The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:04 pm 

Alien 3, Capture Team Production Papers- original production material:

Thought I would post this here given this is a folder containing Alien 3 production paperwork. The folder contains cast photos, costume requirements, salary information and call sheets for all of the background actors portraying the 'capture team'. According to the individual who posted this on the your props website, this paperwork was obtained directly from a principle crew member. It would be great if the owner of this paper work is also a member of this forum. If so, perhaps this person can share a picture of the sheet that lists the costume requirements particularly for the commandos, names of the actors, and any formal name of their character. Are you out there? We would be most appreciative! :-)

Harry Harris, are you the owner of this paperwork or do you know who is? We would be most appreciative!!! :-)

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 53 KiB | Viewed 56687 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:13 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
zachilles wrote:
Harry Harris, are you the owner of this paperwork or do you know who is? We would be most appreciative!!! :-)

The owners name is right there on the photograph; 'aliensarchive'. He's a member here under the same name.

Harry

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:12 pm 

Harry Harris wrote:
zachilles wrote:

The owners name is right there on the photograph; 'aliensarchive'. He's a member here under the same name.

Harry

Thank you sir! I actually missed that. Lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:02 pm 
That folder doesn't list any detailed information like what you are asking for.

The only thing I know about the costumes that is not very well known is that the plastic backpacks were made by Simon Atherton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:17 pm 

Thanks for sharing that insight. Much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:42 pm 

Assistance is needed:

Here is what I have uncovered so far regarding the names listed on the back of the commando helmets.
1. Approximately 5 helmet wearing commandos appeared on screen at one time.
2. Al least 3 out of the 5 helmets had the following inscribed on the back: "Animal", "Boss", and "Cruncher".
3. It is unknown what additional decals the "Boss" helmet had. However, "Animal" had 3 red arrows while "Cruncher" (inscribed in black felt pen--my guess it was a black sharpie) had 3 "red paper stars". This particular helmet makes me believe the paper stars were made from red painters trimming or gaffers tape.

Below is the listing of the commando helmet that sold thru Christies in December 1994. (FYI, talking into consideration the original price the mask sold in 1994, the third film's unpopularity, and inflation rate between 1994 and July 2015, the cumulative rate of inflation puts the value today at 60.5%. Thus, if I purchased it in 1994 for $1887, the same item would cost today $3,028. This would exclude the popularity of the item now.)

"Alien 3 full head mask of reinforced aluminium

Listing Details
DateDec 21st, 1994
Sold for$1,887 USD
Auction HouseChristies
Websitewww.christies.com
TagsAlien 3
LOT 219 ALIEN 3
A full head mask of reinforced aluminium and g.r.p. with neckguard, hinged tinted goggles, noseguard and grilled mouth and chin area with three vents on one side, the back of the head applied with three red paper stars and inscribed in black felt pen Cruncher and inscribed on the inside G.S.; and a padded ski-jacket of white nylon, the zipped hood lined with white imitation fur, applied under the arms with reinforced plastic, both arms with two reflective grey stripes, the right arm applied with a circular white patch embroidered with a design incorporating a silver W - both made for the 1993 Twentieth Century Fox film Alien 3"

By the way, what does g.r.p stand for as noted in the Christies auction description?

Hope to hear from you guys!

Thanks in advance. :-)

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 56638 times ]

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 83.65 KiB | Viewed 56638 times ]

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 46.96 KiB | Viewed 56638 times ]

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 56638 times ]

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1015.02 KiB | Viewed 56638 times ]

Last edited by zachilles on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:13 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
The helmet designs are very medieval aren't they?

Wouldn't like to test one of those helmets out against a facehugger...

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:43 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Wow, this is some fantastic research dude! I didn't realize other helmets had personalization, it really adds some nice depth, you know?

So here's my thought. I figured Dietrich's red cross on her bag was painted on until Noble threw out the idea that it was red gaffer's tape. He sent me some anddamn if it doesn't look perfect. It is the right color red for these arrows and is non-reflective just like them too. That would be my first choice, and if you don't like it you can easily peel it off!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:03 am 

You have peaked my interest with your theory! :-) Can you share a pic asap? PM sent.

retrogarde wrote:
Wow, this is some fantastic research dude! I didn't realize other helmets had personalization, it really adds some nice depth, you know?

So here's my thought. I figured Dietrich's red cross on her bag was painted on until Noble threw out the idea that it was red gaffer's tape. He sent me some anddamn if it doesn't look perfect. It is the right color red for these arrows and is non-reflective just like them too. That would be my first choice, and if you don't like it you can easily peel it off!

Post subject: Re: Weyland Yutani Commando Alien 3
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:56 am 
Nocturnus Requiem

Service Number: WYI/TQ1.0.04837E5
It has been many years since I have thought of this costume and i have noticed that if you look at the "arms" coming from the backpack you've I'll notice that they are ribbed like these

http://www.egutter.com/GUTTER-GUARDS-LE ... -2x3-White

U.S.S. Nemesis
Weyland Yutani Inmate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:09 am 

Quote:
By the way, what does g.r.p stand for as noted in the Christies auction description? Any thoughts?

G.R.P stands for Glass Reinforced Plastic.

Or more commonly known as Fibreglass.

http://www.kgbairsoft.com/wordpress

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:57 am 

Thanks mate.

Separately, I am Adding one more pic to this thread. I think this covers all known pics in existence on the web. Unless anyone had any others they can share to help make this the ultimate thread.

Chef wrote:
Quote:
By the way, what does g.r.p stand for as noted in the Christies auction description? Any thoughts?

G.R.P stands for Glass Reinforced Plastic.

Or more commonly known as Fibreglass.

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 229.62 KiB | Viewed 56557 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:11 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92155E1
The question that has bugged me for years is how are the arm armour sleeves attached? We can see they have buckles on but there is so little reference showing how the other end of those buckles are attached to the flight jacket.

Last edited by WDI on Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:02 pm 

WDI wrote:
The question that has bugged me for years is how are the arm amour sleeves attached? We can see they have buckles on but there is so little reference showing how the other end of those buckles are attached to the flight jacket.

Correct, nothing else exists out there and I have spent 5 yrs throughly searching the internet for pics.
I think they are only attached in the front somewhere onto the flight jacket , while the weight of the back pack keeps it in position in the rear.

Do you own or know where I can purchase the white flight jacket? I have seen them in other colors but was hoping to get it in white. They used to make them but have discontinued. Would you or anyone out there be willing to sell me one?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:04 pm 

Thanks for sharing. What about the parts that are connected to the ribbed gutter components? Can you source this and provide the links? Thanks in advance.

Anubian wrote:
It has been many years since I have thought of this costume and i have noticed that if you look at the "arms" coming from the backpack you've I'll notice that they are ribbed like these

http://www.egutter.com/GUTTER-GUARDS-LE ... -2x3-White

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:07 pm 

I'm afraid the white N2B is very difficult to find now.

There were a few selling on eBay Germany some years ago. I haven't looked in ages.

I'd imagine the sleeves are attached somehow at the back. The weight of the backpack wouldn't keep them in place when moving. They would have a tendency to slip down the arms.
All it really needs is for the two sleeves to be attached to each other via a length of webbing at the back.

The lower 'arms' of the backpack are all guttering downpipe parts.
At each end of the flexible section are 90 degree elbow adapters, rectangular to round.
A rummage around a good hardware store would be a good place to start.

Last edited by WDI on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:17 pm 

True...keep these analysis coming. :-)

I think I will design a sketch of how I think the sleeve portion will look. My take is it slips on top of the head and the right arm is a separate attachment under OR the right sleeve is partially stitched under the portion that drapes over the shoulder. Thus you slip in the arms (arms up) in tandem with slipping it over the head. Know what I mean?

WDI wrote:
I'm afraid the white N2B is very difficult to find now.

There were a few selling on eBay Germany some years ago. I haven't looked in ages.

I'd imagine the sleeves are attached somehow at the back. The weight of the backpack wouldn't keep them in place when moving. They would have a tendency to slip down the arms.
All it really needs is for the two sleeves to be attached to each other via a length of webbing at the back.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:24 pm 

The 'handler' backpacks are also made of some of the same guttering parts.

Attachment:
dc1ie7.jpg
dc1ie7.jpg [ 37 KiB | Viewed 56546 times ]

Attachment:
dc3qh7.jpg
dc3qh7.jpg [ 20.26 KiB | Viewed 56546 times ]

Attachment:
dc4qu7.jpg
dc4qu7.jpg [ 21.51 KiB | Viewed 56546 times ]

As you can see there, the upper section with the lights is the same rectangular to round elbow adapter as used on the trooper backpacks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:28 pm 

WDI wrote:
The 'handler' backpacks are also made of some of the same guttering parts.
As you can see there, the upper section with the lights is the same rectangular to round elbow adapter as used on the trooper backpacks.

Do you know where that particular rectangular to round component can be found? Can't anyone provide a hyperlink?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:32 pm 

Wickes in the UK sell something similar for ventilation ducting.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Ducting- ... m/p/713039

I dare say somewhere like Lowes might have what we're looking for in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:47 pm 

Awesome. Thanks mate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:13 pm 

WDI wrote:
Wickes in the UK sell something similar for ventilation ducting.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Ducting- ... m/p/713039

I dare say somewhere like Lowes might have what we're looking for in the US.

were you able to source the front component on either side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:23 pm 

EDITED - Only to say that it appears to be a round 45° bend. Heated and squashed in at the sides to make it more rectanglular, with a plate screwed onto it containing some greeblies.

Attachment:
image4.jpg
image4.jpg [ 825.78 KiB | Viewed 56541 times ]

Last edited by WDI on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:27 pm 

WDI wrote:
Only to say that it appears to be another round to rectangular adapter, this time 45°, with a plate screwed onto it containing some greeblies.

So we are looking at 3 components for this section. Have you seen anything closely resembling that on the Wickes website? Just wondering.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:57 pm 

I've revised my opinion. The more I dig, the more I'm moving away from guttering and into ventilation ducting.
It seems to turn up far more of the parts.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next