The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Prop Parts: Smartgun IR Box & Cylinder
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:35 pm 
Well, I'm getting closer to putting the Smartgun together. Does any one have any idea what the IR box was made from? Was it custom or was just a project box? Also does anyone notice the cylinder under the bottom, near the steady cam mount. It hangs down about 2" and is about 1-3/4" wide. Any help would be great!
Thanks, Painkiller

Post subject: Re: Smartgun parts question..
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:48 am 
I think the IR sight was a found part but I don't know what...

This is the shape I came up with after looking at the extra features on the quadrilogy box set i.e I don't think it's a simple box.

www.b26354.co.nz/smartgun/pictures/dsc_1828.html

lightened grab from DVD:

Jon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:35 am 
re: the "cylinder" - are you referring to the battery pack that plugs in-line to the cable harness?
<span style="font-family:courier;]PFC Sean "Romeo" Maio
A01/TQ2.0.72156E1
Orlando, FL, USA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:41 am 
No, It looks like something else wider. Not realy the same shape as the battery.
Painkiller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:28 pm 
If you could post an image that shows what you're referring to it would be very helpful :)
<span style="font-family:courier;]PFC Sean "Romeo" Maio
A01/TQ2.0.72156E1
Orlando, FL, USA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:28 pm 
The cylinder below the smartgun is most likely the weight that was added to get the steadicam arm working correctly. It is located exactly below the arm-gun connection point. The MG42 alone was not heavy enough to replace a movie camera and so they had to add this.

Cheers,
Stefan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:44 pm 
After holding Oz's full metal SG at the NSC i'd say the gun was more than heavy enough to make the arm work properly.I'd say the weight was added to balance the gun rather than make it heavier.
Andy Gardener - TK2173

"The UK Garrisson,the very best there is.When you absolutely ,positvely,have to impress every mutha in the vicinity,accept no substitutes."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]