The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:16 pm 
GarageGeek

just my humble two cents. Instead of walking patiently with the parade I imagine the marines running around inside the parade space, yelling shit, taking shots, quick pictures with crowd, going fucking nuts and getting people amped, maybe tossing candy into the crowd like it were a grenade. gotta throw some aliens into it too and just have this insane moving battle. maybe even lines from the movie over a loudspeaker or megaphone. or a flag that says game over man or something.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:09 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
seven wrote:
just my humble two cents. Instead of walking patiently with the parade I imagine the marines running around inside the parade space, yelling shit, taking shots, quick pictures with crowd, going fucking nuts and getting people amped, maybe tossing candy into the crowd like it were a grenade. gotta throw some aliens into it too and just have this insane moving battle. maybe even lines from the movie over a loudspeaker or megaphone. or a flag that says game over man or something.

Safety of the parade and crowd generally will not allow for tossing of items such as candy (aggrevated assault potential.) Plus there are a lot of nut jobs out there that security is having to be mindful of and that would be enough to cause safety and security concerns. In all honesty such an idea would have to be approved by the event organizer and security.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:38 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Aliens have always been welcomed in the parade. Fact is it is early for DragonCon time, hot, a lengthy route to/during the parade and many do not want to do it on a regular basis. The reason there is so many marines is that it is the costume most have and it is available. Many do not have the body type for the Alien or want to deal with the heat contrary to what other will say.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Last edited by gman666 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: *****Disbanding of the Color Guard****
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:33 am 
Duke Bronson

Even our most dedicated xenomorphs have passed out at the conclusion of the parade. Atlanta in September is hot and humid. Also, the costume is large and takes up valuable luggage space for people flying in, and can be expensive. So unless its crowdfunded, some past xenos have just either stopped coming, or stopped bringing in their second skin.

Last edited by SGM Baldwin on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:50 am 

I have to admit that seeing this thread is sort of reassuring in a way. The first time I saw the CG I was a bit confused and conflicted. Even as a major fan of Aliens I wondered if the guys in dress were actual service men. I wasn’t offended but there is a desire among people like myself who do appreciate and respect people in the armed forces to express that respect. I am sure that the forming of the color guard happened with the best of intentions and that no one involved was actively trying still valor. I honestly love the Idea behind it.

As far as being mistaken for GI Joe and what not. Just know that there are plenty of guys like myself who can’t tell you what video game or anime someone is cosplaing but it makes our day to see a colonial marine or a good predator or Zeno. You may not mean something to the most people but you mean the most to the ones that get it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:22 pm 
GarageGeek

Big Stew wrote:
at the end of the parade we were saluted by an amputee in a wheelchair This made me deeply uncomfortable and turned a fun experience in to a deeply unpleasant one, which i have no wish to ever repeat.

Damn dude, that would fuck me up. so uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:02 pm 
Duke Bronson

MegaNewt wrote:
The first time I saw the CG I was a bit confused and conflicted. Even as a major fan of Aliens I wondered if the guys in dress were actual service men. I wasn’t offended but there is a desire among people like myself who do appreciate and respect people in the armed forces to express that respect.
Some of us were either veterans or servicemen. And those who weren’t were brought up to an acceptable standard with our help so that they were nearly indistinguishable to the average civilian in the crowd. We did this with 1 hour of practice they day before yearly, and very few showed appreciation, and it seemed mostly to me like it was an inconvenience to some. The aim of the CG was to advance our fandom to the front of the parade and increase our visibility, and finally to instill a great feeling of patriotism to all as we held the flags of nations for all to see with great honour and pride. What better way to do that than in Service C’s, shiny shoes, and gleaming badges? If you couldn’t understand the scope of the project, then I can’t reach you.