The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Prop Parts: The Pulse Rifle (Remington 870)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:40 pm 
I'm currently in search of an old Remington 870 reciever and mag tube for my M41A. I figured that, becuase we have so many seasoned PR-building veterans, I'd be able to find someone here that could point me in the right direction.

Anyone know of a good source for these? What have your experiences been in your searches for these shotguns?

Thanks!

-Brian
Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=williegoldman>Willie Goldman[/url] at: 4/14/04 2:40 am

Post subject: Re: The search for a Remington 870 thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:08 am 
Theyre everywhere..:lol: ...Really there are plenty out there just check out pawn shops and older gun shops . Police departments have been trading in their old 870's for newer guns which leaves the market with a lot of cheap, pretty well used guns. You can go new too since there are several variants of the 870 out there sa well as some "clones" as well.
Norinco makes one know as the model 98 , and so does a company called hawk industries called the HP9. Both suitable replacements.

Dont expect to just get a reciever and not have to go through all the gun purchasing red tape because you will.
All the other parts are freely available but the reciever is the part that has to be registered.

BTW where do you live Brian?
Gun laws vary widley state to state and country to country.

<M>

[img]http://www.image-hosting.net/images/messageboard/knightshayd/lstsoulsbanner.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:17 am 
Note that if you live in the USA, and don't deactivate the shotgun, you'll have to register it with the BATF before shortening the barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:12 pm 
I'm from Minnesota. As far as I know, since Jesse Ventura plowed through, there isnt much gun control to speak of. Heck, I could even buy a handgun and cary it around with some of the right papers in that wonderful state!

I'm definitely going to be deactivating it and will be using a resin barrel to reduce weight.

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:35 pm 
You shouldn't need papers to protect yourself :( .

In Arizona you don't... there's a background check of course. And if you wish to carry concealed you must go through the course to be certified and what not and pay the fee.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:13 pm 
Generaly you need to get papers (tax stamp) on short barreld shotguns or rifles, Machineguns, and silencers....even in Arizona.

Heh wheather should or shouldn't...want to or have to is an entirely different debate. ;)

<M>

[img]http://www.image-hosting.net/images/messageboard/knightshayd/lstsoulsbanner.gif]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:43 pm 
Quote:
Quote:I'm from Minnesota... I could even buy a handgun and cary it around with some of the right papers in that wonderful state!

You USED to be able to do that EASILY in Minnesota. Now, you need OVERLY EXPENSIVE firearms training, even for those of us who have POSSESSED a concealed carry permit for 10 YEARS or more.

This is a sore spot for me. It's the "local government"s way to keep guns out of people's hands. I'm a law abiding citizen. I've never committed a felony or any vilonet crime against another person. And even though I've held a concealed carry permit for over 10 years (I've had one almost every year since 1989) the MN government NOW wants me to pay an additional $150-250 for the First Ammendment "privledge."

Sorry, just realized I was on a soap box there. :lol:

What kind of prices are the Police return 870s going for? The cheapest in my area I've seen a used 870 is $200.

And which civillian version would be the correct one since I haven't seen an actual M870?

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:01 pm 
I'm of the opinion any version of the 870 would work but thats me...I'm not shure which "exact" model is the right one though.

I've seen some pretty banged up models as low as $100-$150.
Dealers have told me they have paid as little as $75 for them!

<M>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:03 pm 
I've heard claims that you can find a busted up reciever from a parts dealer/pawn shop for as low as 50 bucks. I'd pay 75 for an old busted up one, maybe as high as 100. I think the trick is to find a pawn or gun shop that has one sitting around for parts; seeing how common of a gun the 870 is, I wouldn't doubt that a shop would have such a thing.

The plan for me is to simply call a bunch of shops in minneapolis until I find one.

Brian

PS. (sorry to change the subject quick) Hey GM: how much did you pay for those metal M1A1 recievers on your PR? I want to get one to replace the resin one from my GEM M1A1 (I dont think resin would be able to support the weight of a metal barrel, barel vent, support triangle, spas cage, and m870.) I would love for it to be metal, milled and have the block attached, but I'm not too keen on the 250 dollar pricetag. What should I do?
Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ignaut>Ignaut[/url] at: 11/8/03 2:10 pm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:49 pm 
Keystone Arms Sells the aluminum recievers for $150...plus shipping.
Those are the ones I have.

The stock barrel is too short I'm not too shure what they used in the Movie, but it looks like perhaps they used a 16 inch carbine barrel and cut it down that would account for the lack of a "swell" at the muzzle as seen on the 12"commandos and the 16" carbines.
At any rate the aluminum recievers are not threaded so the barrel or whatever you use has to be pressed in or a bushing pressed in so you can thread it to accept a barrel.

Also they are solid and are molded in the bolt open position.
There are small cutouts in the reciever to accomodate the bolt handle.
IF one were to machine out the reciever to accomodate a working bolt then those notches would be a glaring error in the reciever....but as it stands with a bolt in place its not noticable.

~Pictures upon request~

Matt

[img]http://www.image-hosting.net/images/messageboard/knightshayd/lstsoulsbanner.gif]Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=guardianmatsuo>Guardian Matsuo[/url] at: 11/8/03 2:50 pm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:11 pm 
Damn. Thats a lot of cash for something that wont even allow a bolt. Understandable since I know thats the common market price for such an item, but it's still too steep for my pocket.

I think the solution to my problems lies in a job working at a machine shop. Summer job here I come! :D

What is rather perfect, though, is that the university I'm attending has full workshops for EVERYTHING. Metal shop, machine shop, foundry, wooshop, and the best of all: Autolab. The auto lab is pretty useless except for one machine. Basically, its this big robotic machine that accepts CAD diagrams of whatever you want. Put in the file, and a few hours later it spits out a high density plastic copy. It might work in metal, too.:D :D :D Who has the PR shroud in CAD?

Sooo, I'm gonna start kissing some ass over at the autolab!

Back to the topic of 870's...I think I'm just going to call lots of gun shops in minneapolis and find an old busted up one for 'round 100 dollars. I'll register it, etc, and then deactivate the firing pin and cut down the barrel (maybe use resin if its too heavy).

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:25 pm 
Okay, I finally found an 870. This guy is offering the reciever and mag tube for around 100 dollars (delivered). I said I'd pay 110 if he deactivated it for me before he sent it off...now I need to explain to him how to deactivate it.

How do you deactivate a Remington 870?

----EDIT----
Turns out he thought I only wanted the reciever and mag tube without the internals, so that deal will probably go sour. :( :( :(
Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ignaut>Ignaut[/url] at: 12/6/03 11:51 am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:27 pm 
You should do the job yourself to make sure it's done right. You don't want to risk some shoddy not good enough for the ATF job that somebody else might do.

By the way my earlier quote was talking about not needing papers here in Arizona to carry around a pistol ;) . I'm well aware of the legal hoops you have to jump through for machine guns, silencers, and short barreled rifles :) . I was specifically talking about how you don't need papers here to protect yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:43 pm 
My method of deactivation is a fairly easy one, but does require welding to make it foolproof. Plus it should still cock, cycle rounds and you will be able to pull the trigger. I will be working on mine this week. :D
tell them Im coming, and hell is coming with me

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]