The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Prop Parts: Pulse Rifle (Blank-Firing M1A1 Thompson)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:30 pm 
Does anyone know whether these two thompsons I've found are the right sort for Pulse Rifle construction? I want one that fires blanks to add to my new kit.
And more- are these good prices for them?
I've been looking for ones in the UK. Don't even want to think about the dynamics of having one shipped from somewhere else.

Number 1

Number 2

Lewis
Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=williegoldman>Willie Goldman[/url] at: 4/15/04 11:49 pm

Post subject: Re: Blank-Firing M1A1 Thompson
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:34 pm 
BBC both the right models. Number one fires the small reusable brass caps (not real blanks) and number two is not blank firing, it's a pre 95 deactivated (fully strippable working action) original Thompson

Both are about the going cost over here at the moment. I previously almost purchased the Hudson myself :)

<span style="color:black;font-family:FederationBold;font-size:medium;]Adapt-Overcome-SurviveEdited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=osmotic>Osmotic[/url] at: 11/12/03 12:39 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:44 pm 
I can't help you out on price. But those are both the correct model for Pulse Rifle construction.
fdoveraker@att.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:00 pm 
You might want to find out what the dealer price is on a new non functioning Thompson made by Auto-Ordanance like I mentioned in the other thread. It might be lower than these, and it'd be brand new and the real deal (except non firing of course).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:35 pm 
I would go with the Hudson model myself; The magazine appears to be the correct 20 round for making a pulse rifle clip.

I used to own a Government Colt .45 from Hudson (or was it MGJ?) about 17 years ago. Os is right that it uses replica .45 rounds that have a hollow tip, which you would insert a cap into. I think the caps are hard to come by these days.

The gun had a completely solid barrel (filled with lead?), and could be partially field stripped.

I think the Hudson is a bit of a collector's item these days.

Kevin
The Sarge's Site
[url=http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ssgtburton/lst?.dir=/Sarge%27s+Pics&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t
&.done=http%3a//ca.photos.yahoo.com/]Sarge's Pics[/url]

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:20 am 
Sorry guys, I'm a total dumbo when it comes to guns. What you're saying is that neither of these are blank firing. One fires 'caps', and the Number 2.....does what? has moving parts, but doesn't fire or look like it's firing?

Caps- they're reusable- I presume they stay within the gun (you don't have to buy refills everything you waste your rounds)?. How close are caps to looking and sounding like the real thing?

See, what I want is a realistic recoil and sound. (I presume to get a muzzle flash, there would have to be a different system installed- how did they get the muzzle flashes in the film?)

Lewi-Lew-Lewis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:22 pm 
To be honest, I never managed to get my hands on the "caps" for the replica bullets, so I couldn't tell you how loud they are.

The bullets themselves are re-useable, but you have to replace the cap each time you fire one of these bullets.

It was my understanding that my .45 would fire semi-auto with these caps, reloading rounds by itself.

What you are looking for is a blank-firing (8mm rounds) full auto fire Thompson replica, yes?

Not too sure if one exists- for the general public. Anyone else know better?

The number 2 Thompson does nothing, but be able to be taken apart, and have a sliding bolt action. Kinda like a model car that has all the moving parts, but does not actually run.
Kevin
The Sarge's Site
[url=http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ssgtburton/lst?.dir=/Sarge%27s+Pics&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t
&.done=http%3a//ca.photos.yahoo.com/]Sarge's Pics[/url]

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:49 am 
I have a couple of the blank firing 8mm pistols, and I have blanks for my long guns. But I have never seen a 8mm blank smg or Aslt rifle. Let me know if you find one.
Why not get the airsoft M1A1? The feel is almost identacle, and it actually fires. I have one and love it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:51 pm 
Although I'm sure airsoft would be a lot of fun; I would never have the time to take it and use it at an airsoft place. & airsoft wouldn't make a recoil or a loud noise, which is what I'm really after. Film making would be my main use for it; I'm always looking for ways to make better short films.

Surely, what they used in the films were blank firing thompsons?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:06 pm 
BBC, It is possible to buy 9mm blank firing Thompsons. They crop-up now and again in Gun Mart however they go for upwards of £900 GBP.

Most of them have the gas from the blank ported out of the top of the barrel so, A: You won’t have barrel flash and B: The gas is ported out into the area where the shroud fits. :(

<span style="color:black;font-family:FederationBold;font-size:medium;]Adapt-Overcome-Survive

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:56 am 
Were I based in the UK I'd really try my best to procure one of those blank thompsons. If it didn't work with the PR I would not rest until I saw that it did!..;)

I am currently working on designing a blank only thompson upper using the 8mm Fiocchi. However it will be of little help to you lads in the UK. :(

Let me just say that the laws regarding a "Blank only" SMG's here in the US are stifling at best....:roll: ...

I'm told that blank SMG's abound in europe but uncle sam will not alow them in the country no matter how we beg barter or offer assurances....they are high on the naughty list for the ATF...which is complete and utter rubbish when all I have to do is drop an extra $200, (plus price of gun) and get a real macheen gun that shoots real bullets....Yet we can't import blank guns that can in no way shape or form be made to fire projectiles...err safely that is..:oops:

I'ts a crazy world boys and girls...be thankfull we have what few toys we have...they may be banned some day too.

<M>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]