The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Alien 3 Trooper costumes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:15 pm 
Hi all

Does anyone know anything about the Trooper costumes in Alien 3. I know Terry English made the helmets but I'm wondering about the rest of the costume. Were they completely custom made or modified items that can be bought?

Does anyone know what happened to the screen used ones or anybody that owns one?

I'm thinking of putting one together so I would appreciate anyones help on the topic please.

Thanks

Darren

Post subject: Re: Alien 3 Trooper costumes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:29 pm 
If this is what you're looking for, talk to Anubian Warrior

large.jpg
large.jpg [ 62.17 KiB | Viewed 26043 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:54 am 
This topic comes up from time to time.

Everytime it does somehow I seem to be the man with all the photos...anyone would think I LOVE this costume and spend too much free time researching! :P

There's not alot of point in my retyping everything so have a gander over here: p082.ezboard.com/fpropreplicasfrm8.showMessage?topicID=354.topic

In this thread on "Dewback Wing" I have provided reference photo's of the costume and a breakdown of the parts we have identified.

There used to be a topic or two on this board but I can't seem to find them now.

There are a few "found items" but it's possible that much was custom made. Some parts are likely to be so hard to identify/locate that our only option is to custome make them.

A word of warning. If you're like me and are such a stickler for accuracy that you won't accept anything but the closest match possible, you could be in a for a bit of a wait.
Anubian Warrior managed to put together a good facsimilie.
I've been waiting on parts for this costume for something like 6 years. The cost involved will probably keep me waiting for another 6 :(
But as with all my projects, if I'm going to invest time and money I'd rather do it spot on. That's probably why I've got about 20 various projects half started! lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:35 pm 
Thanks guys.

Like you WD, I am a stickler for accuracy, thanks for the link, some helpful pics. I think the last two were mine actually from the night shoot footage I obtained years ago. I put a few screen grabs from it up some time ago.
It's only recently that I've started giving some consideration to this costume so I haven't done much research but the information from that link will certainly help save me some time. Thanks again

Darren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:10 pm 
I realise this isn't an original but it is available in white. It is still called an N2B jacket and looks like a good reproduction to me but is there any differences anyone else can see?

@WD Is all the uniform definitely white. It sometimes looks more of a biege or brownish colour or is this just weathering that's been applied?

Darren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:39 pm 
You've found an N2B in white?
Where!?

I've not had any luck yet!

I would be very confident to say that the uniform is white.
The armour padding is an off-white colour. Possibly beige, possibly just off-white :D
It's a very light colour. Not as dark as Anubian Warriors.

The uniform does seem to be a beige colour at times but don't forget the lighting is very much red/yellow in the furnace.

When seen in the room when they first arrive it is very definatly white. As are the same trousers and jackets worn by the other soldiers/handlers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:03 pm 
Sorry forgot the link

www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-ai-J300002.asp

I think it is a modern commercial production of the jacket but it looks the same to me. It's by Alpha Industries. The site doesn't show the jacket in white but inthe drop down list of available colours it is there.
Darren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:06 pm 
Quote:
I would be very confident to say that the uniform is white.

Attachment:
WYtrooper003.jpg
WYtrooper003.jpg [ 32.02 KiB | Viewed 26043 times ]

Not to start an arguement- but in the pic above (which was originally for pointing out the forearm grenade straps hence the arrow), the uniform definitely looks beige or even dark tan. It is clearly contrasted against the shoulder pads and straps which are white.

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:10 pm 
Them's fighting words Kev, :P

but yeah I think you are right. I'm just gonna watch the DVD again now.

Just had another look. Gareth may be right actually. This shot is just as they enter the facility. The screen grab is not great but when I paused it the pants were very much white as well as the torso area. I think it is just the padding around the arms and legs etc that is a biege or tan colour.

[deadpic]http://www.friendly-skies.co.uk/images/tempphotos/A3Troops.jpg[/deadpic]

Darren

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:39 am 
absolutly right.
The "armour" is tan. The uniform is white.

As these pics clearly show:

trooper9.jpg
trooper9.jpg [ 35.45 KiB | Viewed 26043 times ]

Trooper4.jpg
Trooper4.jpg [ 45.8 KiB | Viewed 26043 times ]

commandopants.jpg
commandopants.jpg [ 48.91 KiB | Viewed 26043 times ]

a3commando.jpg
a3commando.jpg [ 44.15 KiB | Viewed 26043 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:53 am 
Doesn't look like it would protect much from anything accept the cold... Maybe good for mountain lion maulings??? Wonder if it's balistic kevlar material.

Nothing like some good ol USCM armour...

The white abs backpack makes me think of ST armour...

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:51 am 
Here we go again! :)

I have some nice new pics of my A3 helmet if anyone wants a good reference.

[deadpic]http://www.onebadmutha.com/props/a3_1.jpg[/deadpic]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:27 am 
These costumes disappeared off the planet. I haven't seen one outside of Alien War and the Fox Studios museum in Sydney.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:51 pm 
Quote:
Quote:These costumes disappeared off the planet. I haven't seen one outside of Alien War and the Fox Studios museum in Sydney.

That's too bad but thanks for the info. Looks like it may have to be a mostly custom made costume then.

Thanks for the Pic Griefboy. It's mainly the rest of the costume that I'm curious about though. I know TE made the helmets and still does them as commissions.

Cheers

Darren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:32 pm 
hmmm. Sounds like a trip to Sydney might be in order! :D

I would really like to know what the armour actually is. Was it custom made or was it found somewhere?...
It's hard to see how the arm padding is actually attached, other than a tongue and buckle are used.

It is definatly doable though!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:33 pm 
Would anyway care to hazard a guess what type of trousers they used (i.e. fireman, sports etc) or what material they may have been made from.

I'm thinking of getting a seamstress to make some up, though with so few decent pictures it may be dificult.

Cheers

Darren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:11 pm 
I'm going to use a pair of heavy white tracksuit trousers/sweat pants (made from heavy sweatshirt fleece)
They clearly have ribbing on the ankles just like sweatpants.

The Fury 161 staff trousers are made from sweatshirt fleece.

Most of it will be covered by the leg armour anyway.
You could pretty much get away with whatever plain white pants you can find.

My only suggestion would be to go for a heavy, soft cotton since they definatly give that impression in the photo of the framed pair.

I guessed correctly the fabric used for the staff pants, I'm fairly confident on these too. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:19 pm 
Well, thanks to some help from Mantroon and comparing the pics to other stuff I feel fairly confident that the pants that were used were Ski pants, The elasticated gators at the bottom are consistent with this as are the braces. I found a few older pairs which are pretty similar. I also noticed that there appears to be a zip at the front of the leg, though I'm not sure how high it goes. If you look at the pic you can see a join at the front and the hem line dips up on either side.

[deadpic]http://www.friendly-skies.co.uk/images/tempphotos/commandopantscopy.jpg[/deadpic]

I have highlighted where I mean with a red circle.

I also found this arm protector which looks fairly similar to the ones in the film. So I think it likely that the padding in the film is from Dog Handling equipment.

[deadpic]http://www.friendly-skies.co.uk/images/tempphotos/armprotector.jpg[/deadpic]

Also, as suggested by Mantroon the boots look like they are most likely ski boots also. Again, having looked at a few pairs on Ebay etc they seem to have the right look to them.

Cheers
Darren

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:32 pm 
The "zip" in that photo has always puzzled me.
You can clearly follow it up to the top of the waist band. I can't understand why a zip would run the entire length of the leg so I've always just discounted that as something I can't identify.

Ski pants certainly seem like a sensible idea!

As for the armour. Yes, it is widly believed to be some sort of dog handling type kit. Unfortunatly we have no idea if it was found somewhere (and if so, what it is) or whether it was custome made.

I'm not convinced we'll ever find the original manufacturer even if it does still exist, so it's likely to be a custom job for us I think.

Good work on the pants and boots!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:33 pm 
Ski pants would be a good model to use, but another suggestion I would put to you is flying trousers, akin to the US A-11 pattern. I own a couple of pairs of these and they have the front-zip trouser legs and elasticated knitted foot loops. I don't know if the A-11 trousers ever came in white (I've seen them in green cotton, green nylon, blue nylon, black nylon, silver nylon and orange nylon) but they could have used them as a basis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:41 pm 
Hey Pete

Thanks for the tip. I just found a pair on Ebay and you could well be right. They definitely are a good match.

[deadpic]http://www.friendly-skies.co.uk/images/tempphotos/a11trousers.jpg[/deadpic]

They have the elasticated gators like you said and the braces, as well as the Zips which go all the way up. Be great to find out if they were ever available in white.

thanks again

Darren

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:19 pm 
Good find!

Our's definatly appear to be a soft cotton, I don't think nylon.
Reasons for this theory:

First.
In the photo of the framed pair the camera flash is on
(the retroreflective strips are bright) however there is no sheen to the fabric. Nylon always shows up under flash. The photo of the flight pants here is a good example.

Second.
The elastic ribbing (for the ankle cuffs) is a close knit, more like that of a sweatshirt or sweatpant cuff. This type of rib would not generally bu used with nylon clothing.

Third.
Looking at the way the fabric is hemed around the zip and where the cuffs join. This is definatly more likely a heavy cotton.

Here's a photo I posted in the other thread that shows very clearly the full length zip. Look at the trooper on the left of the image, his zips are shining clearly up the front of each leg.

Perhaphs the flight trousers came in a suitable white cotton.
Or perhaphs these were custom made to similar specifications.
The staff trousers were all custom made.

G

63766461105c9c8bd5632bafd92a574afe5.jpg
63766461105c9c8bd5632bafd92a574afe5.jpg [ 68.71 KiB | Viewed 26043 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:42 pm 
I've been chatting to Fal about these and we think that the A11's were most likely used as the basis for these. Can't find any reference to them being in white so we reckon they were custom made as you say in a heavy cotton using the same pattern as the A11's.

With this info it should be pretty easy to get a pair made up now.

Cheers

Darren

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:48 pm 
Would the high vis, reflective stripes been on the original trousers?

Maybe for use on an aircraft carrier deck where visibilty is important, it may also explain the white colour?

Padding as it's cold on those decks.

Some sort of A-11 varient maybe.

Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,

Andy

"I'm going to live forever, ...........or die trying!!"

www.exewng.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:54 pm 
Hey Clanger

Good idea but I think probably not as the n2b jacket also has 2 stripes on the arms which correspond with the trousers. So i think they were added on. But I will check into that.
Of course they may have added them to the jacket to correspon with the ones ALREADY on the trousers. (here's hoping) Would be great to find these were a bought item :) but I doubt it, nothing with Aliens related costumes seems to be that easy.

Darren

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next