The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: My Pulse Rifle build
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:54 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
So before I discovered this site I made a trade with a friend for a resin Pulse Rifle that was listed in eBay:

Attachment:
$(KGrHqR,!jIE6IprjQjRBOmeCee5D!~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqR,!jIE6IprjQjRBOmeCee5D!~~60_12.JPG [ 41.93 KiB | Viewed 19518 times ]

Once I read Venger's account of putting together a "difficult" resin kit I started to get worried that I'd made a bad choice. So then I get an email from my friend, saying he had received the Pulse Rifle from the seller and opened it to make sure nothing was broken. Here's the photo he attached:

Attachment:
pulserifle.jpg
pulserifle.jpg [ 76.76 KiB | Viewed 19518 times ]

He mentioned that there was another piece loose in the box (the pump-action grip for the grenade launcher). So on one hand I am relieved that this kit looks pretty damn good, but I'm also confused as the auction clearly stated it would be sent as 7 pieces and require assembling. Also, in the first picture the pump action part appears to be cast with the rest of the gun and not a separate part.

The kit should arrive at my house in the next day or two, so until then all I can do is make plans. I had actually intended to replace the grip and trigger with part of an Airsoft tommy gun (just to have a moving trigger) and I bought an LED counter from Spat, so now I need to figure out how to fit these things into an already assembled resin PR.

I'm open to any suggestions folks might have!

Post subject: Re: My Pulse Rifle build
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:20 am 

Do i understand right? The top pic was how the Pulse Rifle was advertised on feepay, and the pic below is the actual delivered product?
2 different Pulse Rifles i see.

The Pic on top looks like Spats, ore more probaply like a recast of Spats Spulse...

The pic below is a recast of an Icons PR...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 am 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Barney five is right.
Spat confirmed that the first pic shows a poor recast of a Spulse sold on xBay.
There a couple of good topics showing how to build/assemble these kind of kits.
Good luck with it Marine.

Cheers
Frank

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:04 pm 
Lifer

577_ops wrote:
Spat confirmed that the first pic shows a poor recast of a Spulse sold on xBay.
There a couple of good topics showing how to build/assemble these kind of kits.

Yes, but the PR he received is not a Spat recast, it is a recast of an ICONS Pulse Rifle. It is already assembled (with the exception of the pump grip) and is one massive hunk of resin.

The bottom of the magazine base should confirm this (unless the recaster has removed the ICONS logo and "ALIENS" that were molded into the rifle base).

As for adding a counter... that might take a lot of work. The magazine/shroud will be solid resin. I would imagine you would have to dremel out an opening in the bottom up to where the counter would fit in place (the ICONS PR had no working counter, it was simulated). Not a small task. :(

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:30 pm 
reload

Yes Kevin the second pic is an icon recast.
It would better have been a Spulse or a Spulse recast then the Counter would be less work.

With a Spulse you can do great things.
I hope to show this in another topic.
Already enough hijacking the topic here.
Anyway good luck to the builder.

-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:14 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

This isn't hijacking at all! This is just what I needed to hear. I'm really bummed that it is a recast because I don't want to support that practice at all, but I was really confused at the difference between what was advertised and what is being delivered.

When it arrives I'll look to see if there is either an Icons logo or evidence of where there would have been one. In any case I think you are right. I checked out Harry's page on the Icon so I have an idea of where my PR started: http://www.harryharris.com/pr.htm

I haven't worked with resin before so I don't know how much I really can do with the counter. I wonder if I can carve out enough space in the side to hide the batteries and then make a panel out of thin plastic or metal that would go over it, perhaps with a few embedded magnets to hold it in place. Just thinking out loud.

Also, someone on here mentioned using a thin retractable box cutter as a slide mechanism for the grenade launcher. Depending on how the pieces line up (and if I can make it sturdy) I might try that too. Anything I can do to add a little functionality to this thing would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:54 pm 
reload

Hi retrogarde,

It real depends on the strength of the resin what you can do with it.
Real counter, Battery, removable mag (with real Thompson clip) and Noble mag taps, working trigger, movable grenade launcher grip, light, ....
I have done all this with Spat's Spulse.

Depending on the amount of money you want to spend on it you could for example ask Armourer for a real Spas grip/handle.

With some experience with a Dremel a lot can be done.

Good luck.

P.S.: Once you have separated it in two halves don't use ONLY glue.
For Spat's Spulse I only used screws and I can assure you with all the metal attached it holds very nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:28 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

Maybe all the nasty messages we've been sending him finally convinced him to stop selling recasts of my Spulse!! Wouldn't that be a wonderful day!

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:39 am 
Prop Churner Outer

The PR arrived in the mail today and sure enough, it has the Icons logo on the bottom. It is going to need some TLC to get it where I want it:

Attachment:
pulsework.jpg
pulsework.jpg [ 415.91 KiB | Viewed 19426 times ]

Lots of filling and sanding in my future I guess. I am strongly considering cutting the barrel/vent area off and rebuilding it out of metal tubing and either plastic or metal sheets. Even if I can't make it 100% SA it still would look better than this.

The trigger guard is quite weak so I think I will snap it off to make it easier to get at the trigger itself as I still want to replace that with a moving piece. Rebuilding the trigger guard later won't be hard.

It's the LED counter that has me worried. I'm actually wondering about drilling straight through in four places and then cutting the whole rectangle out to create a space for the battery pack. I would then rebuild the counter side with the LED in place, and the opposite side with the switch and a way to open it to replace the batteries. This seems easier than trying to carve it out.

Here's what I'm planning to tackle:

Attachment:
pulserifleplan.jpg
pulserifleplan.jpg [ 316.81 KiB | Viewed 19426 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:27 pm 
reload

Just a thought:
For the Counter (and the battery) what about making the Thompson mag base removable?
You could then drill through to the counter area and have the battery easily removable like it’s done for the AirSoft PRs and even have a real mag you could change. The base could also cover the on/off switch.

Have Fun building your PR.

-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:34 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Hey Frank,
I would love to do that but I'm worried about how strong the resin is (or isn't). Having a removable mag would be very, very cool though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:55 pm 
Victim

Service Number: A86/TQ3.4.49421E3
That's basically what I did with a rubbish resin PR I got.

Neatly cut the mag base off, and drilled up into the mag well,
Cleared enough of the mag well out to take one of Spats magazines (fitted into the removed mag base), a battery holder and a switch for the counter, and some latch magnets to help keep the mag in place.
Oh and obviously enough up the top to fit a counter in.

Might have some pics somewhere on another hard drive, will post if I can find them.

Martin

you can't take the PUNK outa Spunkmeyer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:08 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks Martin, that would be very good to see. I didn't realize Spat sold spare magazines. Add it to the list of things I'll be buying from him shortly!

The barrel and vent area came off pretty easily although not in one piece, but that's okay as I plan to rebuild it using photos of the original props anyway. I drilled the four corner holes for where I'm going to house the battery pack and the counter and it seemed to go pretty well. It will take a lot more drilling to get the whole section out though. I haven't touched the trigger yet as I don't have my replacement pieces lined up yet. Once I know what I'm putting in there I can start drilling it out.

I'll put up photos later of how things are looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:43 am 
Victim

Not the best pic but hope it gives you some idea.

I basically did it so I could also add the hi-cap mag (on the left) I made for my PR SAW variant.

Attachment:
magazine.jpg
magazine.jpg [ 227.48 KiB | Viewed 19370 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:04 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Attachment:
cutup.jpg
cutup.jpg [ 53.81 KiB | Viewed 19342 times ]

So here is a quick shot with the barrel removed (in three pieces at top right) and holes drilled for the counter. I'll continue to drill in a line until I can get a saw in to complete the cuts. It doesn't have to be pretty as I will be rebuilding both sides in the end. I'm glad I'm doing this because as I was preparing to drill I noticed the counter on the resin was warped a bit (not 90 degree angles).

I'm also planning to drill out the resin screws and replace them with actual metal screw heads. I don't need them for support, but they would add a nice touch of authenticity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:05 am 
It looks like your going to be giving it the tlc it needs,looking forward to the pics.

Helen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:35 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks Helen! I've never done this before, but I figure if I take it slow and do my best I can't mess it up too bad. The tutorials on this site have been an absolute godsend.

Attachment:
pulsehole.jpg
pulsehole.jpg [ 47.83 KiB | Viewed 19303 times ]

So the hole is cut for the battery pack and the LED counter from Spat. I still need to clean it up and I'll have to putty a few spots that got nicked when I was drilling (there's one just in front of the trigger that's visible in the photo), but all in all it was a successful venture.

I'm still considering sawing the mag base off the bottom, hollowing out the center where the magazine slides into the PR and either scratch building a magazine on the resin bottom or buying one of Spats. My only hesitation with buying one is that I don't know for sure that it will fit (or match). So I may just create my own. I have an idea for holding it in place based on some magnetic latches I saw at Home Depot. They are spring loaded, so that when you push it it clicks in. Push it again and the whole thing comes out half an inch. It might make a nice simulation for "slapping" it in hard like Hicks recommended.

Here's a link (they also sell doubles):

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202200670/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=magnetic+latch&storeId=10051

I'm also working out a sturdy option for having the shotgun grip slide using part of an expanding curtain rod. And magnets. Always magnets... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:11 am 
I agree take it nice and slow.

Looking forward to the updates and pictures

Helen

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:52 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32148G1
I put the first pic up a while ago when i spotted it, definitely a recast of spats fine workmanship but glad to see they appear to have stopped recasting the spulse.

Looks as though you have this kit under control and it should look pretty damn good when you finish it, can't wait to see the end result.

Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day. (The Grey)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:16 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks DK! I'm bummed that I got duped into buying a recast, but somehow I'm glad that at least it wasn't a recast of Spat's work. Does that make sense? Icons being a large company and Spat being a home business? I don't know, it's shades of gray really.

Attachment:
testfit.jpg
testfit.jpg [ 51.58 KiB | Viewed 19246 times ]

So the counter from Spat arrived, and it fits right in! Next step will be to rebuild the counter side with plastic sheet and putty, and then make the opposite side accessible for battery removal. Still toying with where the switch for the counter should go...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:27 pm 
reload

Good progress.

You should see Spat's resin to make a comparison here. The movable SPAS grip/handle is a slight advantage though.
What about placing the switch where the trigger for the grenade launcher would be? If you love some extra work you might even put a grenade launcher trigger there and use it as a switch.

Anyway thanks for sharing your progress.

-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:00 pm 

It's a different one to the kit I had but looks like it'll need just as much work. You're on the right track anyway. Just loads of sanding and filing.
Oh and I'd really recommend a mask and goggles as that resin will play havoc with your eyes and lungs.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:19 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
One good spot for the counter switch would be the side where your battery cover will be, as nobody looks on that side of the PR. :wink:

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:43 pm 
Victim

Just a thought, regarding removing the base and fitting a mag, where you now have the battery pack will stop a correct size mag from going all the way in.
So it may not be worth doing, or have a pretty short mag to go in there, which may look a little odd.

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:58 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Vanger: You're build taught me a lot! Thanks man!
Steve: that's what I'm thinking too. I really don't have a good angle for hollowing out where the grenade launcher trigger ought to be, so I think putting the switch there is just too much work. Maybe I can still make the switch not stand out too badly.
Martin: yup, you're right. Damn. I think the removable mag will just have to be in the wish-list for my next PR.