The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:05 am 
Dropbear
User avatar

Location: Australia
Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.92147E1
Country: Australia
Handing out cards and roaming as a group is a fantastic idea. It is what we should be doing anyway. The table is unsuccessful as it is in the middle of nowhere and does not have anything fun to really look at. A large Alien to have a photo with etc whether it be 3d and physical or on a backdrop would be much more attractive. You can't expect bug suits to hang around all day as that is physically too demanding let alone to be shot at with pretend guns. The fans want a pic with the group not just one person. If anyone has card artwork I would like to get some cards made up for our AUCM groups to hand out to recruit as well.

_________________
=<Kitty>=

STRAYA!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:10 pm 
'Nuff said.
User avatar

Location: Cordova TN outside of Memphis
Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Country: United States
Kitty wrote:
Handing out cards and roaming as a group is a fantastic idea. It is what we should be doing anyway. The table is unsuccessful as it is in the middle of nowhere and does not have anything fun to really look at. A large Alien to have a photo with etc whether it be 3d and physical or on a backdrop would be much more attractive. You can't expect bug suits to hang around all day as that is physically too demanding let alone to be shot at with pretend guns. The fans want a pic with the group not just one person. If anyone has card artwork I would like to get some cards made up for our AUCM groups to hand out to recruit as well.



I agree. I just am not in the position right now to do that with the table for this DragonCon as I starting a new job and moving. Plans going forward, and hoping to have at a least one done for Conapalooza in Oct, are an Aliens costume on a mannequin, shooting gallery for charity like the one Andy has, and a photo background. I have already discussed the background with several members and gotten some info on where to get, Bryan Humphrey sent me the link of where he gets his. Once I get more details I will let you know. I know Spat posted on Facebook about wanting to do a Queen for the parade but nobody was interested.

Thanks!

Greg

_________________
CPL A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Newell, Greg A
Gman
Tennessee - USA
UKCM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Dragoncon Table Sign up
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:34 pm 
'Nuff said.
User avatar

Location: Cordova TN outside of Memphis
Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Country: United States
hunterkiller86 wrote:
since we have gotten off topic, i feel i need to put in my two cents.

I've only been part of this group since 2010. i got my armor and stuff and started trooping around Chicago since i could not afford the trip to dragon-con or any other major con. The group of members i assembled in those 4 years around Chicago, we've always used the name Aliens Legacy vs strictly Colonial Marines. And our reasoning for it was we welcome all members of the Alien fandom, not just of the second movie. You want to show up in a nostromo costume, we welcome it. We never want to have someone show up and feel they are not part of the group because they do not own a set of colonial marine armor. The Aliens Legacy is about the Alien Universe, movies, comics, or video games. All fans are welcome.

since 2014 when i attended my first dragoncon, i've noticed participation waning. At first, i thought it was because people found other costume groups and commitments at Dragoncon. I myself am guilty of that. But the more i looked at it, i realized it was apathy. People have stopped caring about the group. It is not a lack of fandom for movies that are 40 years old, it is simply because we dont care about the group. Some of us that apathy formed because we feel we are left out because we don't have a marine costume, some of us it is because we formed clicks within the group. The thing that has been tearing our group apart has been apathy. The fandom is strong, places like Weyland-yutani bulletin prove that.

Now, Dom does make a good point about the table. We are placed in an area where we didn't get as much foot traffic as maybe the Marriott back in the day. The problem with that is not us, it is Dragoncon itself. Dragoncon has doubled, if not tripled in size in the last 10 years. Maybe a static table is the old way of recruiting and maybe we need something as simple as getting ten of us, in all forms of costumes, walking around and talking with people. I know it would be very beneficial to us if we ran a proper photo shoot that is open to anyone, not just members. But I still think a table is a good way to direct people to us. Yes it may only snag us a member or two, but it is still better than none. People message the facebook site asking how to meet us and a table is a good way to direct them too us. If they join up or not, that is on them.

Ultimately, I love this group. This was the first costume club i joined when i got into costuming, so it will always be special to me. There are several members who i've noticed over the past year who still love this group too.

As far as the topic at hand, all i ask is an hour of your weekend. I will not force you to come to the table. All I ask is an hour of your time to show you still care about the group.

^^THIS!!!^^

_________________
CPL A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Newell, Greg A
Gman
Tennessee - USA
UKCM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:17 pm 
User avatar

Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
Country: United States
Never been to D*Con, but I have attended multiple local cons a year for going on 20 years.

My experience has been that hallway contacts are more effective than fan tables.

I carry USCM postcards and flyers with me at every fan event I go to (not just cons, but con socials and planning meetings) and do my best to recruit others.

_________________
Image

USCM Expeditionary Force - Minnesota Region:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/224001081462511/

Sci-Firepower Prop Collection:
https://www.facebook.com/scifirepower/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:26 pm 
User avatar

Country: United States
random thought. what if there was a group buy for an alien statue/costume or power loader ect. with massive corridor backdrop, moving lights. I was a stagehand for many years. could definitly contrubute to the design and production. Make it a place that people would tell eachother about like " dude you gotta go back there, theres a fuckin aliens table" .moving lights, smoke machine, a raffle for necca figures ect. maybe a spotlight on different prop builders and examples of their work? hopefully this is the right forum for this.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Country: United States
seven wrote:
random thought. what if there was a group buy for an alien statue/costume or power loader ect. with massive corridor backdrop, moving lights. I was a stagehand for many years. could definitly contrubute to the design and production. Make it a place that people would tell eachother about like " dude you gotta go back there, theres a fuckin aliens table" .moving lights, smoke machine, a raffle for necca figures ect. maybe a spotlight on different prop builders and examples of their work? hopefully this is the right forum for this.


The roaming group deal actually is better. I got better interest just wheeling around my face hugger (Cuddles) on an RC car around the convention floor for 3 days. The table helps, but we need more of a group presence at each convention.

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:00 pm 
Duke Bronson
User avatar

Country: Canada
The title of this "topic" is completely disingenuous. It's not about "USCM improvements", it's about how useless it is about having a fan table at the Hilton. The location is shit, it serves us no purpose, our exposure there give our fandom no advancement, and the effort is lost. Emma chimed in about how I'm bitching, but I've already suggested that we should go as a team with our banner to the Marriott and hang out near the pool area (can't remember the name of the damn place, the Marquis level?) at the back. That kind of exposure will do 100 times more for our fandom than collecting mold at the Hilton. Meanwhile Paul keeps arguing with me about keeping the table. The table at the Hilton is a waste of our time and effort. It does nothing for us. People skim buy, they don't care, we gain no attention, we get no new members. Don't any of you see this? At least if we went as a group, we could get more attention and advance this fandom, and reinvigorate it. Isn't this what we want? It's become stagnant and boring, and this is how I see the Hilton table. I go there, and I want to tear my fucking eyes out. At least at the Marriott, we had attention, we engaged with people, we couldn't keep card on our table, photos were being taken, and it was great. If you guys want to settle for mediocrity, it's going to die. And all we'll be left with is "I told you so".

1 hour together as a team in costume with out banner at the Marriott during prime-time will do more for our group than 24 at the Hilton table, I guarantee you. I'm game. Are you?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 pm 
Expendable
User avatar

Location: chicagoland
Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
Country: United States
SGM Baldwin wrote:
The title of this "topic" is completely disingenuous. It's not about "USCM improvements", it's about how useless it is about having a fan table at the Hilton. The location is shit, it serves us no purpose, our exposure there give our fandom no advancement, and the effort is lost. Emma chimed in about how I'm bitching, but I've already suggested that we should go as a team with our banner to the Marriott and hang out near the pool area (can't remember the name of the damn place, the Marquis level?) at the back. That kind of exposure will do 100 times more for our fandom than collecting mold at the Hilton. Meanwhile Paul keeps arguing with me about keeping the table. The table at the Hilton is a waste of our time and effort. It does nothing for us. People skim buy, they don't care, we gain no attention, we get no new members. Don't any of you see this? At least if we went as a group, we could get more attention and advance this fandom, and reinvigorate it. Isn't this what we want? It's become stagnant and boring, and this is how I see the Hilton table. I go there, and I want to tear my fucking eyes out. At least at the Marriott, we had attention, we engaged with people, we couldn't keep card on our table, photos were being taken, and it was great. If you guys want to settle for mediocrity, it's going to die. And all we'll be left with is "I told you so".

1 hour together as a team in costume with out banner at the Marriott during prime-time will do more for our group than 24 at the Hilton table, I guarantee you. I'm game. Are you?

One raiding party each day sound good?

_________________
PFC Mike Rizzuto MVM
USS Blackhawk
3rd Batt 12th Regt


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:38 am 
Dropbear
User avatar

Location: Australia
Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.92147E1
Country: Australia
Raiding party would be amazing!

_________________
=<Kitty>=

STRAYA!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:12 am 
Wild Brew
User avatar

Location: PNW
Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.72140G1
Country: United States
Well I’d be for ditching the table for DC 2019 then. Have a designated raiding party rally point and go from there.

_________________
SSGT "Giggles" W.A.L.
SN A11/TQ2.0.72140G1
USS Columbia, Heavy Weapons Section
"If you are going to die, die with a real weapon. Not a little sissy gun like that. "
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:28 pm 
Expendable
User avatar

Location: chicagoland
Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
Country: United States
NeedanID wrote:
Well I’d be for ditching the table for DC 2019 then. Have a designated raiding party rally point and go from there.

Sounds reasonable

_________________
PFC Mike Rizzuto MVM
USS Blackhawk
3rd Batt 12th Regt


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:03 pm 
Expendable
User avatar

Location: chicagoland
Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
Country: United States
Alright, lets give this a whirl. When and where shall we meet. should we do one day, or all 3 days?

_________________
PFC Mike Rizzuto MVM
USS Blackhawk
3rd Batt 12th Regt


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:45 pm 
Wild Brew
User avatar

Location: PNW
Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.72140G1
Country: United States
I don’t know. Maybe as the app updates over the next few days we can figure out a good time in the afternoons? My budget doesn’t allow for shipping of my flamer or smart gun this year. Best I can do is hang out in my Charlie’s as a “recruiter”, handing out cards etc.

_________________
SSGT "Giggles" W.A.L.
SN A11/TQ2.0.72140G1
USS Columbia, Heavy Weapons Section
"If you are going to die, die with a real weapon. Not a little sissy gun like that. "
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:35 pm 
Mad Cat
User avatar

Location: Active duty: USS Catalpa
Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Country: United States
I know I'm a bit late to this topic, but may I ask, why did the location of the table get changed? From what I understand, DragonCon made a point of asking the AL group to lead the parade for many years now, why would they do that but give the AL a new table location that sucks?

_________________
"Awww, someone tell me that's a boot!

It's a boot!"

III drops


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:13 pm 
Expendable
User avatar

Location: chicagoland
Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
Country: United States
Dropshipbob wrote:
I know I'm a bit late to this topic, but may I ask, why did the location of the table get changed? From what I understand, DragonCon made a point of asking the AL group to lead the parade for many years now, why would they do that but give the AL a new table location that sucks?

i asked Dcon and they said at the last minute their plan to put the fan tables back in the Hyatt fell through. Unsure what will happen next year.

_________________
PFC Mike Rizzuto MVM
USS Blackhawk
3rd Batt 12th Regt


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:57 am 
User avatar

Country: Canada
I didn't go to D-Con and I'm not a fully costumed member of AL yet. I've done lots of comicons and lots of booths with the 501st and Mercs though as well as a general cosplay group in my area. I offer no criticism because I didn't see the booth, the location, or how things went. I'm just going to offer up a couple of things that have worked well for the other groups.

Support a charity - see if some local community group would be alright with you having a donation bin at your table. Sometimes you can get a better location by being a group supporting a charity. Sometimes that changes the cost of having a booth too.

Be interactive - "arm wrestle a marine (please donate to Save the Puppies)" or a backdrop and a character or two to take a selfie with (please donate to Save the Puppies) are appealing and memorable, don't limit that to marines because different people like different things in the movies, it helps to put a visible schedule up so that if someone really wants a picture with an alien but isn't interested in Ripley and marine they will know when to come back

Have a schedule - for who gets to be in the photo booth in costume and who gets to sit the table and when you DON'T have to so that you don't have one guy stuck there the whole time, hating his life choices. If you only have a couple of people then make an arrangement for when you do and don't have to be there. It's a comicon, it's supposed to be fun too.

Rewards - someone bring cookies. It doesn't have to be crazy and awesome, but a prize-thing that says "I survived Comicon 01/01" is nice. Doing a run of trading cards with everyone's best character photo is also a great encouragement that has no restriction to being only marines, anyone can be on a trading card. Challenge coins are fun too. We do a lot of those. (example included)

Anyways, these are some thoughts. I really want this group to succeed.

coins.jpg
coins.jpg [ 286.63 KiB | Viewed 4408 times ]

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:48 pm 
'Nuff said.
User avatar

Location: Cordova TN outside of Memphis
Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Country: United States
Jinx wrote:
I didn't go to D-Con and I'm not a fully costumed member of AL yet. I've done lots of comicons and lots of booths with the 501st and Mercs though as well as a general cosplay group in my area. I offer no criticism because I didn't see the booth, the location, or how things went. I'm just going to offer up a couple of things that have worked well for the other groups.
Anyways, these are some thoughts. I really want this group to succeed.


Hi Jinx. Look forward to meeting. Actually we do most of these things at the fan tables around the world. DragonCon is a different animal and does not always fit into regular cons. It is not the end all of this group and we actually do many cons around the world and to quote several members here organizing things at DragonCon is like herding cats. I will go thru some of your points and other members can chime in if I missed anything.

Quote:
Support a charity - see if some local community group would be alright with you having a donation bin at your table. Sometimes you can get a better location by being a group supporting a charity. Sometimes that changes the cost of having a booth too.

This is something that goes on in other countries and have wanted to do at the fan tables here. I have personally seen the UKCM fan table and it is great. I have also been involved with the foam dart shooting booth they have, shout out to Mr. Spencer, They have several things I will be bringing to cons in my area. I have been doing the Warrior Dash for St Judes for several years raising money. Once I get settled in my new home here in Alabama, will be doing the same although they do not have one scheduled for Alabama yet so maybe the one in Pulaski TN in May. Would love to do something like the booth at DragonCon but unfortunately the size we are giving prevents that. Another thing at DragonCon is responsibility of the donated money.

Quote:
Be interactive - "arm wrestle a marine (please donate to Save the Puppies)" or a backdrop and a character or two to take a selfie with (please donate to Save the Puppies) are appealing and memorable, don't limit that to marines because different people like different things in the movies, it helps to put a visible schedule up so that if someone really wants a picture with an alien but isn't interested in Ripley and marine they will know when to come back

This does happen at cons. As for the charities, see above. As for displays I would point you to great examples shown by our German branch. They have great displays and seem to be able to get the space at cons. Several do backdrops for photos and I am getting one made for the fan table for cons I can attend, shout out to Frank and Bryan for helping source. My long term plan is to get an Alien suit on a mannequin for the fan table for cons I can attend. We will get to fan table scheduling next.

Quote:
Have a schedule - for who gets to be in the photo booth in costume and who gets to sit the table and when you DON'T have to so that you don't have one guy stuck there the whole time, hating his life choices. If you only have a couple of people then make an arrangement for when you do and don't have to be there. It's a comicon, it's supposed to be fun too.

This is what we do for DragonCon for as long as I remember. A thread is posted every year usually several months before the event. Unfortunately we do not get the volunteers to do so in the past couple years. Sad truth is many members complain about the table but do not sign up to work it. This has led to the same members working every year. Hunterkiller86, Mike, can give more info on the DragonCon rules as he works with them. As for other cons, whoever shows up helps. I have no problem staying at the table the entire time and done so at past cons.

Quote:
Rewards - someone bring cookies. It doesn't have to be crazy and awesome, but a prize-thing that says "I survived Comicon 01/01" is nice. Doing a run of trading cards with everyone's best character photo is also a great encouragement that has no restriction to being only marines, anyone can be on a trading card. Challenge coins are fun too. We do a lot of those. (example included)

I agree rewards are great. In the past before the parade, we use to do cornbread and members like Stacy bake goods, she likes to use alcohol! There has never been a restriction to just marine characters so I do not know where this has come from. I have seen this like you in the posts above and just scratch my head. We have offered 4 challenge coins in the past. Unfortunately they are not cheap to make and we have had to charge for them, at cost. I have the Leia one in your pic and love it. There has been talk of the cards and other items but they have never come to be.

Jinx thank you very much for your suggestions and I hope we can use some. Like I stated above, many we do at other fan tables and cons. I hope to get the backdrop for photos ordered and at the fan table by Conapalooza in Oct. If you have any questions ask. I am sure I left plenty out as it is early on a Saturday here.

Thanks!

Greg

_________________
CPL A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Newell, Greg A
Gman
Tennessee - USA
UKCM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:09 pm 
User avatar

Country: Canada
Glad to hear it! Like I said, I haven't had the opportunity to see an AL booth. I'm glad most of what I thought of has already been incorporated because for me, those things have really made booths work in other groups. Sadly I live in Saskatchewan so the only other Aliens nut out here is Moosh. We live HOURS away from each other...but we're conspiring to meet in about a week at SEE.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:39 pm 
'Nuff said.
User avatar

Location: Cordova TN outside of Memphis
Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Country: United States
I have yet to meet Melissa but we talk here and on Facebook. Look forward to seeing you around.

Thanks!

Greg

_________________
CPL A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Newell, Greg A
Gman
Tennessee - USA
UKCM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:30 pm 
Mobile Mayhem
User avatar

Location: Rapid View, Saskatchewan
Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Country: Canada
I'll never forget Jinx messaging me here and saying basically "Howdy neighbour" and me flipping out despite living nearly 10 hours apart hahaha. We met once in 2014 for less than 5 minutes at Saskatoon Expo, but this time we're hoping for a longer hang out.

On topic, I rarely visit the USCM subforum, but I suppose I should make it a habit as there's threads like this which pertain to the group as a whole. Jinx and I were discussing this thread last night and like most things, we agreed on what Jinx posted.

I think catering to all types of fans of any aspect of the Alien, Predator and AvP worlds is what's needed. I absolutely love the idea of civilian awards, ranks. Sure, the Colonial Marines captured my heart but there's so much these universes have to offer that we can explore. Scientists, blue collar colonists, space truckers, space pirates, WY commandos, androids, corporates, USM/UPP, explorers, Aliens, Predators... Engineers even. Not to mention just regular people who may not be interested in costumes, but love collecting. We are so much more.

As for tables - I've talked to Jinx and stated that I'd like to do a table sometime here in SK, but I'd wait until we can all decide on a direction to travel as a group. Also, I hope to show off some props for people to play with from each film. We discussed things that are interactive and cheeky such as "free hugs" from a facehugger, and a xenomorph "kissing booth" for visitors to get photos. (think Ripley in A3 with the runner kissing her cheek) I love the suggestion on a schedule of characters to have photos with. The GERCM is leading the way with their excellent backdrops and set dressings. I wholeheartedly love the charity suggestion.

This group is amazing, I've had the privilege to grow so much into the person I am now because of you all, and I'm thrilled to call you all friends.

_________________
Cpl. Melissa L. Klassen, ALG
AL Colonial Admin. - Executive Officer (XO) -- 2020-2021
UACM (Canada) - Commanding Officer (CO) -- 2020-2021


Read the Aliens Legacy Charter for Rules & Regulations here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:05 am 
User avatar

Country: United States
Any pictures or updates on how the con went? Wish I could have made it but planning on next year.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:05 pm 
reload
User avatar

Location: Hamburg
Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Country: Germany
Well said Moosh!
IMHO we can call ourselves lucky to have you on board!
The how to present the AL at a Con or event question is for me to dependent on the Con and the individual group. Sometimes some things work and elsewhere they don’t.

Having a table _and_ do a walk/sweep/raid/… clearly increases presence.
Second that there is a whole EU universe waiting for exploration.
Which is also helping new joiners to quickly and inexpensive be part of the costume experience.

>We are so much more.
Period.

>show off some props for people to play with from each film
Especial combined with a photo area this works very well.
At the last Cons people loved wearing the facehugger Halloween mask for selfies. That can be easily done.

>xenomorph "kissing booth"
That’s aweseome.

>I wholeheartedly love the charity suggestion.
Affirmative!

There are lot of options to pick from if you look at certain Ghostbusters sets, the interactive sets at Dublin Comic Con. And sometimes even two Marines with PR do the trick.
I hope all local groups find what is best for them.

_________________
Sgt. Frank Peters 'reload' Smartgun Operator
A03/TQ3.0.12136E1 "It will be no picknick!"
AL Colonial Admin. - Sergeant at Arms (SgtA) -- 2020-2021
GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 am 
Reaper

Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Instead of arguing let's try to find a way to fix the problems.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 am 
User avatar

Location: Los Angeles, CA
Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.42141E1
Country: United States
I'm all about the extended universe. I prefer expanding on the world James Cameron shared with us. The 31st Monarchs are only 3 years old, and are currently 16 members strong. We haven't even set up our first event booth yet. We've been in the process of planning and organizing it for WonderCon 2019. The point is, The growing members of each battalion/group SHOULD be a tell tell sign of the strength of this overall forum if all of the members within the groups are members on this forum as well.

As far as recruitment methods half, if not, most of our members have only just joined this past year. I've personally promoted the Monarchs via simply patrolling at events, and have personally found that to be VERY affective.

As far as our event booth, we're going the route of working with a charity at our booth with a planned Hicks style nerf shotgun range for shooting xenos, or eggs. Our booth will have a 6ft x 6ft pull down map of our territory that charts the general residence of our members to help encourage new potential members to join us regardless of where they live within our state, and it'll further help guide them toward the nearest residing member for if, and when, they may need help with any alien-related info, or what-not. Our members help each other because living in such an expensive state can be quite an obsticle in itself.

I'm taking all of what I've read on here into consideration as well, and as always, I'm learning from it.

As far as marine biasness, our focus has never been solely on marines. After all, this forum is titled The ALIENS Legacy Forum right? My own girlfriend joined this forum, as well as our California group, after she and I spent time watching the entire saga, bonus footage, as well as youtube Weyland yutani history. She was inspired to become our group's high clearance level WY scientist rep, and has, so far, donned her persona at 4 or more different events out here. On occasion, she receives compliments for her relatively unique costume that includes a luminated stasis tube containing a facehugger.

As far as each of us pulling our weight and doing our part to keep this forum from becoming stagnent, I personally take every opportunity to post questions about any and all questions, inquiries, and theories that enter my mind and seem unanswered. I also stay actively engaged on this forum.

I'm only ever momentarily logged off due to occasional auto log offs. I'm hoping that our efforts and activities out here on the West coast prove to help bring new energy into this forum, and I hope to join the rest of you some day at a future D'Con.

Whether or not we'll have ourselves set up at San Diego Comic Con is hard to say as of yet, but I'd personally settle for an outdoor event booth if possible, and if we have to. It seems to me that an event booth ALWAYS makes for a great foundation at an event as a source of headquarters, if nothing else, but patrols are where the demo is. I may very well be proven wrong once our booth is up and running though.

_________________
Corporal
William "Deadfly" Ridder
A08/TQ2.0.42141E1
U.S.S. Fremont
9th Battalion 31st Regiment
USCM Monarchs



"Is this gonna be a stand up fight sir or another bug hunt?"


Last edited by WILLIAM D. RIDDER on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:33 pm 
'Nuff said.
User avatar

Location: Cordova TN outside of Memphis
Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Country: United States
Great news! No idea where this male marine/character only idea is coming from. You just have to look at the pics from all the different cons to see this is not the case. I have posted in the other thread about how I do fan tables at cons but again that is just me. This community is about helping out so I am sure that others will jump in. If you guys have any questions or need help let me know.

Thanks!

Greg

_________________
CPL A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Newell, Greg A
Gman
Tennessee - USA
UKCM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: