The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: My (no longer) micro-budget Dropship pilot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:39 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I really hadn't intended to do a Dropship Pilot impression, but when I happened upon a helmet it just seemed like it was worth considering. Here's where I've gotten so far:

Attachment:
022 (4).JPG
022 (4).JPG [ 152.03 KiB | Viewed 13663 times ]

All the patches are on, but I've got to fix that collar:

Attachment:
021 (4).JPG
021 (4).JPG [ 125.61 KiB | Viewed 13663 times ]

Looking at the photos of Ferro on Harry's site I see that she had hardly any collar at all, so I'll need to modify that. I'll be doing a screen accurate nametape (i.e. Sharpie lettering) as I don't feel like ordering more nametapes from Camotech at the moment.

The ship patch on my shoulder is the oversized Sulaco patch I modified into a USS Conrad patch a few months back. On the shoulder it doesn't look as outlandishly large as it did on the front pocket of my BDU's.

The real work will be in making that helmet screen accurate(ish). I'm not going to kill myself over every little greeble on the sides, but I do want to match it as closely as I reasonably can.

Has anyone made a cast of the recreated helmet sides? That would be one option I suppose. My first job is to recreate the front plate. I'm not going to worry about the smoked part that pulls down, but the plate is a must. Looks like a plastic mixing bowl would be a good place to start.

Last edited by retrogarde on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Micro-budget Dropship pilot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:58 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
damn dude! You are just a freight train of everything Aliens! Your juggling projects and knockin' em out like nobody's business. Cool stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:14 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks man, I've got another project primed to drop in the next day or so 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Does your helmet have a boom mic?
I have an OEM arm if you need one. You'll still need the microphone and mounting hardware though.

Let me know if you need one, gratis.

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:47 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Russ: the helmet is just the shell, I'll need to find or fabricate all the eblls and whistles, so thank you very much! PM inbound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
No problem. I had to buy like a dozen of them just to get one, so I have a couple left.
Still haven't refurbed the spare helmet I have either. Should get on that one of these years...

Look at eBay for parts, also check out I believe flighthelmets.com or flightsuits.com.

One of them sells parts for the SPH-4 helmet.

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:45 pm 

Excellent start. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:59 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.62152E1
Yea i have all the patches, the jumpsuit, boots, pistol belt, vp70, holster, pulse rifle. I just have to put it all together. Got comicon next weekend. gotta be squared away. I hope i can win this helmet in time.

A01/TQ2.0.52152E1
Cpl Waldon B, Callsign: Waldo New York-USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 am 
Call down the Thunder

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.12149E1
What boots do you wear

Dropship Argonne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 am 
Prop Churner Outer

I'm probably sticking with my black and green jungle boots, but I believe Dropship Pilots may have worn all black in the film. Pretty sure Ferro did at least as all the female Marines wore black. Bigbisont is the expert though!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
retrogarde wrote:
I'm probably sticking with my black and green jungle boots, but I believe Dropship Pilots may have worn all black in the film. Pretty sure Ferro did at least as all the female Marines wore black. Bigbisont is the expert though!

Hey, I'm trying anyways! But yeah, everything I have been able to gather shows the females, Gorman, and the drop ship flight crew all wore black leather combat boots. Everyone else had the OD jungle.

I also read an article on the footwear of Vietnam era chopper pilots and it was clear they would never wear the same boots the troops on the ground would use. Their boots would have less intense patterns on the bottom to avoid hanging up on the foot pedals and stuff like that. Black leather combat/jump boots seem the best choice for the pilots.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:52 pm 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.12129E1
aliens is heavily nam influenced, alot of helo pilots wouldnt wear the jungle boots cos they were worried about the nylon parts melting on them and they felt that leather is more protective,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.72144E1
bigbisont wrote:
retrogarde wrote:

Hey, I'm trying anyways! But yeah, everything I have been able to gather shows the females, Gorman, and the drop ship flight crew all wore black leather combat boots. Everyone else had the OD jungle.

I also read an article on the footwear of Vietnam era chopper pilots and it was clear they would never wear the same boots the troops on the ground would use. Their boots would have less intense patterns on the bottom to avoid hanging up on the foot pedals and stuff like that. Black leather combat/jump boots seem the best choice for the pilots.

It's not true that 'Nam chopper pilots never wore jungle boots- some did, prefering the comfort/breathability that the canvas and vents gave in the hot climate....But they had to swallow the risk of melting in a fire situation. Likewise, the issued nomex copy of the standard tropical uniform was not popular as it was very hot to wear.

If you look at (say) Shelby Stanton's seminal book on Vietnam War uniforms, you'll see a LOT of group pictures of pilots wearing a mix of the (authorised) black leather combat boot, DMS and (unauthorised for flight crew) jungle boots....Further, pilots tend to get a lot of leyway sooner that ground troops when it comes to variation in their chosen equipment- this is mostly due to pilots having more access to the juicy stuff from the base areas they flew to.

From a US Marine perspective, they persisted with the all leather DMS combat boot in Vietnam due to a combination of supply chain issues and the perception that the DMS boot was simply smarter in appearance....Likewise, even in the Army and Navy, you would see the all leather boot worn by base/command personnel with the Fatigue uniform, even in units where everyone had ample issue of Jungle boots to go with the Tropical Combat Uniform that was used in the field- it was authorised wear and perceived that the all leather boot looked 'neater'. Some went the whole hog and bought an extra pair of dress Corcoran Jump Boots in black at the PX.

How I believe this cascades upwards to Aliens- and in particular Gorman is that his uniform is close to based on the standard Fatigue sateen uniform you see on command staff, base personnel and (dare I say it) is synomous with the REMF in the rear with the gear....Note how different it is to rest of the platoon's gear- sensible officers during Vietnam wore the same gear as their NCOs and troops to reduce the risk of being picked out as a target of oppurtunity- not even wearing rank insignia and carrying the same load of ammo and an M16.....The difference in uniform and equipment is another little touch to mark Gorman out as someone not in tune with his sub-ordinates, his role and still too 'green' to really command in the field.....Something that would be clear to most Vets watching Aliens during the 1980s.

Or that's how I see it. ;)

"Checklists Save Lives- No Service Stations at 30,000ft"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:38 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

So here's an update: I've got a set of Stephen's side greeblies coming, I just won a GENTEX visor housing on evilbay, and Russ thinks he might have a spare OEM arm for the mic. I have the woven cable already, and a set of headphones to cannibalize for the ear pieces. I'll need to improvise the rest of the interior and the mic itself unless I find one cheap. This became a bit of a splurge all of a sudden for me. I blame J2H!! 8)

Then there's the question of markings or graffiti. Still loving what Mole did on hers, but I also like one I saw on the RPF that just had a stenciled number on the front. Super generic and fun!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:44 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

I have an inner helmet web suspension liner, if you need that.

It is not accurate, but it will do the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 am 
Call down the Thunder

I'm watching a boom arm on "that large auction site"

Dropship Argonne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:03 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Noble: that would be great! PM inbound.

J2H: good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:32 pm 
Call down the Thunder

I need the inner suspension liner, boom mic/arm, and the visor control knob widget...

ALSO... what boots are recommended? I keep finding Rothco, but I hear they may be substandard

Dropship Argonne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:36 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

My Gentex visor housing arrived, and came with a visor! It's clear, but i may try some of that spray-on window tint to make it dark.

So I don't have the bells and whistles for attaching the visor housing to the helmet, so I've improvised. This black foam came with some sort of electronic device, possibly my XBox? I traced it out and cut it down to size. With a coat of OD paint it should look pretty spiffy.

Attachment:
IMG_2072.JPG
IMG_2072.JPG [ 365.49 KiB | Viewed 13297 times ]

With a few bolts I've attached it to the visor housing with room to attach it to the helmet.

Attachment:
IMG_2073.JPG
IMG_2073.JPG [ 396.01 KiB | Viewed 13297 times ]

Here'a the front of the housing. I'm still deciding on what to put here. It's such a nice big space, it sort of screams "draw on me!".

Attachment:
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG [ 355.5 KiB | Viewed 13297 times ]

More updates coming soon. I just bought the microphone mouthpiece for $7 on eBay. The seller still has nine more if anyone is looking! :delta:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:30 pm 
Call down the Thunder

Lookin' good

Dropship Argonne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 am 
Built for comfort not speed

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.92142E1
love your build threads dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Two photos of the helmet, visor, and visor housing (mostly) attached. I've got to say, this build is making me really nostalgic for my youth. I first saw Aliens in '89-'90 when I was about 12 or so. I had this beat up old helmet even back then and would wear it when my best friend and I would play Colonial Marines with our Lazer Tag rifles. Somehow I never noticed that it actually was the right helmet for the pilots! Over the years I've almost gotten rid of of it a few times and always thought better of it at the last second. So seeing this thing come together is making me damn proud.

Attachment:
IMG_2076.JPG
IMG_2076.JPG [ 325.6 KiB | Viewed 13263 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2077.JPG [ 330.34 KiB | Viewed 13263 times ]

I took the helmet to my local hardware store and I think we have a solution for the visor knob. Pics coming soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:24 pm 
Call down the Thunder

Good to see more drop pilots aboard

Dropship Argonne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:13 am 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
Very nice looking. with all the DS talk on here makes me want to make one...