The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Humbrol 170 matched with Tamiya acrylics
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:46 am 

After some experimentation I have managed to get a pretty decent match to the elusive Humbrol 170 AKA Brown Bess with Tamiya acrylics.

humbrol on top, tamiya on the bottom.

tamiya on top of Humbrol APC:

Paints are Tamiya XF-51 Khaki Drab and XF-7 Flat Red. I added 3ml of XF-7 (flat red) measured with a syringe to 10 ml bottle of XF-51. The only problem is I was incrementally adding 0.5ml red between resprays to home in on a match so I suspect the ratio is closer to 3.5ml red (maybe even 4) to 10ml khaki drab. It was airbrushed thinned with tamiya acrylic thinners (which is isopropyl alcohol). Also it looked much redder when the paint was wet. I though I had it at 2ml of red but it was still too green.

I'll double check the ratios with a fresh pot of Khaki on the weekend but this is the closest I've managed to get (both visually and photographically).

disclaimer: just because this is working for me doesn't mean it'll work for anyone else. BB looks slightly different depending on how it's applied but I specifically need a paint matched to this APC for a larger item in the same scale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:07 am 
Singing the doom song...

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.32150E1
I've used the Tamiya X-51 myself just on it's own, and it's a close match, but this mix looks really close. I'll have to try it on my next project :D

Cheers for info :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:43 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Nice one Jon, that looks spot on!

I think this topic should go in the archives straight away. Don't worry, I'll leave it here as well. :)

Harry

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]