The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Cleaning gun parts.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:40 pm 
Sjanish wrote on 02/26/01:

The resident gun freak at work told me the following and it worked pretty well for me. I assume yours is coated with cozmoline as mine was.

First, LOTS of paper towels. Wipe as much of the gunk away as possible.

Next, get some acetone, or your favorite petroleum based solvent. You may want to get a pair of rubber gloves to keep as much of it off of you as possible. I used the kind that say they are paint solvent safe. By the time I was done they were beginning to wear holes anyway. Go outside, soak a rag or paper towels with the solvent and wipe off the parts again.

He also said you can get the stuff out of the wood by taking a rag and using a steam iron. Steam the rag as close as possible without touching it. Supposedly the steam will draw the cozmoline out of the wood. I tried it but did not have much success. I think I am just going to try and put the stuff on ebay as is. My time is not worth the couple extra bucks I would get.

Scott
s_janish@hotmail.com

------------------------------------------------------------

Wakal wrote on 02/26/01:

Oven cleaner will pull Cosmoline out of milspec-finished wood. I clean up Garands and Enfields (that have been in storage forever) quite regularly.

That magic goop, WD-40, is quite useful on the metal parts too.

Alex

Faramir66103 wrote on 02/26/01:

If you're going to go with the WD-40 remember that WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant and it does nothing to protect the metal once it's clean. I've yet to run into a shooter who uses WD-40 on firearms. I know there are some out there, but most avoid the stuff like the plague. I've been racking my brain for the name of the stuff I use on my firearms and just can't remember it. If I wasn't trying to think of it I wouldn't have trouble, aarrgghhh. It's the civilian equilivent of the military cleaning solvent and light lubricant. All the folks who shoot surplus firearms that I know use this stuff and love it. When I get home I'll update this post with the name. It's good stuff and took the cosmoline off the Thompson mags I got recently in a jiffy. The odor isn't unpleasant and it doesn't harm your skin. Since your Thompson isn't a functional firearm, most of the concerns about WD-40 aren't all that important. Just be sure to lube the working parts with a good lubricant, and oil it once it's clean to keep the wear on moving parts to a minimum as well as to protect it from the environment.

HTH,
Adam Jacob "Faramir"
adamjacob@mac.com
ICQ 47024895 "SoundGoat"

LRRP wrote on 02/26/01:

If you are going to be working with petroleum based solvents don't use latex gloves. Petroleum products tend to turn latex back into a gritty powder. Some of you may have witnessed this through the unfortunate combination of petroleum jelly (i.e. Vaseline) and a latex condom.

What you're looking for are what's called "mechanic's" gloves, which are made out of nitrile. My father, who spends his retired years restoring cars, and the guy he uses to rebuild transmissions both swear by these gloves. They stand up to hours in transmission fluid and solvents, but are thin enough to allow you to feel small parts and deal with paper-work.

Most good auto supply houses should carry them. The cheapest place I know of to get them is www.harborfreight.com. (I'm lucky enough to work near one of their outlets, so shipping isn't an issue.) They tend to run about twice as much as latex gloves.

Hope this helps,

Tom 'LRRP' Webster

Faramir66103 wrote on 02/27/01:

Well, Alex, Tom and Armourer beat me to it. That's all good information. The stuff I was trying to remember the name for is called Break-Free, and does a fantastic job on most of the gunk I've found in my old guns and is the least offensive cleaning product I've found. It's not as strong as the Hopps, but also not as nasty on the nose or hands. The Break-Free does sometimes seem to take more patches and more scrubbing than I'd like though. I'd also agree that the Tetra products are really nice. It seems that cleaning regimens are as individual as shooters themselves.

Oh, and Alex, I have to say I'm rather jealous of your range time. I'm lucky if I can get in a couple hundred rounds a month. The only decent ranges around here are almost an hour from the heart of the city where my office and home are, and since I can't reload (tiny apartment) rifle ammo adds up pretty quickly.

Adam Jacob "Faramir"
adamjacob@mac.com
ICQ 47024895 "SoundGoat"

When you are out of Pulse Rifles, you are out of Weapons!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]