The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Smart Gun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:35 am 
I'm searching for a smartgun replica, somebody know where I can find one?

What do you think about this manufacturer?

http://www.goldenarmor.com/weapons/weapon1h.htm

Post subject: Re: Smart gun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:39 am 
Ride to the south until you find past postings by two men who answer to the names of Jesse and Matt ....
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:11 pm 
There are a couple of makers that I know of - ga above and www.relics.org.uk, relics tend to make everthing out of MDF, string, duct-tape and the occasional real piece of weaponry, but from a distance while wearing glasses and in a smoke-filled room they are pretty accurate.

Ga isn't the best quality, expect tons of filling and sanding and it's not too accurate either, but the kits are always just the starting point - you make the best of what you can get :)

As MR now have the license for the Aliens series of movies we're all looking forward to the goodies they will be coming out with! I think it slightly unlikely they will be producing a Smartgun - but we can hope!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:21 pm 
I have one of those relics smarties lolly. I think you can stand a bit closer than that and not have to be wearing glasses......but not much. But really....it's not that bad. And it makes for great kindling for when the second ice-age hits. :lol:
"Being dead means not having an opinion"

Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dropshipbob>dropshipbob[/url] at: 12/15/03 6:24 am

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:21 pm 
Regarding GA, he hasn't had the SG available for awhile. There was a time he claimed to be re-working the molds, but he's been quiet on that front for some time (i.e. almost 2 years I think). One thing you should know, though, is that the master for kit was not his own...

The Relics base MG-42 ain't that bad (I have one sitting in my garage). I just wish I could figure out how he made the front receiver :) I haven't found a similar material, and I'd wanted to do basically the same thing as he did for the .5 version of my SG in time for the last Comic Con. Time & money didn't work out though, so it's a moot point now ;)

Jesse
"Happiness is a warm smartgun."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:27 pm 
I get the impression that much less is known about he smartgun as regards measurments/materials/accuracy?

So really, a relics smartgun wouldn't be that bad?

Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:36 pm 
Quote:
Quote:I get the impression that much less is known about he smartgun as regards measurments/materials/accuracy?

This was true up until the last 2 years or so. There are still a couple of muddy areas around some of the smaller details, but the big things are taken care of (and the Quadrilogy may clear up a couple more).

Jesse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:42 pm 
Quote:
Quote:the Quadrilogy may clear up a couple more

It may also put a few proverbial spanners in the works. Much as I hate to argue with the people who were actually there :lol: There’s one thing said I’m not too sure about, still pending investigation.;)

<span style="color:black;font-family:FederationBold;font-size:medium;]Adapt-Overcome-Survive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:50 pm 
I haven't had the time to pick it up yet, and I CERTAINLY don't have the time to watch it all :) I have to finish moving first! :lol:

Jesse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:18 am 
Hope the moving goes well Jesse. I'm just lurkin around here as usual, following the smartgun threads.

BTW, I've seen quite a few 3a arms come up for sale in the last few weeks on the steadi operators site. The costs seem to be coming down overall. Where everybody wanted $9000, they now want about $6000. Wait a little longer and you could own the real deal.

And remember what I said about that Australian company? Lots of used parts probably available for nothing (www.steadyrig.com) from their arm upgrades.

Let me know how the resign M56 search goes. You KNOW I'm interested too.
:)

Stryderblue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:02 pm 
GA posted pics of his reworked Smart Gun on the RPF a few days ago. Expect the standard quality and accuracy from what I saw. But as was stated before. The kit is just the beginning point.
fdoveraker@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:10 pm 
Stryderblue:
Hmm, I don't remember that link..... {alt tab, a few minutes in Yahoo Mail} Okay, I've got a message out to them now too :)

Dean O:
GA's re-surfaced with the SG again, eh? I hadn't caught that on the RPF. Not too hard to miss, considering the message turn-over on that board :lol:

edit: I just posted to that thread :)

Jesse
"Happiness is a warm smartgun."Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jessedegraff>Jesse DeGraff[/url] at: 12/17/03 10:08 am

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:11 pm 
I'm scratchbuilding my own Smart Gun replica.

For mainly budgetary reasons, I am taking some artistic license though - the gun in the movie is an M56, and I'm building an M86 - hey, it's been seventeen years, so you could extrapolate the design changes :P

I'm building the reciever from wood, using the Mg34 pattern at empireprops.freeservers.c...break.html

The front and rear triggers will be modified spray bottle nozzles. I was going to use bike parts, but when I got to looking at the spray bottle triggers, I decided they would be cheaper, easier to work with, and when done, they wouldn't look like bike parts :lol:

The front suspension unit will be scratchbuild from PVC. Most of the barrel parts will also be PVC. The drum magazine is a modified CD package (you know, the plastic drum that holds CD's when you buy them in bulk).

Most of the parts and greeblie I found at a local surplus store (Axeman). If you live in the Twin Cities and you like to build props you owe it to yourself to check this place out.

My main problem has been working the barrel shroud. I think what I am going to have to do is drill the holes myself, something I was hoping would be avoided.

I did find this the other day, this will be very useful in building the chest harness and stabilizer arm:

homebuiltstabilizers.com/fullrigs.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:51 pm 
Quote:
Quote:For mainly budgetary reasons, I am taking some artistic license though - the gun in the movie is an M56, and I'm building an M86 - hey, it's been seventeen years, so you could extrapolate the design changes

I've never understood that way of thinking :P . Remember, Aliens is supposed to be 200 or so years into the future, and 17 years has not passed because we're not even there yet (not to mention it's a fictional setting). We still only have the same story with the same gadgetts. It's not an evolving universe as ours does. I don't have any qualms about artistic license and what not, just commenting that's all :) .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:19 pm 
Yeah, it's much easier to build if you're doing an interpretive piece instead of trying to get as accurate as possible :) You've got plenty of alternatives then for building the rig.

You're pretty much guarenteed to have to drill the barrel shroud holes yourself. There really isn't anything lightweight that comes pre-drilled. Stryderblue used some steel shelving supports or something similar to that for his Halloween SG gun on his real Steadicam EFP harness & arm, but for con use you'll really love having something lighter :)

Best,
Jesse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:18 am 
The only reason I'm taking so much artistic license is to save money. As much as I would like to, I can't afford to spend hundreds on this model to get it "screen accurate."

Even with my "updated" design I'm still going to be breaking three digits.

Since I can't have a perfect M56, I'm going to have a BFG of my own design. It's better than having nothing at all :)

Went shroud hunting today. Found a couple of options, none of them being 100% accurate.

Best match was a tile trim piece, $25 for 8 feet. This was actually a really good match.

I also looked at shelf brackets, heavy and much more inaccurate, but they would do.

I did find some gutter screens I might be able to roll into a tube (the screen is flat now). A tubed shroud would be waaay off the "real thing" but would still be pretty neat.

Good point about keeping the weight down. I haven't put much thought into that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:21 am 
You go with your artistic License Erik!..:D ...Just be shure to share some pix with us.

I for one am sitting on my mg42 project in lieu of "Paying" jobs at the moment, but I'll be getting that thing finished up after the new year...promise.

Still need motorcycle parts though...Got a near mint drum I need to work on too.

<M>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:28 pm 
Erik MAA-

I think you're the first person I've seen on this board whose from the Twin Cties besides myself! Axeman really is the ultimate store...I'm going to be going there in a week to try and find some supplies for my pulse rifle. That is so cool! I'll keep my eyes open at the store and stuff. I've worked at a few hardware stores in south minneapolis over the years, and I'm a frequent at Home Depot on Penn Ave, so I can give you a pretty good idea of whats out there to use. I'll do anything to help out another Minneapolis Aliens enthusiast!

Just wanted to give you a shout-out.

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:08 am 
I live in Northeast. I shop at Axeman all the time though. I am working on a lightsaber and I bought most of the parts there.

Do you go to any of the local 'cons? I was a regular at CONvergence up to this year, I'm done with them now (inconsistent prop weapon policies are a dealbreaker for me). I'll be attending Marscon exclusively now - Marscon has always been more fun for me, anyhow.

I know some local guys (who are also on RPF) who periodically have prop parties. Maybe we can get together over the winter...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:06 pm 
Never went to the cons...never really knew about them. Prop parties would be a lot of fun indeed. Don't hesitate to mention it or drop me an email if such a thing comes about.

Sorry about the thread hijack, guys.

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:11 pm 
CD spindle?!?!?!
BLOODY GENIUS!

LOL! Cheers dude, I've been racking my brains to think of what to use as a drum - but that I could also attach to my G36 mag without having it drop out the magwell.

w00t :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:19 pm 
For airsoft milsim we've also used painted & stenciled CD spindles/cases as mines or charges that had to be found & "disarmed" or set & "detonated". The little buggers look quite realistic when painted up, stenciled, and rigged like a tripwire fired mine :shock:

Jesse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:57 am 
Hey Jesse,

If you want, you can post that pic of my SG mock-up (i.e = cheapo quicko) if it helps any of these guys with their projects. I only ask 'cause I, er, can't post. Not too fluent in HTML. :(

?

(P.S. Bughunt is coming along. Full cast read-thru in less than a week. Baby steps still produce a certain amount of forward momentum)

Stryderblue

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]