The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: smart gun and helmet cam question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:20 pm 
First..

why is a smart gun called a smart gun ??

And

Does anyone know what the found parts on the helmet cam are, aside from the pentax lens ?

Scott

Post subject: Re: smart gun and helmet cam question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:30 pm 
Hi Scott

I think the Smart gun is named as such because of it's ability to self aim (or self targeting) to a degree.

As far as i know the only found part on the camera is the Pentax lense. The rest of the camera body was custom made.

Cheers

Darren
Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=friendlyskies>Friendlyskies[/url] at: 2/3/07 7:32 am

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:38 am 
Jesse DeGraff is the person to ask, but I believe there are pieces of the scope from the Original Megatron on it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:30 am 
The parts for the head set are: (I think)

Beyerdynamic Headset H 560
Olympus Flash T28 (keep the calculator for the Motion Tracker)
Blue Hinge disk from a Vivitar 2500 Flash
Megatron canon
Twirly lead I can't remember but you can get it on "that" "auction site.
Custom built camera (the headset camera is a bit smaller than the standard Helmet camera)
Custom built eye piece (although the eye piece here
www.dotlinecorp.com/pdfpa...04_E23.pdf looks kinda like the one on the original HS.
Beyerdynamic plug on the end of twirly lead.

I"m pretty sure these are right, good luck

Iain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:17 pm 
Headset is called HM560 and the boom mike on it is called M560. The twirly cord has a Neutrix plug to one end (that's what it said in an earlier thread)..

Also, the link to that piece that resembles the SU eyepiece doesn't work very well :-) I'd love to see it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:08 pm 
Maybe my topic confused people.
The helmet cam I was referring to is not the smart gunner head gear.
I meant the camera on the side of the helmet.
The part just looks like a found piece.
I doubt the prop guys actually machined it or anything.
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:53 pm 
Ok, sorry, when you started with a Smart Gun question, I thought you meant the camera on the Smart Gun's headset.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:43 am 
[smug]Well I knew what he meant...[/smug] ... but I still don't know where the camera body's from. :lol:
<span style="color:lime;]Cpl. Dom "SharP" Beaudoin - USCM Service Number Registrar
A10/TQ1.0.92147E1
<span style="color:yellow;]Need a USCM service number assigned to you? E-mail me at [url=mailto:cplbeaudoin@hotmail.com]cplbeaudoin@hotmail.com[/url]
<span style="color:red;font-size:large;]The USCM Challenge Coin! Get yours <span style="color:blue;font-size:large;]here<span style="color:red;font-size:large;]!

[img]http://www.pbase.com/image/68371348/original.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:06 pm 
But DECHANDE, you can still show us the link to the nice-looking eyepiece if possible :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:27 pm 
I guess nobody knows why a smart gun is called a smart gun
What kind of fans are you ??
:D
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 pm 
No, we just didn't chime in after FriendlySkies answerred the question in the first reply.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:06 pm 
FriendlySkies was right the weapons ability to track targets independently without the need to be completely controled by its user gives it the name "Smartgun" though the tracking can be overided by the wearer of the smartgun it will automatically track moving targets until told to do otherwise but it cannot fire by itself

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:06 am 
Weapon intelligence basics:

Dumb: Completely ballistic round such as a bullet or howitzer shell. Absolutely no directional control once the round has been fired.

Smart: Guided weapon. Can home in on target with assistance from the point of origin (eg: a radar guided missile can track it's target as long as the plane it was launched from keeps pointing it's radar at the intended target).

Brilliant or Bright: Completely self guided. Also known as "fire and forget" weapons. Can track targets without any assistance. Can avoid anti-missile attacks and return to original course to target, and differenciate between friend or foe.

So applying this to the USCM, the smart-gun still requires assitance from the gunner making it a "smart" weapon, while the sentry gun is completely unassisted once armed putting it in the "bright" category (although it does not have friend or foe awareness).

Kevin

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDnAloXyJBkYBZV7s*Kj9!1Bc8b0FJ!WEmX8BpHJk8yRyABH697OsLy1Bm1knQrHcDDdHqDnRAmyoDB6vy6w!ASmCM57J8W6cyCxY8Y84TWwwCw7UVNAA/Burton%20004.JPG[/img]

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won."

Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ssgtburton>SSgt Burton[/url]  Image at: 2/7/07 7:13 pm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:24 am 
Quote:
Quote:...although it does not have friend or foe awareness
Isn't that what the 'IFF Status' is on the Sentry Gun set-up screen?

Beneath that it says "Search, Test, Engaged, Interrogate".

Harry
[img]http://www.triotech.demon.co.uk/hhacabanner.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:15 am 
You're right Harry, IFF indeed stands for identify friend or foe.

I was going on what we saw on screen- the sentry shot at anything that moved (including an inert tub tossed infront of it).

The settings of the IFF for the sentry are a bit cryptic- Hicks sets it to "search" before Vasquez throws the tub.
Kevin

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDnAloXyJBkYBZV7s*Kj9!1Bc8b0FJ!WEmX8BpHJk8yRyABH697OsLy1Bm1knQrHcDDdHqDnRAmyoDB6vy6w!ASmCM57J8W6cyCxY8Y84TWwwCw7UVNAA/Burton%20004.JPG[/img]

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:32 pm 
That and Hicks was very adament to 'get the hell out of there' once it was set up.

My guess they set it to fire at anything that moved because they were not sure how to track the Aliens using the system given and it was better be safe than sorry.
[img]http://www.colonialmarines.net/Banner.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:00 pm 
Quote:
Quote:I meant the camera on the side of the helmet.
The part just looks like a found piece.
I doubt the prop guys actually machined it or anything.

Perhaps Harry can ask Terry English if he knows the hemet cam origin the next time he talks to him?

Russ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:59 pm 
It may also be because they had a civilian with them. We know the APC could track the Marines, so it would not be unreasonable to think that their armor would have a IFF id, but the civies would not. Since the xenomorphs likewise would not have one, it would have to be set so that it would shoot non-ID'd individuals.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:01 pm 
Perhaps we should start another thread? ;) :)

Kevin

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]