The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: question at the WGC airsoft site
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:47 pm 
i am trying to buy a M1A1 thompson, now they took the mony 5 day's ago and after reading the expected shipping info it say's the rifle won't be mailed untill the 9th...now this pisses me off since i payed for 3 day shipping

i tryed to get intouch with them but their "contact us" does not work

does WGC usally screw with people like this?

Pain can be avoided by not caring

Post subject: Re: question at the WGC airsoft site
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:48 pm 
WGC is, without a doubt, THE busiest overseas retailer. ESPECIALLY at this time of year. They are always running a warning in the popup banner to expect delays. You will get your M1A1 Thompson in, they are very reliable, you just have to expect a delay.
Ryan Chorzempa
Veritas necnon decus, etiam valedico.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:06 am 
Nubbie,

Brah, how much it cost you for the 3 day shipping out of HK (EMS?)?
Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=menatarms>MENATARMS[/url] at: 9/4/03 7:07 pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:11 am 
66 USD

they said it should be sent in the mail tomm...uhhh today:P damn insomnia

edit: btw i paird for a 350 upgrade...don't think that affects the price but i thought i should mention it

Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=anubianwarrior>Anubian Warrior[/url] at: 9/4/03 9:14 pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:38 am 
Usually, shipping on a Thompson will run you about $75 or so.
Unless they've jacked up the pricing again. When I used to order them it was $50 for shipping, then ALL the HK companies raised their shipping costs across the board.

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:17 pm 
Did they specify what exactly you're getting in that upgrade?
For a while there some of the HK sellers would just slap in an M120 spring and call it an "upgrade" and not upgrade any of the other components.

People would get their guns, fire a few mags through and "zing" the gears would strip out.

Rook

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:42 pm 
no ideal rook, i payed 15 bucks for a simple upgrade....i wasn't gonna expect something grade A but something that will last....anyone know a place that would sell replacment pieces if the gun breaks?

btw rook it say's you were able to increase the cyclic rate on your thompson, can you e-mail me how you did that?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:16 pm 
WGC sells virtually every part available to Airsoft.
Ryan Chorzempa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:44 am 
I replaced the stock plastic bushings in the mechbox with bearings. What bearings do is reduce the friction between the gears and the bearings. Less friction means they spin easier/faster.

Having said that, whenever you "upgrade" your gun you run the risk of it dying that much faster.

Another way to increase your ROF is to run a higher voltage battery... HOWEVER... doing so also increases wear and tear on the gears which will result in the blowing of a gear.

When upgrading, it's usually not a matter of IF you'll blow a gear, it's a matter of WHEN it will happen. From experience, I know you tend to run into more problems the more you upgrade your gun. More powerful springs lead to more gear wear and motor stress.

If upgrading your spring, you also MUST upgrade your bushings. Oiless metal bushings are durable and may last you for years. However, friction will be the same between metal and plastic bushings. Bearings will allow your ROF to go back up after the addition of a more powerful spring, but they will generally NOT last as long as a new set of metal bushings.

And when a bearing blows, you WILL need to replace a set of gears.

Basic "Level 1" upgrade: Systema M100 Spring (330-350fps), Systema Oiless metal bushings or bearings, new gear shims, original OEM gears.

Basic "Level 2" upgrade: Systema M120 spring (400fps), Systema Oiless Metal bushings, shims, High Torque gears,
Possibly a 9.6v battery and/or tightbore barrel.

WTF are you doing "Level 3" upgrade: 10.8v battery, high torque 2 gears, Systema M130 (or higher) spring, bearing spring guide, metal bushings (don't even try bearings), shims, possibly a tightbore barrel.

The level 1 upgrade gives you decent durability, it's pretty cheap, and a decent performance boost.

Keep in mind that if you ever plan on using your PR in a skirmish in THIS country, many locations have a 400fps limit. Some even run a 300fps limit. Honestly, unless you're running a sniper rifle there's NO REASON you need an airsoft gun that shoots in excess of 400fps. Unless you're using it to keep coyotes or dingos off the ranch. :D

Rook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:34 am 
Here is what is in my M41A:

Systema Version 6 Bushings (For the oval bushings)
Systema Piston Head with Bearing
Systema High Speed Helical Gears
Systema Short High Speed Motor
Systema M100 Spring
Systema Bearing Bushings (For the rest of the bushings)
Systema M1A1 Air Nozzel
Guarder Polycarbonate Piston
Systema Spring Guide with Bearing
KM TN M1A1 Tightbore Barrel
Ryan Chorzempa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:54 am 
Ack. I personally stay away from the high speed gears as I've seen tooooo many sets of those buggers blow a nut in the middle of a skirmish. The rest of your setup looks pretty darn good to me.

And actually, I too got the type 6 oiless metal bushings for that one oblong bushing, and installed bearings in the "normal" positions. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:57 am 
I had trouble with the Super High Speed gears on my old M16 LSW, but those are pretty light by design. These High Speed Helicals are extremely durable, and yet very fast too. Definitely recommended.
Ryan Chorzempa