The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Colours: Humbrol Paint Codes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:59 pm 
30 Matte Dark Green
33 Matte Black
63 Matte Sand
98 Matte Chocolate
147 Matte Light Grey
170 Matte Brown Bess

Note that Bess Brown is not used on the armour itself, just accesories and other equipment. The above colours are in numerical order.

A note I have from Harry says that order of application is:

Marine Armour Colours (Humbrol, in order of application) 30 (Matt dark green.), 63 (Matt Sand), 33 (Matt black), 147 (Matt light grey), (although I have one list that has 148 as light grey) 98 (Matt chocolate - helmet only)
Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=williegoldman>Willie Goldman[/url] at: 9/3/05 11:23 pm

Post subject: Airbrushing Bess Brown...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:57 am 
sjanish said on 12/5/00:

Well? How did it turn out? What kind of thinner did you use?

I'm about to try it and figured I would see if anyone else has already tried and could maybe take some of the guesswork out of it for me.

Scott
s_janish@hotmail.com

------------------------------------------------------------

StevieRad said on 12/5/00 :

Scott,
I have. I used Humbrol thinner.....it is the only thinner that I found to work. I used a ,mix of 30/70. It takes a long time to dry. I let my pulse rifle stand for 2 days before I handled it. Oh....clean he airbrush right away......very nasty stuff when it dries.

Steve

Harry Harris said on 12/5/00:

What Steve said.

Humbrol enamel is evil stuff to airbrush, it'll stink the workshop out for a start (that's the thinners mostly) so make sure you're in a well-ventilated space.

I've also found that for some reason, on occasions, you might get spots that stay wet and sticky. The most likely reason for this that I can think of is that the paint isn't mixed properly. It needs to be stirred much more than you think to get all of the pigment at the bottom of the tin to break down.

I also agree with Steve about the drying time, you really do need to let the paint cure well before handling.

Regards,

Harry Harris.

uscmCorps said on 12/5/00:

When I sprayed my pulse rifle's shroud I used a car paint/primer. Great stuff... very easy to use with good results so long as you apply thin, even layers. I used Krylon's Camoflage systems spray paint which is what they often use for Hummers I believe.
How strong is the Humbrol enamel? If I was to spray my shroud in it would it scratch or chip easily?

-Alex

StevieRad said on 12/5/00 :

Harry is right about stirring up the little tin of paint. Take your time there.

As for durabulity...I found that Hum paint is very strong. Strong like bull.

Tailgunner said on 12/5/00 :

I have to watch what I spray now through my first airbrush. I shot a lot Humbrol enamels through it as a teen painting models and dioramas. I made an effort to clean it after spraying, but the stuff still built up in nooks and crannies inside the airbrush. Using it with water or oil based paint is ok, but I've ruined an Lexan RC car body when the lacquer ate bits of the old enamel and spit them out in the paintjob.

I've since bought another airbrush for lacquer work, but if I had it to do over I'd have bought a single action airbrush for spraying the Humbrol and not crudded up my "good" brush with it.
Butch...

Sjanish said on 12/06/00:

Wow, what a great response! Next question then. Currently I want to paint a resin piece. I plan to prime it with Krylon Sandable Primer. Good idea/bad idea? If that is a bad idea which primers have worked for you?

Thanks

Scott
s_janish@hotmail.com

Harry Harris said on 12/6/00 :

Steve,

Sorry, going back to Humbrol enamels for a minute have you ever tried thinning it with isopropyl alcohol? I'm just curious as I soak my airbrush parts in it after spraying Humbrols and it seems to dissolve it pretty well.

Regards,

Harry Harris.

sjanish said on 12/6/00 :

No problem Harry. I am interested in any and all information regarding the use of this paint. I have never used it and have heard it can be tricky. I also have an SD PR that will need to be painted and I want to know what to expect before I try to paint that. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Scott
s_janish@hotmail.com

StevieRad said on 12/6/00 :

I used to use Kylon....but I found something better. Dean Dymerski turned me on to it. It is called Plastikote Spot Filler Primer. It is very sandable and is the best primer out there. For resin it is great! It dos exactly what it says. Fills spots. It works great on fiberglass too!!! I get mine at the local PEP Boys autoparts.

Harry,
I tried everything. Denatured alcohol, windshield wiper fliud( I dilute my acrylics with this), all thinners.....the Humbrol worked the best.

Steve

Cool, I think I actually have a can of that from Pep Boys. How is it on small details? I bought it with plans to do a Voyager padd kit I got in trade and the guy said that was the perfect color for the padd.

Scott
s_janish@hotmail.com

gw2tulsa said on 12/6/00 :

Steve,

You mentioned Windshied Wiper Fluid for acrylics. Would ammonina cleaner do the same trick if it were diluted down a little more. Something about blue wiper cleaner just seems like it would mess up the paint color to me...

-Gary

Harry Harris said on 12/6/00 in response to a question of whether Bess Brown is green or brown:

Dan,

It's kind of a greenish-brown.

No, brownish-green!

Actually it's fairly brown to be honest, why do you ask?

Regards,

Harry Harris.

Yeah, the color is very hard to describe. It also seems to be easily distorted in photgraphs. The best way to tell is to see it for yourself. Buy a can and test it on some scrape. I would describe it as a muddy brown with some green mixed in...but the dirt may make different colored mud where you are.

Can anyone recommend some US based websites that sell Humbrol paint and thinner? I had some urls, but who knows where I put them.

Thanks

Scott
s_janish@hotmail.com

StevieRad said on 12/6/00 :

Gary,
It works great! Even when using light colors like greys and tan colors. Even white. No color change at all.

Steve

Harry Harris said on 12/6/00 :

The helmet cameras, smart gun sight, pulse rifle, flame thrower, motion tracker, dropship pilot helmets (possibly), various bits & pieces like that little miniature crate I have, Ripley's data disc are all brown bess.

Regards,

Harry Harris.

When you are out of Pulse Rifles, you are out of Weapons!

Post subject: Re: brown bess + airbrush = brake fluid + paint scraper...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:28 pm 
b26354 said on 12/25/01 :

Here's the result of some brown bess spraying - don't let your SO catch you doing this in the kitchen sink . Thank god for brake fluid.

[img]http://hooverae.com/upload/files/Brakefluid.jpg[/img]

Strangely enough the other side of the shroud came out fine. The problem was the airbrush slowly clogged up and I foolishly upped the air pressure resulting in the paint drying before it hit the surface resulting in a fine dust which rubbed off.

No problemo I thought - just lightly sand back the affected areas, soak the airbrish nozzle in Humbrol paint thinners for a while to unclog it, and repaint - WRONG! The sanded regions came out a totally different colour - doh!

No problemo I thought - lightly sand the whole thing back and re-spray with primer - This was my fatal error - the primer ate into the remaining brown bess and crazed (Humbrol over Testors primer=OK, Testors primer over humbrol = NOT OK).

Before it got too dry I liberally applied brake fluid and after some gentle scraping and some more brake fluid I had a nice paint-free shroud.

The second attempt came out much better (with frequent airbrush cleanings while painting)- still not perfect but a spray with Humbrol Satin Varnish seemed to help even out the colour and texture a lot.

Jon (AKA deckard65)

Post subject: Alternatives to Bess Brown.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:24 pm 
dropshipbob wrote on 4/30/03 :

Testors Model Master brand spray paint.
#1954, Light Earth.
Has about the right color to pass for Bess Brown. It was also posted here sometime ago that S.A.C. Bomber tan would also work. From the same company and paint line.

SSgt Burton wrote on 05/1/03:

Here's what I used:

It's Model Master Field Drab FS 30118.

I don't think it comes in a spray can version, but it would be fine for airbrushes (again I presume... I don't actually own an airbrush, but it's not Humbrol which seem to be a b--ch to use in an airbrush;) ).

I would post a pic, but it is very hard to show how it would look in natural light- things like the camera flash brighten it up too much and give it an incorrect colour.

You can see an example on my site- it's not the best pic but on my first page, if you scroll down to the helmet shots- my helmet mini cam is painted with that colour...

Oh hell with it... here's some shots:lol:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDiAq4Wo1IbQwP2BoYzSvqQiAxxr0*v1ZRcSDLOB6zGM6KcgxRifGmO0gh!sV3FtSsrsONGA5nPYzJ1ZW9rhtFKuUpP5cvz4YF7BJ0U2QVbP8VaalkS*w/Helmet1.jpg[/img]

You can see it looks a little too bright. It's much darker in real life. (something I still haven't found yet- a real life that is:lol: ).

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VQAAAKQaOZWwmuiSVGwZnltspvtjDY1LvMVAyt4PrppBaxoRgqlYfbfdJiT*7W8OTC1da9yj9SOmUO7xoD5!cgQdaG!SnKGkbQJoABrtuNCbPMTetfwhdlIHlDTO3b7z/SSgtBurtonHelene219.BMP[/img]

Although it's small and hard to see, this is much closer to the real colour. A dark, muted, military brown.
(That's me in my AvP 3 game... actually it's me on my last campaign- Helene 219 via Corel Photohouse;) )

Hope this helps:)

Kevin

Post subject: Acrylic paint equivalents
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:20 pm 
Exoframe2 wrote on 6/6/03 :

The colors we used are:
Base coat of Testors Model Master Medium Green (spray)
Delta Ceramcoat
Quaker Grey
Burnt Umber
Territorial Beige
Black (it doesn't really matter, black is black)
Again, these colors aren't perfect, but they're only about $0.70 a bottle, and are a lot easier to use and get than Humbrol paints.

Exo2

tk4444 wrote on 06/12/03:

This is the site to order the paints from, for cheap and it's in PA . $1.39 for 1/2 -fl-oz can.

www.londonbridgetoys.com/humbrol.htm

FNG wrote on 06/14/03 :

Some ramblings on how I did mine...

Although I pretty much knew how I was going to paint the armor I approached the task with some trepidation. This was relatively new ground for me. My experience with painting USCMs was limited to 1:6 scale. All preconceived concerns aside, making the jump to 1:1 scale, as it turned out, was a blast and a half. I approached painting it in the same way as I did the little 1:6 scale USCMs. I guess that shows as someone commented to me that my 1:1 armor looks just like the 1:6 examples. Works for me.

Little tins of Humbrol paints were computer color matched and mixed at a Lowe’s. They mixed a quart of each color for about $8.00 each. Having the correct base colors seems like the most sensible way to start. The paints are acrylics (water based) paints. Tough stuff, these paints were formulated for exterior use on homes. They apply easily, and no nasty fumes or messy clean up. The black paint was just off the shelf generic craft store black.

Invested time in looking over references of armor from Harry’s and Willies site and of course the DVD in order to familiarize my self with the armor camouflage finish. I had done this before in order to paint up the 1/6 Marines and found it very helpful. In order to achieve a fairly convincing overall finish one must go well beyond just applying the basic colors. The techniques of black washing and dry brushing serve just as well in the full sized world as they do for smaller scale modeling. The brushes I used were a 1â€

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]