The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: My armour build. (Pic heavy)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm 

FINALLY I have my armour. I can take more pics if you'd like to see any specific item.
Well I'll do a quick overview/review.

Ugh. This is not pretty. I've no idea why the hell it's green! I guess he painted it, but it's crap. Not that it matters as I'm painting it anyway. The plastic is dirty and it smells. Not a plastic smell, a smell of this crap plastic has been sitting in a warehouse for months.

The armour is pretty thick except for the helmet which feels rather flimsy. I guess it was cast from a much thinner piece of ABS.

As you can see from the pics the detailing isn't the greatest. Alot of the lines are as straight as a politician answering questions.

I've absolutely NO IDEA why the hell there's a 'sticky out bit' on the chest plate. What in the hell is that for? WHY is it there? The front and back should both be flat, right? I'm really pissed off about that. But It's my fault I guess as I didn't check the pictures on his website properly.

The lobster plates...Well 1 of them is made of ABS the other looks like it has fiberglass on the back of it. No idea why he did that or why they wern't separated.
The leg armour looks a bit...odd. I'm guessing the longest ones go at the front of the shin and the smaller goes at the back.

Initial impressions are not good. If I had to give it a score out of 10 I'd give it a 4.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll begin the trimming tomorrow.

Last edited by Venger on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Please see my post about faeces and the buffing of said faeces in your PR thread.

Believe it or not, I've seen worse!
It looks salavable.

May I ask how much this cost altogether including customs?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:43 pm 

88reaper88 wrote:
Please see my post about faeces and the buffing of said faeces in your PR thread.

Believe it or not, I've seen worse!
It looks salavable.

May I ask how much this cost altogether including customs?

The armour was $285 and shipping was $50. I checked his website earlier and the armour has shot up to $345
I got charged £15 VAT no customs duty. I guess that's because he put the value down as $50

I am hoping I can do something with it, but it'll take a few weeks. I'd do a load on the weekend, but I'm expecting Mass Effect 3 tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:18 pm 
The Good Looking One

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.72144E1
OUCH :-(

Sorry to say mate but if I'm brutally honest that set is Awful I would be gutted if I received that :-(

On the flip side tho I guess if your willing to put in the work it may turn out semi okay ;-)

If it was me in this situation the first thing I'd think to myself is "am I ever gonna be happy with it, once it's finished" ? Personally it would bug the hell out of me forever more :-(

End of the day it's your call but buy your opening couple of sentences It looks as tho you have already made up your mind ???

"Civies We are Leaving"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:33 pm 

Cooper wrote:
OUCH :-(

Sorry to say mate but if I'm brutally honest that set is Awful I would be gutted if I received that :-(

On the flip side tho I guess if your willing to put in the work it may turn out semi okay ;-)

If it was me in this situation the first thing I'd think to myself is "am I ever gonna be happy with it, once it's finished" ? Personally it would bug the hell out of me forever more :-(

End of the day it's your call but buy your opening couple of sentences It looks as tho you have already made up your mind ???

That's exactly how I feel. I'm really caught in two minds. I'll spend hours working on it and it'll look 'nice' when it's finished. I could stick it all on ebay and try and get enough money to get a better set, but then I'm thinking do I want to put in all those hours just to sell it and then put more time and money into another set?
I'll just get on with it and see what it looks like in the end.
I'll have to finish and paint in anyway as nobody would want to buy it with all that work that needs doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:44 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
give it a go you never know you may like it when its all done

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:01 am 
What a shame and how disappointing for you Hun

But what I know and like about you is your enthusiasm.you haven't let it beat you and your going to get on with it,good for you.

I'm certain you will make it look better than it does,I will look forward to the updates

Helen

Post subject: Re: My armour build. (Pic heavy)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:40 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32148G1
I second Helen, it's a real shame that you have fell foul to these obvious unskilled con artists but your enthusiasm keeps you going. Hang in there, im sure you will do a good job as you did with your pulse.

Dear god, what were they thinking with that front section of the armour, why is it there? Can it be removed? Did you pay via paypal? Maybe you could do a dispute over poor workmanship? i really hope you can turn it around and I will def be following your thread.

Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day. (The Grey)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:45 am 

Does the helmet have all the parts such as cam, microphone, ear piece etc? That lobster plate looks dreadful, what was there thinking behind that?!

Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day. (The Grey)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:58 am 
DKMax wrote:
I second Helen, it's a real shame that you have fell foul to these obvious unskilled con artists but your enthusiasm keeps you going. Hang in there, im sure you will do a good job as you did with your pulse.

Dear god, what were they thinking with that front section of the armour, why is it there? Can it be removed? Did you pay via paypal? Maybe you could do a dispute over poor workmanship? i really hope you can turn it around and I will def be following your thread.

Yes that's a good idea hunni,I would be inclined to dispute it too

Helen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:11 am 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
DKMax wrote:
Does the helmet have all the parts such as cam, microphone, ear piece etc? That lobster plate looks dreadful, what was there thinking behind that?!

Their thinking is to make a lot of money by supplying the poorest/cheapest items possible.

The shape on the chest armour looks like an over-emphasised attempt at recreating the angled shape of the TE armour.

The thing which will save this armour is the right attention to fixing the straps and, most importantly, the paint job.

Good luck and keep us updated, like you did with the PR. :)

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:16 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Where did you get this? Looks like a Golden Armor piece of work.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:17 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Yeh its Goldenarmour's work.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:52 pm 

In regard to the helmet. Yeah it has a resin camera and the ear defenders. No mic.
I'm thinking of replacing the camera with a better one.

Today'll just invole trimming the major waste off the pieces. I'll have to use the dremel as it's too thick to cut with scissors and the edges are wobbly and not straight.

If you want to see pics of the resin parts, let me know. I'll get them washed and take some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:40 pm 

Gah. Just noticed there's a piece missing. It's the piece that comes off the shoulders. It's a rectangular shape. I have 1, but there should be 2.
I honestly can't be arsed trying to contact the bloke, but I might have to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:41 pm 

Venger wrote:
Gah. Just noticed there's a piece missing. It's the piece that comes off the shoulders. It's a rectangular shape. I have 1, but there should be 2.

christ, not having much luck are you. best to contact them straight away for a replacement. The sooner you do the sooner you get it. make sure to tell them you are not paying the customs charges either when it arrives as it is their fault. get that lobster plate replaced too while you are at it. looks as though they made it by chewing chewing gum and leaving it to go hard before getting a child to cut it out. Did you get all the strapping and clips etc with the kit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:24 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Knowing goldenarmour's reputation, you'll get nothing if you complain. If anything ask politely.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 pm 

DKMax wrote:
Venger wrote:

christ, not having much luck are you. best to contact them straight away for a replacement. The sooner you do the sooner you get it. make sure to tell them you are not paying the customs charges either when it arrives as it is their fault. get that lobster plate replaced too while you are at it. looks as though they made it by chewing chewing gum and leaving it to go hard before getting a child to cut it out. Did you get all the strapping and clips etc with the kit?

No strapping came with the kit, but I got some off e-bay ready to go.
I'll send him an email and say the shoulder piece is missing. I'll not ask for lobster plates as they are there. It is one of the worst fiberglass jobs I've seen. I'll sand it down flat and cover it either with aux leather of padding.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:08 pm 
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Service Number: A01/TQ3.0.02140E1
It can be salvaged, I've seen worse and besides once you paint it up and add scratches and stuff it should come out ok, problem is you know how bad it is/was so your never really going to be happy with it.
Order your missing parts and new lobster plates and if you get them.... Can I buy your old lobster plates?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:43 am 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Which square bit of the shoulder are you missing?

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:42 pm 

PVB wrote:

This piece. (Picture taken from his website.)

I have one, but obviously there should be two.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:52 pm 

Venger wrote:
PVB wrote:

This may be a stupid question but he has not overlayed them and got one stuck over the top of the other?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:28 pm 

DKMax wrote:
Venger wrote:
PVB wrote:

This may be a stupid question but he has not overlayed them and got one stuck over the top of the other?

No, I have checked that. Anyway I sent him an email last night and he got back to me today. He's sending it out to me, so I should have it in a week or so. It'll take me that long to trim the rest of the armour anyway. Once it arrives I can begin the painting - if I haven't already, and strap it all up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:42 pm 

Looking at the pictures on their website it looks as though they hang a piece of armour off the chest plate which would normally be attached to the ab pad. If you get a correct ab pad from spat you could use that spare piece of armour to replace that lobster plate after cutting it to shape etc. Well thats if you were provided with this part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:53 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

When I made my first suit back in the day, I thought the chest looked off because it was smooth and contoured, so I added an extra piece to the mold to make that triangle more pronounced. For about a year all the armor I made had that on it. Then I saw an original suit up close and realized that it wasn't needed, so I took it off. But later I noticed that a few other armor makers had started adding that part to their armor and for some reason still use it.

So blame me for that bit!

Sorry to hear that you're so unhappy with your gear. If it helps, check my Armor FAQ on the website (http://spatcave.com/armorfaq.htm), I have some detailed pics of my armor, which should help you name the parts and see where everything goes and how it attaches.

ImageImage