The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:00 pm 
Lifer

Thanks DSB! I'm on the lookout for a belt- not so sure it was plain though:

It looks as if it may have been a basketweave. The film (and that sequence in particular) is sooooo poorly lit, it's very difficult to make out the details. I might just pick up a plain one anyway- depends on what I can find (money is a factor too unfortunately).

I also know what you're saying about screen accuracy. I'm going to be wearing my pewter drop wings and ribbons on the left breast anyway- so I figure an engraved nametag would keep in line with the direction I'm taking.

I'm also on the lookout for a decent campaign hat- so screen accuracy will be out the door while wearing that. :wink:

Last edited by SSgt Burton on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:02 pm 
Victor

Wow! That shirt looks excellent. Can't wait to see the finished results.

I'm still waiting on the USMC shirt I ordered about a month ago. Got a horrible feeling it may have gone missing in the post. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:03 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
I'm not sure on the belt either, now.

Going by the photo you posted, it does look like a basketweave. I think I thought it was a plain garison because someone posted photos of the screen used uniform owned by Harry, and it was displayed with a plain belt.

Maybe Harry can clarify.

And 100% screen acurate or not, no biggie. It'll look good reguardless by the time you are done. :)

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:18 pm 

:xeno:

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:23 pm 
Victor

That's definitely not the same belt as the one in the screencaps.

Though it's interesting to see how green the trousers actually are - I always thought they were more olive. There goes my idea of using No.2 dress trousers for my Charlies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:52 pm 
He's just a grunt...

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.62147E1
Well..mother in law altered my shirt..BEFORE I could stop her though, she cut the pockets straight, instead of just tucking the point under...no biggie I guess...she did a good job and the collar looks great..now onto the hat and pants for me.

Derek

RIP Pvt. Chris Chulamanis A14/TQ4.0.66993E7 You are missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:22 am 
Lifer

uscm grunt wrote:
Well..mother in law altered my shirt... she did a good job and the collar looks great

Pictures man! PICTURES!! :wink: 8)

Chris- if that is a screenused belt it was obviously not used in the apartment scene:

However there is the posibility that there were two belts- another continuity error by the filmmakers:

Here is Gorman's belt in the previous shot. It doesn't quite look like a basketweave here.

Who knows? :?

Last edited by SSgt Burton on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:24 am 

About the shirt, what do you think of the ol' US ARMY "Chino" Shirt

Was called once during WWII Shirt, Cotton, Khaki, EM or Officer, M37 (here replica from WWII IMPRESSION)

During Vietnam War an till early 90's short sleeve one were issued, llet me check the TM/FM Name but some times on surplus or Ebay they could be find

Got one with Blk Letter on Yellow stamp called : Shirt, Men's, Short Sleeve, Cotton/polyester, Army Tan 445, Durable Press

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:36 am 

Yes very difficult to say with regards to the belt. All I did was take the piccy when the HHACA was on display - hopefully Harry might be able to offer his insight into it.

On the subject of the cap, I dug around in some old photos and found this one. Shows the profile of the RUC cap from the side and behind. Stupid thing is I used to , ahem , own one of those RUC caps after it got liberated from the remains of an RUC armoured police car that had been parked at a police station that had been blown up. :P

:lol: No idea where it got to but I don't have it now. Anyway

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:07 pm 
Mad Cat

I'm wondering if there is a certain code as to how the Marines wear their dress covers. In some photos they seem to ride low, while others look to ride pretty high.

The one hat I have that has the good bill sits high on my head, but maybe that would be o.k. depending on how it's officially done.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:44 am 
Lifer

Lskiv- the shirt in the first pic would work. So would the one in the third pic, however it would take a bit more effort to turn the collar into a Mandarin style one.

Chris- certainly looks like that is the screenused hat. And am I crazy or is the dog's identity censored as well in that pic. :lol:

About the pic of the Gorman belt- that belt looks like a USMC officer sword belt:

DSB- Derek (Devildog) and Oneye are Marines and mentioned the regulation way of wearing a headdress- perhaps they could chime in again?

From what I gathered the brim of the cap must be parallel to the ground, and (two fingers?) above the ear. To accomplish this- rather than wearing what would normally be your hat size- you go about one or two sizes smaller.

Really this is why I ended up with two USMC caps (for my Dress Blues impression). One is a size 7 (what I normally wear) and the other a 6 7/8 (the tighter size for a better USMC fit). The CF army cap I bought is also a size 6 7/8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:02 am 
Duke Bronson

Parallel to the deck is what was said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:13 am 
Lifer

As in "Hit the deck"? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:43 pm 
Mad Cat

I had read about the "parallel to the ground" bit, but I was more worried about the hat size. The "two finger" bit confirms what I was wondering.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:42 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92155E1
SSgt Burton wrote:
And am I crazy or is the dog's identity censored as well in that pic. :lol:

The dog is probably a Corporal. Seriously. :D Got to keep his identity secret! :D

We go a size smaller for our SD caps. I wear a 57 beret but a 56 cap.
Officialy worn about an inch over the eyebrows and parallel to the ground. Generally though most of us wear the front lower on our heads, mine right on my eyebrows...
The back should be higher on your head than normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:10 pm 
Victor

WDI wrote:
The dog is probably a Corporal. Seriously. :D Got to keep his identity secret! :D

Gotta love an army that gives ranks to the animals. ;)

My USMC shirt arrived this morning. Unfortunately it's far to big for me to wear and it not look completely stupid so it's being donated to Hubby. Not going to have time to sort the collar out before the Expo but will get the patches on and take some pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:41 pm 
Duke Bronson

SSgt Burton wrote:
As in "Hit the deck"?
Yep, those crazy jarheads and their wacky nautical terms... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:28 pm 
Shithouse Mouse

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.22137E1
sharpuscm wrote:
SSgt Burton wrote:
As in "Hit the deck"?
Yep, those crazy jarheads and their wacky nautical terms... :lol:

That's because they hang out too much with them Navy Pukes. It's hard to believe, but you can teach a jarhead nautical terms, but can't teach a rust picker to use grunt terms ....
:wink: :lol: :D

2nd Batt 6th Regt
USS Tahoma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:58 pm 
Lifer

OK after staring at the hallway scene (standing outside the door of Ripley's apartment) with the brightness on my monitor turned up to 100%- advancing the scene frame by frame and watching in full motion over and over and over again...

I am convinced that the belt used is the same belt used while inside Ripley's apartment. I could just barely make out the tiny zig-zag pattern of a basketweave.

So now I just have to determine the size. Belts on ebay are an average 1 3/4 inches. However I really can't tell the scale- the belt Gorman is wearing looks like it might be larger- maybe 2" or 2 1/4" which is an average size for a police duty belt.

Another thing with the garrison belts on ebay- they all seem to have nickel buckles- I would have to buy a brass one seperately. :?

I placed an order with Paradestore yesterday. Ironically the two things I wanted the most were sold out- a USMC engraved nametag and an open faced buckle for a trouser webbelt. :cry:

So I'm just going to get a standard nametag made at one of those engraving kiosks.

Next week I have a week's vacation from work. I should be able to finish this project then! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:01 pm 
Mad Cat

I wish I would have posted this earlier, I have an extra basketweave garrison belt with brass buckle.

I would have sent it to ya free, but I'd also have to find it first.
:(

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:25 pm 

WDI wrote:
SSgt Burton wrote:
And am I crazy or is the dog's identity censored as well in that pic. :lol:

:lol:

It's just a particularly black dog and an old photo :) . I don't make a habit of posting operational photos wherever they were/are from on open public forums. Especially when there are people in them that maybe still serving in whatever they do. Kind of hard to get around that with this photo though hence covering the faces up. What others choose to do is of course down to them.

Think it's a fair bet though that mutt popped his clogs a while ago.

Never heard of British mil dogs getting ranks, although I'm aware of U.S mil ones getting a rank higher than their handlers to prevent 'abuse' . :shock:

And yep, there's plenty of animals with rank in the British Army and Royal Marines :wink:

Seems fitting to link this classic scene as it seems quite fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhGJQ6TjrCQ&feature=related

Anyway , back on topic. Perhaps the uniform Harry owns didn't come with a belt, so one similar to the SU one was sourced just for the display. Certainly seems like it's different from the one in the screencaps that's for sure

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:39 pm 
Another glorious day in the Corps!

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.72147E1
Kev, you're correct on the cover sizing. My service covers are 6 7/8. They should simply "perch" on your head.

"To err is human; to forgive, divine... Neither of which is Marine Corps policy."
"In Onoraigh Ar Marbh" ~ We Honor Our Fallen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:56 pm 
Mad Cat

But that feels......so wrong! Like it's ready to just slip off your noggin!

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92155E1
That's what the straps are for. :D

We tend to add an extra "chin strap" at the back to wear around the back of the head to stop it falling off in light breeze. If it's windy then all wear the main chip strap (on the chin).

The number one problem my lot have with headgear is pulling it too far down at the back - makes a beret look awful and caps shouldn't be able to sit that low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:14 pm 
Another glorious day in the Corps!

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.72147E1
Dropshipbob wrote:
But that feels......so wrong! Like it's ready to just slip off your noggin!

Eh, I never had a problem. You just snug them down just a bit and they're fine.

"To err is human; to forgive, divine... Neither of which is Marine Corps policy."
"In Onoraigh Ar Marbh" ~ We Honor Our Fallen

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next