The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Is it Weylan or Weyland ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:47 pm 

Sometimes I see it written differently. Which one is correct ?

Post subject: Re: Is it Weylan or Weyland ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:08 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Both, I believe...

Weylan features in the background scenes of Alien.
It was formalised into Weyland from Aliens onward.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:29 pm 
Lifer

Yes as Woody said- it has been spelled both ways:

"Weylan" Yutani can be seen in the corner of the Nostromo computer screen during the opening boot-up sequence.

And of course "Weyland" Yutani can clearly be seen in the SE of Aliens.

So you can take your pick. :wink:

Wasn't "Weylan" the first name of one of Scott's neighbours?

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:32 pm 

"One of the things I enjoyed most about Alien was its subtle satirical content. Science fiction films offer golden opportunities to throw in little scraps of information that suggest enormous changes in the world. There's a certain potency in those kinds of remarks. Weylan Yutani for instance is almost a joke, but not quite. I wanted to imply that poor old England is back on its feet and has united with the Japanese, who have taken over the building of spaceships the same way they have now with cars and supertankers. In coming up with a strange company name I thought of British Leyland and Toyota, but we couldn't use "Leyland-Toyota" in the film. Changing one letter gave me "Weylan," and "Yutani" was a Japanese neighbor of mine".

Ron Cobb, "The Authorized Portfolio of Crew Insignias from The United States Commercial Spaceship Nostromo Designs and Realizations" by John Mollo and Ron Cobb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:07 pm 

Jeez I'm glad you posted this.
I've had at least one person try to say how I spelt Weyland Yutani wrong on the Nostromo blueprints, then I have to go over the above info. Companies change logos and names all the time. And personally I ignore Alien vs Predator movies as I don't like them too much (in those it is Weyland). 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:58 am 

I never even KNEW that Weylan(d) Yutany name appeared in the first Alien. I heard in the documentaries that they thought a lot of details that never appeared in the final film (like the Company name) but didn't know it was actually shown somewhere. Good catch mate

Incidentally I think it could even be a typo of the person who made the screen program... something like that happened in Die Hard, if you see the scene when MacLane selects the name of the wife on the touch screen in the Nakatomi hall the name changes from GENNARO to GENNERO... some people are careless when doing these jobs for films. Anyway, I realize this is not a Die Hard forum :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 am 

[Alan Rickman]
"What was it you said to me before? Ah yes.......'Yippee Kayae..... Mudda-f**ker'... "
[/Alan Rickman]

I think WY also appears on a beer can and a couple other places... Or, I may have confoozed a couple of excellent replica prop extrapolations.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:11 am 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
Ttaskmaster wrote:
I think WY also appears on a beer can and a couple other places... Or, I may have confoozed a couple of excellent replica prop extrapolations.....

Nope. The cans are in the film (on the table before John Hurt pops, I think), and are just about readable in the HD versions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:32 am 
Victim

Service Number: A86/TQ3.4.49421E3
.....but we couldn't use "Leyland-Toyota" in the film. Changing one letter gave me "Weylan,"

Surely that would give you Weyland not Weylan. (sorry PVB) :wink:

you can't take the PUNK outa Spunkmeyer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:11 am 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
punkmarine wrote:
.....but we couldn't use "Leyland-Toyota" in the film. Changing one letter gave me "Weylan,"

Surely that would give you Weyland not Weylan. (sorry PVB) :wink:

My work here is done. :D :wink:

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:35 am 

Sorry to burst everyones Bubble, But the correct Scott/Cobb/Foss Spelling is Weylan-Yutani.

it was at no time in ALIEN spelled "WEYLAND-YUTANI".

as posted by another member who omitted a key important paragraph in the definition:

The name "Weylan-Yutani" was created by Ron Cobb, one of the designers of the Nostromo and it's crew's uniforms.
".......One of the things I enjoyed most about Alien was its subtle satirical content. Science fiction films offer golden opportunities to throw in little scraps of information that suggest enormous changes in the world. There's a certain potency in those kinds of remarks. Weylan Yutani for instance is almost a joke, but not quite. I wanted to imply that poor old England is back on its feet and has united with the Japanese, who have taken over the building of spaceships the same way they have now with cars and supertankers. In coming up with a strange company name I thought of British Leyland and Toyota, but we couldn't use "Leyland-Toyota" in the film. Changing one letter gave me "Weylan," and "Yutani" was a Japanese neighbor of mine."

—Ron Cobb, "The Authorized Portfolio of Crew Insignias from The United States Commercial Spaceship Nostromo Designs and Realizations" by John Mollo and Ron Cobb
The original spelling of the Company's name was Weylan Yutani (note that there was no D in the name). At no time in Alien nor in the portfolio was the name of the Company spelled with a D. This was changed to "Weyland-Yutani" in Aliens............."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weyland-Yutani
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Original Weylan Yutani Beer-can from the Propstore of London is Here:

This can has the original circular tabs that was common for about 3 years in the seventies.

The actual Reproductions are almost 100% accurate only the pull tab is different,, and there are more scenes than just Dallas drinking from them.

This change was not an accident, but a conscious decision to actually change the company name and make it more to James Cameron's Vision.

James Cameron also admitted to change the ALIEN to try to make it more his product. Giger Never worked on the "ALIEN/S" version, in the end, There was uproar during production and immediately following in which Cameron sent H.R. Giger this letter admitting that he had ultimately stole and changed his ALIEN and gave no credit to Giger in order to suit is own purpose as a rising action film director, and felt threatened by Giger's vision, and actually questioned his purpose in the film had the original creator Giger been involved.

The Original ALIEN "Weylan Yutani" Logo is the Egyptian Flying Disk. .. the "wings" as seen on the beer can and elsewhere in the movie.
The Wings are NOT the Nostromo logo. The CAT-style industrial logo is completely Cameron idea to make the ALIENS movie his creation, and change the direction of the film for his benefit.

The only positive thing I can say out of this whole sad affair is at least Cameron did apologize to Giger., but he (and 20th Century Fox) ultimately owes an apology to Sir Ridley Scott and the rest of the original production crew. Just my few cents worth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:33 am 
Perfect Organism

jtparker wrote:
Sorry to burst everyones Bubble, But the correct Scott/Cobb/Foss Spelling is Weylan-Yutani.

I think that was EXACTLY what everyone else was saying above???? In the Alien Film Series, both are used: Without a d in ALIEN, with a d afterwards. Neither is wrong because they are fictional - at most it's a continuity error across a film series. However, I do wonder if Jif is still called Cif in 2079 or if they changed it back to Jif ...

jtparker wrote:
In coming up with a strange company name I thought of British Leyland and Toyota, but we couldn't use "Leyland-Toyota" in the film. Changing one letter gave me "Weylan," and "Yutani" was a Japanese neighbor of mine."

Someone said this exact point previously in this thread.

In summary, you can't "burst peoples bubble" by agreeing ... you're not the only person here who knows a little about these films! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:07 pm 

jtparker wrote:
The Original ALIEN "Weylan Yutani" Logo is the Egyptian Flying Disk. .. the "wings" as seen on the beer can and elsewhere in the movie.
The Wings are NOT the Nostromo logo. The CAT-style industrial logo is completely Cameron idea to make the ALIENS movie his creation, and change the direction of the film for his benefit.

This can be justified with the fact that over 50 years have passed between Alien and Aliens and the Company changed their logo, big deal :P
The D however has indeed appeared :lol: but why would you think that it's Cameron's idea? Couldn't it be just a mistake?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:44 pm 
Lifer

jtparker wrote:

Umm... Yes. We know.

But thanks anyway.

Pug50 wrote:
However, I do wonder if Jif is still called Cif in 2079 or if they changed it back to Jif ...

Two things-

1) Isn't it 2179?

2) Jif? The peanut butter? :wink:

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:51 pm 
Perfect Organism

SSgt Burton wrote:
1) Isn't it 2179?

It's 2010. But lets just say I picked a future date out of the air for the well known European cream multi-surface cleaner to revert to it's proper British name! ;)

If you were thinking of the in-universe year of the events in ALIEN then I thought it was 2122? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:01 pm 
Lifer

It was the "79" that threw me off- as it is debatable whether the events of "Aliens" takes place in 2079 or 2179.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:15 pm 

SSgt Burton wrote:
2) Jif? The peanut butter? :wink:

For those who don't know - This:
http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/865/350__1_6130192256-2T.jpg Became this: http://www.leibarbados.com/images/products/LM-JIFF.jpg

'Twas a big marketing thing - New name, same great cleaning and all that.

As for the Weylan(d) aspect - I personally think adding the D gives a more definite separation of the company name, making it clearer as two words, when spoken. It's a trivial thing, but it just sounds better with the extra hard consonant sound. Without the D it's easier for the name to become mumbled into one word. I'm guessing it's something people think about when they write dialogue in a script and it has to flow well.

Edit: I don't half talk some wittery crap on here, eh!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:22 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Weyland-Yutani

according to the wikia article, it states sometime mid 22nd century.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:54 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
And don't forget the big red circle with the W in the middle we see in Alien 3. Given the age of the factory there, that logo falls between the logo used in Alien, and the one used in Aliens.

It's a boot!"

III drops

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:07 pm 

SSgt Burton wrote:
It was the "79" that threw me off- as it is debatable whether the events of "Aliens" takes place in 2079 or 2179.

Kevin

Recent quote from Ridley Scott about the possible Alien Preqeul

Quote:
“It’s set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It’s fundamentally about going out to find out ‘Who the hell was that Space Jockey?’ The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer’s chair. Remember that?”

If you take 2085 and add on the thirty years to get to the events in Alien and then add the 57 years that Ripley was in hypersleep you get to 2172 which is slighly out but he does say about 30 years. So assuming the new film is set 37 years before alien then the dates work out. Either way that would seem to answer the question that Aliens is definitely set in 2179 and not 2079

Cheers

Darren