The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Service C uniform- enlisted and Gorman discussion.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:18 am 
Lifer

Well rather than start a new topic I figure I'd add to this one. :wink:

Inspired by Dom's outstanding Charlie's, I've decided to put together my own Service C uniform (ala Gorman visits Ripley's apartment). Basically I would be wearing this to any dinner functions we have. As much as I would enjoy wearing my Dress Blues- if I spilled something on them I'd die. :wink:

So today I watched the "Ripley's apartment" scene a bunch of times for reference- specifically I wanted to know what the device on Gorman's service cap is...

It's a subduded Eagle Globe Anchor device! :shock:

It can juuuust be made out as Burke and Gorman walk through the hallway to Ripley's door. You can see it as the overhead lights shine on it. His service cap appears to be a Service C OD cover with gold chinstrap screwposts (although it could also be a green army service cap). Unfortunately I don't have screencap. Just watch the scene and you will see it.

Today I decided on a whim to go into one of the local thrft shops I frequent; they can sometimes be a goldmine for costume bits. What do I find? A military tan short sleeved service shirt... in my size no less! :D

Just need to get some army green pants, sew the patches on, turn the collar into a Mandarin collar, it it will be good to go!

Progress pics as they happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:13 pm 
Another glorious day in the Corps!

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.72147E1
I have a ton of issue USMC shirts in my closet. 8)

"To err is human; to forgive, divine... Neither of which is Marine Corps policy."
"In Onoraigh Ar Marbh" ~ We Honor Our Fallen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:10 pm 
Ultimate Badass.

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.12141E1
i have a ton that don't fit anymore ((((((((((not as lean not as mean but still a marine ))))))))))))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:55 pm 
Victor

Looks like the Sarge is right...

Do you think female officers would wear the same uniform? I'm not up with current US uniform regs. Would they have to wear a skirt? Or a different cap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:36 pm 
Too Pretty to Die

Pffft. They wouldn't let women be Officers!

Kidding! :D

Since the "universe" looks to be unisex I would say that they would wear the same uniform.

I'm thinking of possibly doing this uniform myself for DC08. Maybe we could start a new thread to get all the steps, etc then progress for everyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:49 pm 

Seems to me there were some pics of the screen used Class C on here a year or two ago now ... (has it been that long???)

But anyways, yes the cap had an EGA. I can't remember if we decided the cap was a USMC cap, or if it was a US Army cap that was modified slightly by removing the hatband or something. In either case, it was the same dark green as the trousers. Somebody here also suggested using an overseas cap - aka the "pisscutter" or "wedge" like boy scouts wear.

I think that someone suggested Canadian armed forces trousers as being the correct color green - or very close to it. Plus, I think they are fairly obtainable for people in the US/UK and of course Canada.

I think the trickiest part for the true detail whores is the pocket flaps. The screen used shirt seemed to be a custom deal, and the flaps were probably velcro fastened. Dickies makes a short sleeve tan shirt with very similar pocket flaps, but they button closed.

I like the idea of a Class C. It's probably one of the easier uniforms to be found/made, and one of the least inexpensive overall when compared to buying accurate BDUS, and or BDUS/Armor. It's also probably one of the more comfortable to wear too.

As for what women would wear - I imagine that's up to you. Maybe you could find out what the current Class C uniform is for female Marines, and kind of extrapolate from that. Seems that was the rough idea behind the screen USCM Class C in Gorman's case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:55 pm 
Victor

Well, I had a look on good ol' Google and came up with some ideas. Found one problem - the female short sleeve shirt is more tailored to fit the female form and I'm not sure how I'd go about converting it to a mandarin collar.

One thing I did notice is that all the pictures I've seen of the male Service C's shows them wearing a pisscutter so does that mean that Gorman's uniform is 'wrong'? Doesn't matter really as I think the cap looks better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:29 pm 
The Dead Mans Hand

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.92141E1
Comparing the current USMC to Gormans if it where current it might be wrong but we are also comparing a movie to a real life item. It will never be right. hehe.

I would say if goingn for a movie look if you thing the service cap looks better then the pisscutter then go for the look you want.
You can also think of it this way since you are most likely the First of this Band to consider a female version of the Class C you get to set it up for others. :twisted: Just have fun with it.

Think there was discussion on headgear in the Dress Uniform section when someone mentioned beret.

I personally will most likely go with a beret for a Dress Uniform when I actually find a jacket that will fit me. hehe.

As for C's I may have better luck finding a shirt that will fit.

A03/TQ1.0.92141E1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:51 pm 
Victor

101Radioman wrote:
since you are most likely the First of this Band to consider a female version of the Class C you get to set it up for others.

Hehehe! That sounds like a challenge.

And I know what you mean about finding stuff to fit. I don't think female Marines have quite the same 'assets' as me. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:42 pm 
Lifer

Mole wrote:
One thing I did notice is that all the pictures I've seen of the male Service C's shows them wearing a pisscutter so does that mean that Gorman's uniform is 'wrong'?

Far as I know it's optional. But the true Marines here would know better. :wink:

I think Radioman said it best in that it is a made up uniform- so it doesn't have to follow the real World standards.

I recently read that there is a US law about impersonating military personelle- actors who portray them must purposely have a part of their uniform "wrong" so it is considered "out of uniform" by the military- such as incorrect insignia on clothing or hats, or ribbons/medals displayed in the wrong order.

It's funny- in the Dress Blues thread there was a discussion about a guy who had a Stargate General Hammond uniform that he had recreated from a screencap- and was told his ribbons were incorrect in order. Unbeknownst to everyone this could be the reason for it. I also noticed this when I was studying actors playing Marines (for inspiration)- Clint Eastwood's GySgt Highway impression has the ribbons in the wrong order of precedence. I originally thought it was a mistake on the filmmakers part.

I never noticed the pocket flaps not having buttons- again you learn something new everyday! :wink: :lol:

The shirt I found could easily be turned into a Mandarin collar- it seems to already have one (albeit a short one) beneath the collar flaps. It would simply mean removing the existing flap. However the shirt also has epaulettes. They will probably have to be removed as well. Unfortunately I don't quite have the skills to do these alterations myself without it looking butchered. My $3.99 score will end up costing a lot more once I take it to a tailor. :(

Could Gorman's trousers be UK Army trousers? Our CF Army trousers are nearly an exact match in colour as has been said- in fact my old dark green Air Cadet pants would have worked if they had still fit me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:01 pm 
Victor

I did see that picture whilst I was looking for info but it was linked to from a blog so I figured it was a wannabe.

I've heard about the actor thing before. I always thought it was a bit of an urban myth but it does make sense when you think about it.

And you might be onto something with the British Army No 2 dress trousers:

http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=646

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:32 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Interesting comment there about the changes in detail.

Could someone explain what the hell a 'pisscutter' is though please? Don't forget guys most of us aren't in the actual Army - Aliens is just a movie, remember? ;)

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:40 pm 
Victor

A pisscutter is what the woman in the picture I posted is wearing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:48 pm 
The Dead Mans Hand

Correct you are Mole. Also here in the US Army we had a different name. Not as PC. :o

They where also commonly refered to as garrison caps in WW2
most US personal elisted wore them in the European theater wore then when not in the steel pot.

A03/TQ1.0.92141E1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:50 pm 
Lifer

Quote:
Could someone explain what the hell a 'pisscutter' is though please?

(Everyone beat me to this :wink: )

Also commonly referred to as a "wedge" or "garrison cap" as said.

Quote:
And you might be onto something with the British Army No 2 dress trousers:

Thanks Vicky. The #2 trousers look a bit light on my monitor- but part of the problem with the colours we see on screen is that they may not be the same in reality. The Canadian Forces dark green pants look exactly like Gorman's- but the lighting in the movie is pretty low so Gorman's pants might actually be lighter in colour than we believe. I dunno. Obviously CF pants would be easily available for me so it's what I'm going with. :wink:

As for a female shirt- you might just have to go with a blouse that looks close which would be easier to modify. Adonis has a point that everything seems unisex- the woman during Ripley's inquiry is wearing a suit and tie exactly like any of the men. Ultimately it's up to you and I look forward to what you come up with! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm 
Victor

SSgt Burton wrote:
The #2 trousers look a bit light on my monitor

Yeah, they're an odd colour. Whilst looking around I saw everything that looked from dark green to brown to khaki. It's a supposed to be a dark-ish green from what I can remember.

Quote:
As for a female shirt- you might just have to go with a blouse that looks close which would be easier to modify. Adonis has a point that everything seems unisex- the woman during Ripley's inquiry is wearing a suit and tie exactly like any of the men. Ultimately it's up to you and I look forward to what you come up with! :D

I think I might have to go with the male shirt anyway as can't seem to find anywhere that does the female one in my size. Unless I can find something that look similar. There's also the issue of the Sulaco patch as the female shirt has no chest pockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:21 pm 
Too Pretty to Die

Pisscutter? Is that the UK or broad term for that?

I just call them a "Burger Chef" hat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:32 pm 
Victor

AdonisSniper wrote:

Who you calling a broad?!?!?

We don't wear them in the UK - it's all peaked caps or berets here. I got the name from the Interwebs, so blame them. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:50 pm 
Lifer

Yeah I'm hoping you meant "board" and not "broad" too. :shock: :lol:

One of the colloquial terms we have for it...

is unspeakable on this board. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:57 pm 
Too Pretty to Die

I meant "broad term" as in calling all tissues "Kleenex" or all copiers "Xerox machines". So Was asking if it was the broad term across the UK or all countries.

Unspeakable even on this board?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:58 pm 
Victor

Hehehe! That's what I thought you meant - I was just messing with you. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:40 pm 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
Quote:

I just call them a "Burger Chef" hat.

We use to call anyone wearing them, "Canoeheads". hehe
Especially the Airforce or "Zoomies" hehe
~taunts Kevin~ :wink:

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:56 pm 
The Dead Mans Hand

Sarge I think I know this term you speak of and yes it would be proper not to use it here. hehe.

A03/TQ1.0.92141E1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:15 am 
Lifer

Removed as I wouldn't want to break any rules. :roll:

Last edited by SSgt Burton on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:37 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Steady there, remember forum rule 4! ;)

Harry

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next