction e.g. it would not know if the movement was left or right, just a blur.

Newer hardware can of course track this a bit better but you mostly find those in for example, Kinect for Xbox 360.

Anyway - iPad 1 also didn't have a camera in the first generation :(

Im not 100% on the ipad1, but I know I had an old sony ericsson cell phone that had movement features that were detected by the camera. Any way you can tap into what the camera is noticing as movement to rotate the screen on non-gyro devices?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
DemonNite wrote:

PVB wrote:

If you need me to beta test an update, I'm available. :wink:

Looking forward to more SA updates anyway. 8)

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:36 pm 
95.2.00 - Adios Man!

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.02160E1
Very cool.

I'd agree maybe with a sound and icon getting closer. Plus the bleep when a icon is detected the sound is good but makes a burst/swish at the end. Needs cleaning up.

Other than that, very cool App.

Thanks
-Callum

13th Regt. 1st Batt. 'Freebooters'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:50 pm 

Want to take a sneak peak at what is coming to the 1.0.2 update?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziv3c4y_duA

Coming soon (once some things are looked at).