The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Armor: Marine Helmet Pull Down IR Eyepiece tutorial.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Admin Note:

The following info was shared by Chris "FNG" Chulamanis on his web site back around 2004 or so.

I'm reprinting it here for posterity since his site, along with ALL the other AOL sites is now gone.
It is not screen accurate, but it may be useable for those on a tight budget.
If you're looking for a more accurate, fully finished version, please contact SPAT.

Russ

Quote:
Lighted Infrared Sight Made Easy
by FNG

Okay people, listen up. Time to let the cat out of the bag. An off-the-shelf Brookstone Lighted 2X
Pop-Up Magnifier converts easily to a USCM Helmet Mounted Infrared Sight. Woooo-hooooooooooo!

FNG is giving it up. That's right (getting into character) So listen up, all you grunts with Helmets, but
no lights on in your attics! No, no, no, put the pencil away, numb nuts. This is going to be easy and
you won't need to take notes.

Some of you have asked how I made the "Infrared Sight" on my USCM (Spat) helmet. I danced around
giving anyone a straight answer to that question for a couple of reasons. First, Spat had done some work
on getting a prop replica of the sight made and I didn't want to step on toes. The other reason was because
making it into a "kit" with a single cast resin piece, a printed lens display, and a simple how to instruction sheet,
came to mind. Having made my reasons for not divulging how I did it clear, I also invited a few folks to
guess at how I did it. Not a one could see or guess despite some hints like... This little unit has a self-contained
power source, is spring-loaded and pops down automatically with the push of a button. The light turns on when
the lens is deployed. OK, one more time; this little unit has a self-contained power source, is spring-loaded and
pops down automatically with the push of a button. The light turns on when the lens is deployed.

Long pause. I'm still getting blank looks. OK, it looks like I'm just gonna have to spell it out for you.
What? No, I don't need a pencil, numb nuts!

Now, listen up, Marines! FNG says KISS [Keep It Simple Stupid!]! Prepare to be amazed. Here's how I did it.
Started with a simple, off the shelf, ready made, comes in a nice box, Brookstone Lighted 2X Pop-Up Magnifier.

Attachment:
irsins5.jpg
irsins5.jpg [ 6.98 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]

Yeah, that's right. OK, you can raise your jaw now, sonny. I told you it was easy. Sets you back about
$12.00. Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen. It gets even better. All you need to do is carefully cut off
a corner. Do your homework and you can probably determine the best dimensions for the corner cut so
it's dead on accurate.

Next, build up a frame section using some stock styrene. The frame you make runs across the bottom and
across the corner section you remove. Glue it on, paint it, and you're done. Check the PICs below for reference.

Attachment:
irsins4.jpg
irsins4.jpg [ 15.99 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]

A good image of the lens markings used in the film is out there. I just made one up that was convincing
enough for me and printed it on transparency film. Glued it to the back of the lens and there you have it.

I cut a clearance slot in the helmet liner so the whole unit would slide in between the helmet liner webbing
and the liner. Makes for a good tight fit so it's all pretty snug. Remove the metal clip (as shown) that holds
the sweatband to the liner. Check the PICs below for reference.

Attachment:
irsins1.jpg
irsins1.jpg [ 32.26 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]
Attachment:
irsins2.jpg
irsins2.jpg [ 22.72 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]

Attachment:
irsins3.jpg
irsins3.jpg [ 16.07 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]

If there is a drawback to all this it's that the lens has 2x magnification properties but the truth is I've used
the thing a few times and it doesn't really matter too much. The effect is very convincing. This unit does
not represent what some would describe as a movie accurate prop replica.

Attachment:
hd8.jpg
hd8.jpg [ 27.59 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]
Attachment:
hd9.jpg
hd9.jpg [ 17.8 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]

Spat is in the process of doing that. Perhaps a lens with proper markings can be adapted to this ready
made (for the most part) unit?

(IR Graphic created by DropshipBob)

Attachment:
irfinal.jpg
irfinal.jpg [ 63.19 KiB | Viewed 4630 times ]

So, all you grunts with Helmets, but no lights on in your attics... get out there and make one!

FNG out!

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]