The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:58 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I'm trying to figure out where to cut the back right side. Please excuse this really lame diagram!

If I cut at the same point as the front left (see a few posts back) I'd be cutting into the first of the two rectangular things on the right side of the piece. But when I look at the original prop I don't see any evidence of those in the build. The tube looks longer and has a vertical latch (red arrow pointing it out crudely). The bit outlined in yellow is the reversed M16; I just wanted to clarify what was most definitely not part of the back piece.

My thinking is that I will cut just to the left of the area with the pair of rectangles, and just under it as well. I then may need to create more length for the tube out of putty, and find a donor for the latch.

Attachment:
backpuzzle.jpg
backpuzzle.jpg [ 19.28 KiB | Viewed 26362 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:06 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
retrogarde wrote:
I'm trying to figure out where to cut the back right side. Please excuse this really lame diagram!

If I cut at the same point as the front left (see a few posts back) I'd be cutting into the first of the two rectangular things on the right side of the piece. But when I look at the original prop I don't see any evidence of those in the build. The tube looks longer and has a vertical latch (red arrow pointing it out crudely). The bit outlined in yellow is the reversed M16; I just wanted to clarify what was most definitely not part of the back piece.

My thinking is that I will cut just to the left of the area with the pair of rectangles, and just under it as well. I then may need to create more length for the tube out of putty, and find a donor for the latch.

Attachment:
backpuzzle.jpg

I'd keep extra (longer) tube, personally. Extra tube could hide behind/under other parts and maybe contribute to some stability. Not sure what the support "bones" of the build are like, but since the middle reciever section is wider, you may not need to cut the back one much at all. Just slap the middle parts over the top of the back parts. Just grind the surface of the part that is to be covered so it is more flat and cover in body filler after joining them appropriately. Assuming that doesnt make it to thick overall, the layering effect may add strength.

Does that makes sense? not sure I am explaining what I am thinking very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:19 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Hmm, I'm not following with the 'keep extra (longer) tube" as right now I think I have less tube to start with.

But what I'm really realizing is that I need to dismantle and cut up the second M16 before I go any further as it has much more clear-cut edges. From there I can more easily (I hope) determine what needs to be cut/overlapped/blended on the back part.

Thanks Terran!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:47 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Not as much progress this weekend as I'd hoped, transferring my youngest son to a "big boy" bed took up the lion's share of the weekend. I did however get the second M16 taken apart.

Attachment:
split.jpg
split.jpg [ 105.27 KiB | Viewed 26286 times ]

This one is already molded in black which is a heck of a lot better than clear plastic. It'll need to be painted regardless, but if the paint scrapes off it won't look too odd. I'm just finalizing where the cuts will need to be.

I also did a little work on the tank. I forgot to take a photo, but I trimmed the funnel down to the correct height. The lines on the funnel are model railroad tracks according to Shawn Morgan, but he didn't mention the scale. I'll try to work that part out. As for the ribbing on the tube, Harry sent me this note:

Re the other ribbing, check this video out (Chrissie explains it about 4:15 in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEm10yx0RS8

Awesome story! ADC: this is your video, right? Great stuff mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:20 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Here's what I'm looking at for the left side "front" M16. This will be the backwards facing piece directly over the fuel tank. Now my plastic M16 has a few slight differences in detailing versus what they used in the original prop, so I'll need to work around these limitations as best I can.

Attachment:
cutlines.jpg
cutlines.jpg [ 58.7 KiB | Viewed 26269 times ]

Hopefully I can get this side cut up tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:01 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Damn, that was easy! I got both sides done in no time!

Attachment:
trimmed.jpg
trimmed.jpg [ 120.43 KiB | Viewed 26238 times ]

There's still some general cleanup and sanding to do, but overall that was not the chore I thought it was going to be.

So I mentioned some differences in my last post between this M16 and the ones used for the actual film prop. This photo highlights those differences nicely:

Attachment:
madeinchina.jpg
madeinchina.jpg [ 81.61 KiB | Viewed 26238 times ]

The "Made in China" is the easiest to fix. I can sand it off or putty over it as it is recessed into the surface. If I had the talent I'd rework it to say "Made on Thedus", but I think I'll just make it go away. But the more interesting issue is the raised area to the left. When I blow up the picture of the original prop I don't see the same ridge, at least not the vertical line:

Attachment:
detailcarryhandle.jpg
detailcarryhandle.jpg [ 651.15 KiB | Viewed 26238 times ]

So do I sand mine down or leave it as a slight variation? This is the side that will be against my body when I'm carrying it after all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:22 pm 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
I would leave it as; unless it bothers you. It will blend in with the final products, rarely be seen, and probably isn't worth the effort of trying to successfully get rid of it.

Of course if it really bothers you, then by all means make it go away. :)

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:11 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

The tank is really coming together:

Attachment:
metaltank.jpg
metaltank.jpg [ 55.62 KiB | Viewed 26201 times ]

I'm still looking for the right curved object to finish off the bottom, and I need to extend the neck a bit (I somehow miscalculated where the soda bottle top needed to be in relation to the funnel part...).

Since I'm not having any luck with model train tracks for the ridges on the funnel I think I've found my own solution. Photos coming soon to see what folks think!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:19 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
For the curved bottom... Dummy security camera dome?

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject: Re: DIY: making an M240 Flamethrower
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:32 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Man that thing looks great.

As for the curved bottom, I suggest a trip to Lowes/Home Depot and you check out the "post caps" in building materials section. The posts for decks and stair cases have a ton of round 'tops' in both wood and plastic in various sizes. I bet you can find something suitable and lightweight to lop a rounded chunk out of. The decorative wood bits in the same section where you find dowel rods might be particularly rich in candidates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:38 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Great suggestions, thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:57 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
There are also Christmas ornament globes at Hobby Lobby that come in two halves made of clear plastic.

Or if you have a stock pile of plastic Easter eggs, some of those have domed lower halfs that might work if you have one that's big enough.

It's a boot!"

III drops

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:54 pm 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.12129E1
The bits that are confusing you are cos they used an reversed m16a1 upper receiver with the forward assist on it and a reversed m16 lower receiver, the raised area around the mag push button on your replica m16 is a added part they put on for the m16a1 lower receiver to prevent the mag push being hit accidently, the round grooved part is the original barrel mount, the part above the trigger handle is another lower receiver the right way around, you can see the safety catch on the left and the hole for the catch on the right the latch looks like it might be a slap latch from the other side of the receiver then it seems to have a lot of filler blocking the holes,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:49 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Hi Gunny! That makes a lot of sense about the ridges. If you look back on page 1 on June 27th I posted a picture of some of the parts laid out. I've got the reversed M16 in the front (under the carry handle) and in the back is the forward facing M16 (above the handle). Are you saying I'm still missing part of an M16 somewhere? I appreciate the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:20 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
He's saying they used two models of the M16: The M16 and M16A1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:23 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Gotcha. I'm not sure I'm keen on scraping the ridge off though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:34 am 
Wild Brew

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.72140G1
Looking great. I have this on my todo list and I'm saving this topic for future reference. :D

"If you are going to die, die with a real weapon. Not a little sissy gun like that. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:26 am 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.12261E1
I always wondered if a lot of people attempted the flamethrower...very, very cool indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:01 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks man! I've get a bit more done including a crazy easy solution to that ridge problem... Photos coming soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:04 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Sorry this update is kind of all over the place!

First off, the obvious solution to the "ridge" problem was simply to hack off the whole area! When I look at the original flame unit prop the only detail on that surface is the oval button thingy (sorry I don't have technical names for these things). I can replace the whole are with a sheet of plastic cut to size with the button hole drilled out and the button glued in place. No ridges, no sanding, no problem!

Attachment:
hackjob.jpg
hackjob.jpg [ 45.72 KiB | Viewed 25987 times ]

Next up was the issue of the vertical ridges on the funnel top of the tank. As I said earlier, Shawn told me they were model train tracks, but I don't have a hobby shop near me anymore and I didn't want to go ordering a bunch of different ones in hopes of getting a match. Instead, I looked around at what I had and hit up on this: sections of zip-ties!

Attachment:
tankridges.jpg
tankridges.jpg [ 80.43 KiB | Viewed 25987 times ]

My woodworking friend had a little show and tell for me this morning. He is cutting out the pattern in a few different thicknesses of wood and plastic. Given the huge difference in thickness between the middle portion and the handle on this puppy I figured having multiple options would be a good call. In the end I will probably use parts of each, with some overlap so that I can be sure it is bolted together securely.

Attachment:
twothicknesses.jpg
twothicknesses.jpg [ 95.42 KiB | Viewed 25987 times ]

No photo but I successfully hacked and sanded the forward assist off the back section (right rear). My next project is to putty up the hole and smooth it over so that no one will be the wiser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:09 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Great progress!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:12 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

I finished off the top of the tank with putty and a length of plastic pipe. It still needs a little cleanup before I paint it, but this end is effectively done. Now on to the bottom!

Attachment:
topfinish.jpg
topfinish.jpg [ 100.23 KiB | Viewed 25946 times ]

I finally found my donor for the rounded bottom of the tank: a hard plastic SpongeBob Squarepants ball!

Attachment:
spongebob.jpg
spongebob.jpg [ 112.67 KiB | Viewed 25946 times ]

Yes, I stole a toy from my two-year-old and will go to a special hell for it, but for now I have a solid test fit for the bottom of the tank:

Attachment:
bottomfit.jpg
bottomfit.jpg [ 69.84 KiB | Viewed 25946 times ]

I need to do a little putty work on the bottom before I glue this in place, and then we're on to painting and weathering! I'm excited to have this portion done, but I'm also planning tank 2.0 as well. I figure I'll make two and which ever I like better will be my primary, and the secondary will be rigged to hang from the bottom two brackets on my Marine armour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:01 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

The fact that this M16 toy was made out of clear plastic makes it extremely difficult to photograph. Believe it or not, this is a photo of the hole from the forward assist puttied over and sanded smooth. I'll need to give it a test coat of paint to make sure it's set, but I'm guessing it's at least 90% there. I also sanded off the "made in China", even though that area might be covered up with a lever.

Attachment:
backrightputty.jpg
backrightputty.jpg [ 135.6 KiB | Viewed 25936 times ]

While I'm stealing from the toddler I might as well steal from my older son too: this orange piece is a Hot Wheels track cut to match the greeblie on the side of the original prop (I've put the M16 piece from above in this photo just as a size reference). No one has identified the original piece used, but I think once this is painted up it will look pretty darned good.

Attachment:
hotwheels.jpg
hotwheels.jpg [ 35.77 KiB | Viewed 25936 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:46 pm 

loving this build. you are doing great work. keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:50 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks a lot Martin!

So I had the chance to get some paint on the tank. Here's the first coat:

Attachment:
firstcoat.jpg
firstcoat.jpg [ 71.75 KiB | Viewed 25894 times ]

And showing the bottom painted up:

Attachment:
firstcoat2.jpg
firstcoat2.jpg [ 56.49 KiB | Viewed 25894 times ]

I'm really happy with the results! I also painted the back piece and am happy to say I only need to reputty one small part (shown already in process), and sand a bit more on the bottom of the area I patched.

Attachment:
backsanding.jpg
backsanding.jpg [ 52.17 KiB | Viewed 25894 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next