The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 pm 
Duke Bronson

Ttaskmaster wrote:
I recall the Marines in Full Metal Jacket wearing Forage Caps during their Pass-Out parade. Could that reasonably mean it's a proper Vietnam Era USCM kit item, then?
I'm sure they were wearing Piss Cutters (aka garrison cap aka wedge).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:24 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92155E1
Forage cap being one of the British terms for them.

What I think you guys and the Americans call forage caps we call SD hats or "peak caps".

Post subject: Re: Gorman's OD Uniform
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:19 pm 
Get Some!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.02156E1
ROFL.

You guys have a puzzle of facts but they are coming together and are correct so I'll just fill in the blanks.

For you European types what us Americans know as a Garrison Cap is usually called an "Overseas Cap" and our military used it as well back in the day. Marines call them pisscutters/pisscovers as was explained, and a females these days look a little different from what us males wear.

The Female Chuck (Charlie) shirt is different as it has no pockets and is tapered to follow a woman's body build.

With re-enacting we also hit the medals/ribbons thing. We just stay away from valor awards and stick to campaign medals in impressions, the laws against them have a loophole purposely built in for Hollywood and such. To stay safe if it is real, its not yours and you never earned it for some false action in Desert Storm or whatever, if you are wearing a blatantly fake uniform, then there shouldn't be a problem. Wearing my WW2 dress I have yet to encounter someone that has given me crap, but it does happen.

The "Barracks Cover" (as we Marines know them) is a peaked cap or brim cap. Its also considered officially the Cap, Service. I think in those shots the color looks off like they used a USAF cover for Gorman. I thought it looked like the ones we use today (in our nice forrest green color) to stay somewhat true, enlisted wear a normal cover, while officers wear a cover that has a Quatrefoil on top, part of a tradition from the Royal Marines and both of our ship-to-ship combat/sharpshooting days as a recognition device for our officers.

As for the Barracks Cover, we are issued a frame and a cover. The only time you are to wear it is as a substitute for the garrison cap when proscribed the commanding officer, just as ribbons and badges in the Charlie uniform are optional as well unless proscribed (its usually assumed it is at least ribbons). When I graduated boot we wore CHuck shirts with barracks cover and ribbons AND badges but wore the garrison cap when we recieved our EGA's the day before so we could pin it on easier and not dirty up our barracks covers.

The garrison cap is the standard however with uniforms. If anyone wants to know more Modern Marine uniform info I can post something up detail it out and hopefully give you ideas to recreate film things or create fictional uniforms (Colonial Marine Blues anyone?). I think there are a few of us who have the knowledge.

By the way, Beadouin (sp?) thats an awesome setup you got there on the first page.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:02 am 

I've not heard the term "Overseas Cap" in Britain.
Ours are officially called the "Field Service Cap", but commonly referred to as a Forage Cap. Even more commonly called a "Chip Bag" i.e. it's similar to the bags the guy down the fish and chip shop put chips (fries) in before wrapping them in newspaper.

I think we've identified Gorman's hat as a Royal Ulster Constabulary cap.
I must pick one up from the one of the many government surplus stalls at Glastonbury this year. £7 is a bit of a bargain!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:00 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.42136E1
get a tan workshirt, change the collar and add pocket flaps, probably be the easiest thing to do. Even if you find the right shirt, you know it will be the wrong color :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:39 am 
The mythological taj

Service Number: A11/TQ0.0.82134E1
Looks like Im working on this
and I think Im going to wear a pink cowboy hat with it *ducks* joking dont kill me

Carpe Crustulum!! (seize the cookie!!)

Post subject: Gorman's Class "C" uniform...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Topic split from Gorman OD uniform discussion.

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject: Re: Service C uniform- enlisted
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:50 pm 
Lifer

Bumped this old thread as we have been discussing Service C impressions lately. Some good reference pics of the screenused uniform here!

Kevin

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm 
Yardbird

Mole wrote:

It we're talking about Gorman's uniform, in comparison to the real thing, his uniform is all sorts of wrong.
While he is wearing a Barrack's cover, he is wearing an Enlisted man's cover.
The officer's cover, in the USMC, has a design on the top and is referred to as a Gabardine Cover.
Here is a picture of a correct one...

http://stores.uniforms-4you.com/-strse- ... Detail.bok

Post subject: Re: Gorman's Class "C" uniform...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:40 pm 
Lifer

The only thing Gorman's uniform has in common with a genuine USMC Service C uniform is the EGA device on the service cap. Even Gorman's appears to be an older design (like WWII perhaps) as it is bronze and not subdued black like a modern EGA.

Everything else is either off the shelf of another military branch (the hat, belt and trousers are most likely British Army issue) or custom made in the case of the shirt itself.

There's more detailed info in my Service C Enlisted thread.

Kevin

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:05 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

WDI wrote:
These wierd Navy salutes... I still can't get used to them. ;)

God, yes!!!!!

WDI wrote:
Palm facing forward.......(snip)..........Timing "Up, 2, 3, Down"

Quoted almost verbatim from AP818, which is forever engraved into the album of my memory....

WDI wrote:
I've also had an officer effectivly salute me once by starting befor I did.

Evere been saluted by an Army NCO, who couldn't figure out if your RAF rank meant you were an officer?
It's Hi-Larious!!!!

WDI wrote:
Officers! :roll: Thank god for NCO's to guide them..

Our VRT officers drilled like Sea Cadets on drugs..... :shock:
Then we got a Warrant Officer :D

Cpl.B/0311 wrote:
All you have to do is rotate your hand slightly so that your palm can't be seen from the front.

Doesn't that depend on how 'vertically challenged' the DI is?
That could get very awkward if he's a complete short-arse!!

SSgt Burton wrote:
Either that or I'm a little rusty after not having to formally salute anyone/anything for over 18 years. :lol:

Rusty?

"Never before have I seen such a blatant display of poofery!
Clearly, you haven't done enough drill, Burton, you luverley lad..... Now get out on that parade ground you 'orrible man, you!!!!!!
MARCH! Left right, left right, left right, left right, move yourself move yourself, MOVE YOURSELF! Salute! "

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:18 pm 

Ttaskmaster wrote:
Quoted almost verbatim from AP818...

Good bedtime reading!

Post subject: Re: Service C uniform- enlisted and Gorman discussion.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:20 pm 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
I always hated drill. Drill is for "Garetroopers". A waste of time. Interesting that an army at war since 1948 (Israel) pays little attention to drill. Time spent on the parade square can be better spent on AFV & aircraft recognition, camouflage, first aid, field craft, unarmed combat, shooting skills, PT, foreign weapons, your actual trade, maintaining your own equipment including vehicles, etc, etc, etc. It's also a waste of time during leadership training as that time can better spent on small party taskings, leading patrols, instructing, preparing for O-Groups, etc.

Want to do drill? Join a drill team and travel the world marching, presenting arms to some politician who doesn't give a crap about you or your buddies and is there only for the political brownie points. Drill is something I would like to pluck from my memory. Sorry to be bitter but I always puke whenever someone likes to do drill. It's interesting to see how little of that crap is used when we have soldiers fighting bad guys in the Middle East.

Yes, I've done my share of drill and parades. Even when I was CB'ed (confined to barracks) for a week for being a bad soldier (yes, I was always in trouble for my mouth), I did rucksac drill. Ever slow march towards a wall then mark time staring at bricks with a rucksac on your back? At quick march, it was tough to get those hands breast pocket high.
Enuff OT

Yeah, interesting uniform Gorman Service C uniform had on. Suffice to say, I'll put together a Gorman OD uniform before I ever do a his Service C uniform.
Mike's 2 cents. :delta:

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:38 am 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Oh come on Mike! Drill was the most exciting and amazing thing...

...in the movie "Stripes."

"Where have you been?"
"Training, sir!"
"What kind of training son?"
"AAAAAARRRRRRMY Training SIR!"

LOL!

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:02 pm 

digging this up since I have a question and I never served, do you wear the ribbon bar with this uniform ? If not when do you actually wear it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:02 pm 
Another glorious day in the Corps!

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.72147E1
Tarim-rex wrote:
digging this up since I have a question and I never served, do you wear the ribbon bar with this uniform ? If not when do you actually wear it?

For the Charlie uniform, yes, in real-world settings, you'd wear ribbons / badges.

The problem with Gorman's uniform and the wearing of ribbons / badges is because, for some ungodly reason, they added nametapes to his uniform. So.... if you wanted to be screen-accurate and place nametapes on your costume, you'd wear the ribbons above the left-side nametape, which would then have the wonderful side-effect of having your ribbons ride super-high. Fun!

"To err is human; to forgive, divine... Neither of which is Marine Corps policy."
"In Onoraigh Ar Marbh" ~ We Honor Our Fallen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:11 pm 
He's just a grunt...

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.62147E1
Everyone who has done the C's have ribbons above the left nametape...if you put the tape right above (touching) the pocket flap, they really don't look too bad/high, as DD mentioned. But if you put a space in between the tape and pocket then yeah, it's too high. I'm not at home until Monday, but I'm sure someone has pics of Kevin, Sean or myself from the dinner this year at DC...as we were wearing our Charlies.

Derek

RIP Pvt. Chris Chulamanis A14/TQ4.0.66993E7 You are missed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:00 pm 
Lifer

Sorry for the late reply-

This pic is from '08, but still shows my ribbon rack placement:

One thing I find with the shirt is that it is very difficult to make the ribbons look "straight" while wearing the shirt. If I have the ribbons properly lined up with the top of the nametape they look waaay off when I have the shirt on (leaning downward to my armpit). I almost have to pin the ribbons to the shirt on a slight angle so they look semi even when I have the shirt on. :?

And with a larger rack, the effect becomes more prominent. My '08 rack was an 8 ribbon rack. Last DC was an 11 rack. I'm up to 13 now. :lol:

PS- I know that pic makes the nametape itself look off. Trust me it is perfectly parallel to the top of the pocket when hanging on a clothes hanger. :wink:

Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:43 pm 

Good picture Kev, I see we are using the tan stripes. Good to know

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:54 pm 
He's just a grunt...

Tarim-rex wrote:
Good picture Kev, I see we are using the tan stripes. Good to know

But screen accurate is to use the metal ones on your shoulders...but who are we to be screen accurate :lol:

Derek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:54 pm 
Another glorious day in the Corps!

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.72147E1
SSgt Burton wrote:
Sorry for the late reply-
One thing I find with the shirt is that it is very difficult to make the ribbons look "straight" while wearing the shirt. If have the ribbons properly lined up with the top of the nametape they look waaay off when I have the shirt on (leaning downward to my armpit). I almost have to pin the ribbons to the shirt on a slight angle so they look semi even when I have the shirt on. :?
Kevin

The "angle" of the ribbons is a quite common issue and is normal, especially on just the shirt. It's less of a problem, generally, when on a jacket due to the heavier material. Incidentally, this becomes more of a problem the higher the ribbons are mounted above the pocket. Unfortunately, due to nametapes, it's not possible (obviously) to mount them lower.

It's much better to just wear them aligned with the pocket (nametape) intead of cheating it at all.

BTW: If anyone wants to have a handy page for Marine Corps Uniform Regs, here you go.

"To err is human; to forgive, divine... Neither of which is Marine Corps policy."
"In Onoraigh Ar Marbh" ~ We Honor Our Fallen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:51 pm 
Lifer

Cpl Smith wrote:
But screen accurate is to use the metal ones on your shoulders...but who are we to be screen accurate :lol:

All we know is that officers wear a metal rank pin on each shoulder. During the briefing and mission, Gorman also had a metal Lt. rank pin on his OD field cap.

We never saw anyone else wearing a Service C uniform, and everyone else wore cloth rank badges on their bdus.

Personally I think this could go either way. :wink:

Derek C- Thanks for the advice on the ribbons and the link. Unfortuantely I couldn't view it. I got the following message:

You are unauthorized to view this page as you are on the "Dangerous Persons from Canadaland" watch list.

:wink:

Seriously thanks for the link. What actually peaked my interest was the last section about wearing the USMC uniform and the Law. I don't think it applies here with the Service C, but might be of interest with the Dress Blues uniform.

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:45 am 
He's just a grunt...

Well, I think what they are meaning is if an individual is wearing the uniform to actually portray a United States Marine, it's against the law....just like anyone caught wearing a UPS uniform and not an actual driver could technically be arrested or fined, as we are allowed in some highly secured areas..ie. bank vaults, etc..I myself have Federal Clearance to go anywhere inside the Airport.
But I dont think that by us changing the uniform in certain ways to portray a movie character (even the Blues) would fall under any law. If you'll notice Article 1 subarticle d states..

d. While portraying a member of the Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion picture production may wear the Marine Corps uniform provided the portrayal does not tend to discredit the Marine Corps.

Derek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:59 am 

I agree, I think the intent has to be to impersonate an actual Marine, Police Officer etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:06 am 
Lifer

I know. We've been through all this before ad nauseum... because of me. :wink:

It was this line that caught my attention (in other words... my paranoid side :wink: )-

Quote:
11004. LAWS PERTAINING TO THE UNIFORM

1. Per 10 U.S.C. 771, no person, unless otherwise authorized by law, may wear the uniform or a distinctive part of the uniform of which is similar to a distinctive part of the Marine Corps uniform.

I'd say the high collar tunic (with red piping) and white cover are pretty distinctive.

But like I've said, we've been through all this.

I think the bottom line is that the law can "turn a blind eye" to what we are doing- wearing actual USMC pieces for the purpose of costuming. But we're not actors. We're not even reenactors. I don't think the movie loophole applies to us at all. No, not even because we are "reenacting scenes from a movie" at a convention (which could be considered a public performance).

Well somebody go ahead and say it...

"Here we go again." :roll: :lol:

Kevin

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next