The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Prop Parts: The Smartgun (Steadicam Arm)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:51 pm 
Hi,
I'm trying to build a smartgun with the harness and the arm,
I've found some good pic www.vision-forge-graphics.../index.htm but no plans:(
Somebody can help me to find Steadicam arm plan (or a cheap Steadicam arm:lol: )?
Thx
Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=williegoldman>Willie Goldman[/url] at: 4/13/04 1:45 am

Post subject: Re: Steadicam arm
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:04 am 
The link you have posted is to Jesse's site.
He's in the process of building on from scratch.

If you look at the bottom of his posts there should be a link to the discussion on this board.

E...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:54 am 
Quote:
Quote:Somebody can help me to find Steadicam arm plan (or a cheap Steadicam arm )?

Depends on if you're trying to accurately replicate a Steadicam III arm, or if you're going to use artistic license :) If you're trying to do an accurate replica, you'll either need to wait or start building your own from all the pictures and reference at the site you listed and my project page at:
www.vision-forge-graphics.com/jesse/props/m56_project.htm

If you're NOT striving for accuracy and using artistic license, there is a good plan set finally available from a man named Cody Deegan. He's developed almost a cult following in the homebuilt stabilizer community since he's done such a good job with his plan set. You can find more info directly here:
www.codydeegan.com/

or at his forum, which spawned off of the Homebuilt Stabilizer forum because his plans were so popular.

The Homebuilt Stabilizers Forum

Cody's Plans spawned forum ;)

If you go to the demo section of the codydeegan.com site, you can see that this is a nicely working homebuilt rig. Particularly fun to watch is the clip "Testing", and at at the end shows the working rig in the mirror. Also, the first clip, "Contrast", shows the rig (and the difference between using a rig and hand-holding the camera ;)

Best,
Jesse
"Happiness is a warm smartgun."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:00 am 
Jesse posting in a stedicam thread...Quel Surprise!...

Heh... The man knows his stuff lemme tell ya..;)

<M>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:13 am 
Quote:
Quote:Jesse posting in a stedicam thread...Quel Surprise!...

To paraphrase Bill Paxton from another sci-fi movie:
"Smartguns are my specialty!" :D

We each have our own little (or big) areas of expertise, and mine happens to be the smartgun and it's associated hardware ;)

BTW, I'll probably end up buying Cody's stabilizer plans for implementing a good working stabilizer arm to go with my vest and the Glidecam 4000 that I have at work :)

Jesse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:44 pm 
I forgot to add that if you go to the Homebuilt Stabilizers website (as opposed to the forum), there are lots of pics of homebuilt arms in the gallery there. You might get helpful ideas :)

Homebuilt Stabilizers

Jesse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:53 pm 
Many many thanks :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:29 am 
Jesse, I am still wanting to buy your complete Smartgun kit when it is finished! You haven't emailed me in a while, so let me know! :P
Ryan Chorzempa
Veritas necnon decus, etiam valedico.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]