The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Assembling an "Aliens" style Warrior costume updat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:20 pm 
Following all the discussions on the "Wanted" thread I thought it might be worth putting together a new thread on how to actually assemble a full size costuming Alien. Maybe even make it sticky mods? So please contribute any info, thoughts or comments you may have to this thread and I'll update as appropriate. When I get a chance I'll post some pics up to help the process. As things progress I'll also add a section to StarWarsHelmets.com as I'm tempted to add costumes from other movies including Alien, Terminator etc

The kit in this thread refers to the one based on the James Cameron refined Giger "Aliens"

Post subject: Re: Assembling an "Aliens" style Warrior Costume
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:47 pm 
I surfed through about 50 pages of postings on the Monster
Lab for something I read months ago I thought I would share. :D

The question is how to get rid of molding seams on latex castings. (needs to be done in the bug parts)
part one is to grind most of it off with a Dremel.
Now the intersting part that is the trade secret.

Ready?

Laquer thinner and a terry cloth rag.
You trim down, fast and dirty, your seam - and rub with the direction of your texture. The little nurnies (of terry cloth... I don't know what else to call them!) find their way into the wrinkles and what-not and - POW! Real fast.

After you've done that, try it with De-Limonene. Works even faster, and your shop now smells citrus-y fresh to boot!!!

for finer work on latex masks and castings ... sanding with wet'n'dry sandpaper and dish detergent 'n' water as a lubricant.the detergent gives a good slip, no nurnies so you can see what you're doing, and when you're done it washes off with water.

E...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 pm 
I've heard people caution about putting liquid latex directly on a fabric costume as the latex has a tendency to shrink, which will in turn cause your costume to be too small.

I don't know how to remedy this problem other than to wear it while the latex dries, but there's no telling how long that will take.

Imagine having to answer the door in your costume while waiting for the latex to dry...could make for some akward situations.

And as for supergluing the latex pieces directly onto the suit...I'd think that sooner or later the superglue would wear out and cause cracking of the latex piece, but I don't have evidence to back this up.
"Being dead means not having an opinion"
Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dropshipbob>dropshipbob[/url] at: 12/2/05 12:16 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:20 pm 
As for superglueing body parts to a cloth suit it can be done as well as adding latex over cloth. Another board I go to alot (Brotherhood of the BAt) this is done all the time to create latex Batman suits. Some use spandex suits or the most popular is a wetsuit or diving suit. Its what was used in most of the Batman movie costumes and the latex armor was glued to the cloth. Close up shots where of full latex which many people from that board use buy adding brush on latex to the suit while whereing the suit to stop it from shrinking. But when useing the liquid latex or superglue most use some kind of plastic wrap between there suit and skin to prevent a rash. Jason

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:26 pm 
Great tutorial Jez, looking forward to seeing the pics that help flesh out the descriptions.

Russ

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:27 pm 
TI305 - Great information - thanks for sharing. IMO you can get away with many of the seams as its supposed to look "rough and organic" but the head really needs to be smooth.

Dropshipbob - thats exactly what I heard and so Ive said you need to have the unitard firmly secured to a mannequin which should hopefully restrict the shrinkage.

I hear what you're saying regarding the superglue, so the stitching is vital as that should be taking most of the strain. Any ideas on what glue to use.

Also anu ideas on what glue for latex to latex. The chest and back sections will really need something STRONG. I tried a test piece earlier tonight using superglue and it just wasnt strong enough. The joins almost need welding

Keep em coming...

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:11 am 
Are you talking about a fishing line type of cord/thread for sewing? Aren't you worries it will tear through the latex alien parts and break free?

Russ

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:54 am 
Alright went back to the BotB board there is a whole section on glues most commonly used on there is Dap Weldwood in the red can. You must use saran wrap to keep from glueing it to yourself. Apply the wrap thick because as it cures it puts off considerable heat. This will help to avoid a rash. Next would be Bondini found at most Wal-marts works well on spandex/lycra/cotton/ and neoprenes. Also Goop Marine contact adhesive and Gel super glue are used by some people. Hope this helps. Jason

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:46 am 
Rook3 - I suppose its a bit of a trade-off. If the thread isnt really strong then it'll just break. Wide stitches would help and should stop it cutting through - i read this is what they did for the Aliens suits.

Bats1047 - Thanks for the heads up. Dap sounds great for the back seams but its not available in UK/Europe so Ive got a bloke at Bostik/Evostick trying to find something similar.

Bondini may be available here for the latex to Lycra. I have some Goop knocking around (again not available in the UK) from an old Tusken Raider helmet

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:34 pm 
What about putting on a layer of latex on the back of the pieces and then placing some fabric into it, that way you will be sewing fabic to fabric.

E...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:54 pm 
Nice one with the tutorial, Jez. I'm away at the moment but when I get back I'll take a few snaps of my suit progress too.
Btw, did your tail come with a strap inside or did you put that in there (referring to your first photo).

Andrew
ImageEdited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=andrewdavidclark>Andrew David Clark[/url]  Image at: 11/24/05 3:55 pm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:16 am 
TI305 - thats an idea. I'm going to try and do a test run this weekend on thse sewing. tbh I'd much prefer to not do any sewing at all and if I could find a glue instead I'd much prefer it. Maybe hot glue?

Andrew - yes there was a short strap in mine. Not sure how strong it is though.

Last night I tried a good technique for the back spines. I bought a length of plastic tubing (abount 1" dia) from a h/w store - it was dirt cheap. Cutting off about 6" lengths I drilled and inserted these into the 5 barbs and then drilled holes in the back section. This is a great way to support the spines and make them more stiff. I'll post some pics up this weekend

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:31 pm 
Jes, thank you soooo much for putting this together, a wealth of information!

Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dropshipbob>dropshipbob[/url] at: 12/2/05 12:43 pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:46 pm 
I've updated the tutorial on my site. there's a link to it from the front page.

Its starting to look scary!

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:52 pm 
:shock: WOW:shock:

Thats looking amazing.
I cant wait to see it in the flesh, well laytex

Good work mate

Geordi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:49 pm 
Quote:
Quote:Its starting to look scary!

Maybe I'm weird... but to me, that thing is looking freakin' gorgeous!!! ;) Loving it! :D

Were you able to do anything about the seam line down the front of the skull?

I am super impressed with how great this suit is coming together. Ahhhh... if only I was much taller and skinnier... :|

-Alex
"The M41-A. When you absolutely, positively have to kill every mofo in the room. Accept no substitutes."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:33 pm 
Thanks guys, I'm really enjoying the project, its a HUGE amount of fun.

Unfortunately I'm away for the week-end otherwise I'd be applying the Latex to the "bare" parts.

Then onto painting!

Geordie - I'll be looking for you, in the shadows

Dome wise its looking good. IMO the best way to get rid of the seam was to use a dremel - it worked really well.

Here's a close up and as you can see its quite smooth now

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:48 pm 
So what glue did you decide to use? Superglue Gel?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:50 pm 
Hey Jez!

Ah man you did an incredable job on the costume!
Thumbs up mate! Ill hopefully have mine completed!

You tutorials are fantstic!

Can't wait to see the finished item!

Keep us updated yeah??

BuGz:shock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:51 pm 
Yeah superglue Gel is superb for Latex-Latex as it practically welds the material together,

otherwise I used Evostick Contact Adhesive for sticking the Latex pieces to the Lycra and also for the large areas like the spines into the back (which I reinforced with plastic piping)

Cheers

jez

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:25 pm 
Wow Jez, that coming on really well mate :)
RPB Administrator
[img]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/849/rpfrpbbannerorg5sy.jpg[/img]
In Memory of Graham Campbell

[img]http://img203.exs.cx/img203/2379/linklarge2xv.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:38 am 
Very nice work mate!
That's going to be a wicked warrior, thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Pontus
"Art is whatever makes you proud to be human"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:40 am 
Wow coming along very nicely!! Very nicely indeed! Cant wait to shoot...I mean admire the finished thing!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:08 pm 
I really am quite excited about this costume!
Very rare do we see Alien costumes on here!

One thing im aiming to get is an Alien style alien with the dome on the head with same colour scheme!

Keep us posted Jez!:D

BuGz:shock:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:16 pm 
Wow, it's certainly looking the business.

Also looks like a heck of a lot of work. :shock:

Looking forward to seeing more.

Like BuGz said we don't see enough creatures on here.

Cheers,

Andy.
"I'm going to live forever, ...........or die trying!!"

www.exewng.co.uk

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next