The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:16 am 

OK i'm a disorganised dork, but have been saved by the miracle that is Picasa :oops:

Hiding in the depths of my hard drive were these 2 piccies - knew I had more from the LFCC somewhere. Anyway, hope they're a help.

OK the writing on them's a bit duff but people pinching other's photos of props and reusing them ( not pointing any fingers at anyone here btw ) seems to be getting out of hand. If any regulars here want them sans the gibberish I wrote on them then just pm me and I'll send you a link to grab em

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:12 am 
Lifer

Chris- many thanks for those pictures! :D

The hat certainly looks like it is the Royal Ulster Constabulary cap!

The pocket flaps were most likely fabricated- they are wider than the pockets themselves which is particularly odd.

Is it possible it is just a regular men's tan shirt? With small breast pockets that the flaps were added over? Or maybe the entire pockets were custom made?

My shirt has those little folds in the middle of the pockets- another nitpick. :wink:

Last edited by SSgt Burton on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:46 am 

I'm just led to believe that all this stuff was just custom tailored from scratch. There's no button hole at the top of the shirt for starters. Any shirt with a normal collar has a button hole there doesnt it to close the neck off. Also would they have bothered to pick off the stitching on pockets that were originally there to add those ones and unstitched epaullettes.

The grandad/beatles collar seems to be an over riding theme on of course this shirt, the bdu's and also the corporate suits on gateway.

I wonder who was responsible for the wardrobe on Aliens? I really don't know how wardrobe departments work in movies as it is.

Considering that ripleys and bishops jumpsuits, the marines dbu's and I presume the corporate guys suits were all custom made for the movie, knocking up a tan shirt and green shirt for Bill Hope wouldn't have been much more trouble.

Aye the pockets are an oddity - not sure whether the flaps are velcroed down or just stitched down. Certainly never seen an issued shirt like it this side of the pond thats for sure.

I don't think it is the RUC cap now. The one on Harry's display seems to be made of a almost felt like material - similar to the british cap image you posted for giggles. The ruc cap has a definite weave to its material, is a different shade of dark green, there's a seam in the material running vertically straight up the middle where the badge sits and also the chin strap adjusters do look different. It's damn close though and more than passable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:55 am 
Lifer

The more I look at the Canadian Forces Army cap I bought, the more I believe it is the closest match I will find...

Check it out with the center band removed! :shock: :D

I had planned on using the bar off of one of my old Air Cadet cap badges to attach a Challenge Coin to this CF cap. For that to work I would need the center band in place. However it looks closer to screen accurate without it. So I'm leaving the band off. I'm going to use Dom's method of epoxying a clutch-back pin to a coin and attaching it to my cap that way.

EDIT- I know what you're saying about the "weave" of the material; my CF cap has that as well. The British army cap has the proper "texture" however that particular cap's chinstrap is wrong (again very close but no cigar). It would be interesting to finally know what the hat is. :wink: 8)

And does the Eagle Globe Anchor device looks like it is older than the currently used ones? It is antique brass?

Like this?

(I meant bronze not brass :wink: :lol: )

Last edited by SSgt Burton on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:11 am 

Agree - that CF one with the band taken off looks like the RUC one.

Tis all good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:28 am 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
As dorky as this sounds, does anybody have William Hope's email address and if so, could they ask him some questions on the uniform like the pocket question, belt, footwear, etc. It seemed to work last year before Dcon when someone had a question about Vaz's T-shirt markings and after an email was sent to Jeanette Goldstein, we learned it was a devil. Remember fellow grunts? Even better, William is from Montreal. Dom, go look him up & over a beer or two, ask him some questions. I bet he would be flattered!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:50 am 
Lifer

I remember that it was a skull... not a devil on Vaz's shirt. :wink:

(Sorry Mike I'm just bustin' them :wink: ).

It certainly would help to email Mr Hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:51 am 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
Quote:
I remember that it was a skull... not a devil on Vaz's shirt.
Yeah, Kev, you're right
Quote:
(Sorry Mike I'm just bustin' them :wink: ).

OWWHHH ...my chops! :lol: :lol:

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:26 am 
Set to stun

Service Number: A01/TQ9.6.23466E8
Kev that CF Cap looks the business! Nice find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:01 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92155E1
I think the most identifiable feature of the cap are the two eyelets on the side. They aren't particularly common.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:29 pm 
Lifer

Maybe this is the screenused cap!

(Sorry- didn't mean to be mean :wink: ).

I kinda thought the eyelets were a common thing.

Or maybe they are not common on most British issue hats?

Last edited by SSgt Burton on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:43 pm 

No idea on the eyelet thingies - my regiment's head dress was a beret.

There's been a few dark green peaked caps on ebay uk recently but the image on the listings is pretty small. Again a kinf-of-close but not quite job from looking at them. Not going to link a listing but if you can't find them then seek professional medical help.

Kind of odd a lot of these caps get listed with fetish in the heading. Who the **** has a fetish for looking like a bus conductor?

Anyway, I'm wondering if Sir Harry of the Harris at some stage could take a look see at the gorman uniform and see if there are any markings on the hat that might reveal it's identity. Likewise with the trousers.

There's a 20lb wedge of prime cheddar up for grabs :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:49 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
springer69 wrote:
There's a 20lb wedge of prime cheddar up for grabs :P

You saw the same offer in ASDA then? :wink: :D

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92155E1
SSgt Burton wrote:
I kinda thought the eyelets were a common thing.

Or maybe they are not common on most British issue hats?

I've certainly not noticed eyelets on British caps. That's not to say that none of them have them. I've just never noticed any.

springer69 wrote:
Kind of odd a lot of these caps get listed with fetish in the heading.

There seems to be alot of that sort of thing going on in listings... Imagine the trouble I had when I was looking for a pair of spurs... Thank god I didn't want chaps to go with them! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:45 pm 
Lifer

springer69 wrote:
Kind of odd a lot of these caps get listed with fetish in the heading. Who the **** has a fetish for looking like a bus conductor?

Well it certainly won't be for a Bus Conductor uniform...

Or maybe it will... What do I know? :wink: :lol:

(Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink: )

When I was putting together my Grayson Robin costume I found a fantastic pair of leather gauntlet gloves from an ebay store in Germany. Not too thrilled that the auction was plastered with phrases such as "Look for more leather/bondage/fetish items in my store". :( :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:42 pm 
Lifer

Well I've nearly got this uniform finished so without further delay onto the piccies!! :D

It's about 95% done. Just waiting on a second Challenge Coin from Dom for the cap device. And I still have to switch out the nickle plated belt buckle for a gold/brass one (DSB tried to help me out with that, but by Murphy's Law the buckle was too small).

The belt is a basketweave (just like the film) althought it's hard to see (just like the film). :lol:

This is easily the closest I've come to a screen-accurate USCM uniform. Just thought I'd take a couple of pics before I go all EU by putting my drop ribbons and pewter drop wings on it. :wink:

Come to think of it I might go all the way and try to get an old bronze Eagle Globe Anchor device to see how it looks. The uniform would be 98% accurate then. :D

The only issue I have now is the rank. I planned on using a repo WWII khaki SSgt rank. But unfortunately with both the larger US flag and long SSgt rank- it does not fit on the sleeve without dipping down over the cuff... :cry:

I tried moving the US flag up as high as I could on the sleeve. The SSgt rank just barely fit and the combination just didn't look good (too crowded). So I moved the flag back to the correct position. What I'll probably do is put some rank pins (either gold or black) on the collar. Still up in the air about the rank.

So my photoshop skills might not be the greatest, but how's this? :wink:

All in all I'm very pleased with how this came out! :)

Last edited by SSgt Burton on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:02 pm 

Looking good Kev. Those doors have had a new coat of varnish haven't they? oh and the costumes not bad either.

Nice photoshop pic mate. You've done a good job of matching the lighting conditions. I might have to get your autograph now after seeing this extra special directors cut image.

Cheers
Darren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:40 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Kev, that looks fantastic! Like it came right off the screen, and that picture had me going for a slpit-second. :wink:

Well done!

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:19 pm 
Victor

Hello there, Marine. ;)

Looking good - just needs a white t-shirt underneath and you'll have it pretty much spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:19 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
That turned out superb Kev, just suuuuuu-perb!! And Great job of photoshopping!!! :D Love it!

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:22 pm 
Victim

Service Number: A86/TQ3.4.49421E3
Excellent work kevin. 8)

Photoshopping is great, I had to look twice. :lol:

you can't take the PUNK outa Spunkmeyer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:19 pm 
Too Pretty to Die

Heh, you're shorter than Burke. :)

Awesome costume

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:30 pm 
Duke Bronson

SSgt Burton wrote:
Just waiting on a second Challenge Coin from Dom for the cap device.
If you want that shipped off, let me know as I was under the impression I was handing you all your pending items in hand in TO.

SSgt Burton wrote:
The only issue I have now is the rank.
Consider the subdued rank pins on the shoulders like Gorman. Works for me.

Great uniform Kev, I love to see more Marines in their Charlies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:39 am 
Lifer

Hey many thanks everyone! :)

friendlyskies wrote:
Nice photoshop pic mate. You've done a good job of matching the lighting conditions. I might have to get your autograph now after seeing this extra special directors cut image.

Thanks Darren! I think I'll start telling everyone that I was fired along with Remar and the 1st A.D. :wink:

The photoshop looks good because of similar lighting- but I spent some time adjusting the hue (especially of my face) to match Gorman's. Another trick was to blur myself slightly to match the clarity (or lack of) of the screengrab. The thing I have the most trouble with is properly cropping myself before I do the cut and paste. I'm only using a Corel Photohouse program from 1997 though. :lol:

AdonisSniper wrote:
Heh, you're shorter than Burke.

You know how tall I am. :roll: :lol:

Paul Reiser and William Hope are around 5' 10". I'm probably being gracious with the height I gave myself in that pic. :lol:

Dom- yeah I was expecting the coin in the mail. I've pm'd you. :)

Thanks again everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:32 am 
Yardbird

I don't know if this was mentioned, I didn't read all the posts, but your chest pocket buttons need to go Kev.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next