The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Re: USCM improvements
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:09 pm 

Glad to hear it! Like I said, I haven't had the opportunity to see an AL booth. I'm glad most of what I thought of has already been incorporated because for me, those things have really made booths work in other groups. Sadly I live in Saskatchewan so the only other Aliens nut out here is Moosh. We live HOURS away from each other...but we're conspiring to meet in about a week at SEE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:39 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
I have yet to meet Melissa but we talk here and on Facebook. Look forward to seeing you around.

Thanks!

Greg

Newell, Greg A
Gman
Alabama - USA
Still using phrasing.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.
http://facebook.com/666gman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:30 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
I'll never forget Jinx messaging me here and saying basically "Howdy neighbour" and me flipping out despite living nearly 10 hours apart hahaha. We met once in 2014 for less than 5 minutes at Saskatoon Expo, but this time we're hoping for a longer hang out.

On topic, I rarely visit the USCM subforum, but I suppose I should make it a habit as there's threads like this which pertain to the group as a whole. Jinx and I were discussing this thread last night and like most things, we agreed on what Jinx posted.

I think catering to all types of fans of any aspect of the Alien, Predator and AvP worlds is what's needed. I absolutely love the idea of civilian awards, ranks. Sure, the Colonial Marines captured my heart but there's so much these universes have to offer that we can explore. Scientists, blue collar colonists, space truckers, space pirates, WY commandos, androids, corporates, USM/UPP, explorers, Aliens, Predators... Engineers even. Not to mention just regular people who may not be interested in costumes, but love collecting. We are so much more.

As for tables - I've talked to Jinx and stated that I'd like to do a table sometime here in SK, but I'd wait until we can all decide on a direction to travel as a group. Also, I hope to show off some props for people to play with from each film. We discussed things that are interactive and cheeky such as "free hugs" from a facehugger, and a xenomorph "kissing booth" for visitors to get photos. (think Ripley in A3 with the runner kissing her cheek) I love the suggestion on a schedule of characters to have photos with. The GERCM is leading the way with their excellent backdrops and set dressings. I wholeheartedly love the charity suggestion.

This group is amazing, I've had the privilege to grow so much into the person I am now because of you all, and I'm thrilled to call you all friends.

Ask about your Armour stencils/Nostromo stencils - Worldwide shipping! Send me a Private Message

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:05 am 

Any pictures or updates on how the con went? Wish I could have made it but planning on next year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:05 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Well said Moosh!
IMHO we can call ourselves lucky to have you on board!
The how to present the AL at a Con or event question is for me to dependent on the Con and the individual group. Sometimes some things work and elsewhere they don’t.

Having a table _and_ do a walk/sweep/raid/… clearly increases presence.
Second that there is a whole EU universe waiting for exploration.
Which is also helping new joiners to quickly and inexpensive be part of the costume experience.

>We are so much more.
Period.

>show off some props for people to play with from each film
Especial combined with a photo area this works very well.
At the last Cons people loved wearing the facehugger Halloween mask for selfies. That can be easily done.

>xenomorph "kissing booth"
That’s aweseome.

>I wholeheartedly love the charity suggestion.
Affirmative!

There are lot of options to pick from if you look at certain Ghostbusters sets, the interactive sets at Dublin Comic Con. And sometimes even two Marines with PR do the trick.
I hope all local groups find what is best for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 am 

Instead of arguing let's try to find a way to fix the problems.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 am 

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.42141E1
I'm all about the extended universe. I prefer expanding on the world James Cameron shared with us. The 31st Monarchs are only 3 years old, and are currently 16 members strong. We haven't even set up our first event booth yet. We've been in the process of planning and organizing it for WonderCon 2019. The point is, The growing members of each battalion/group SHOULD be a tell tell sign of the strength of this overall forum if all of the members within the groups are members on this forum as well.

As far as recruitment methods half, if not, most of our members have only just joined this past year. I've personally promoted the Monarchs via simply patrolling at events, and have personally found that to be VERY affective.

As far as our event booth, we're going the route of working with a charity at our booth with a planned Hicks style nerf shotgun range for shooting xenos, or eggs. Our booth will have a 6ft x 6ft pull down map of our territory that charts the general residence of our members to help encourage new potential members to join us regardless of where they live within our state, and it'll further help guide them toward the nearest residing member for if, and when, they may need help with any alien-related info, or what-not. Our members help each other because living in such an expensive state can be quite an obsticle in itself.

I'm taking all of what I've read on here into consideration as well, and as always, I'm learning from it.

As far as marine biasness, our focus has never been solely on marines. After all, this forum is titled The ALIENS Legacy Forum right? My own girlfriend joined this forum, as well as our California group, after she and I spent time watching the entire saga, bonus footage, as well as youtube Weyland yutani history. She was inspired to become our group's high clearance level WY scientist rep, and has, so far, donned her persona at 4 or more different events out here. On occasion, she receives compliments for her relatively unique costume that includes a luminated stasis tube containing a facehugger.

As far as each of us pulling our weight and doing our part to keep this forum from becoming stagnent, I personally take every opportunity to post questions about any and all questions, inquiries, and theories that enter my mind and seem unanswered. I also stay actively engaged on this forum.

I'm only ever momentarily logged off due to occasional auto log offs. I'm hoping that our efforts and activities out here on the West coast prove to help bring new energy into this forum, and I hope to join the rest of you some day at a future D'Con.

Whether or not we'll have ourselves set up at San Diego Comic Con is hard to say as of yet, but I'd personally settle for an outdoor event booth if possible, and if we have to. It seems to me that an event booth ALWAYS makes for a great foundation at an event as a source of headquarters, if nothing else, but patrols are where the demo is. I may very well be proven wrong once our booth is up and running though.

U.S.S. Fremont
9th Battalion 31st Regiment
USCM Monarchs

"Is this gonna be a stand up fight sir or another bug hunt?"

Last edited by WILLIAM D. RIDDER on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:33 pm 
'Nuff said.

Great news! No idea where this male marine/character only idea is coming from. You just have to look at the pics from all the different cons to see this is not the case. I have posted in the other thread about how I do fan tables at cons but again that is just me. This community is about helping out so I am sure that others will jump in. If you guys have any questions or need help let me know.

Thanks!

Greg

Newell, Greg A
Gman
Alabama - USA
Still using phrasing.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:39 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Today I thought of some neat "gimmicks" for tables

Food and drink:
- Snack-sized cornbread to take "Try the cornbread, you'll love it!"
- Snack kits dressed as Acheron Colony ration packs. Can have crackers and cheese or something similar
- Aspen Beer on tap (ginger ale in a dispenser)
- Coffee ("it's the only thing good on this ship")

Who likes standing in line at concessions? Nobody. Would be neat to have simple snacks on hand that fit the theme

Ask about your Armour stencils/Nostromo stencils - Worldwide shipping! Send me a Private Message

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:01 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Moosh89 wrote:

Food and drink:
- Snack kits dressed as Acheron Colony ration packs. Can have crackers and cheese or something similar

Who likes standing in line at concessions? Nobody. Would be neat to have simple snacks on hand that fit the theme

Affirmative!
- Cornbread on mess tables
- There a Aliens themed silcon trays for ice cubes, but you can use them for chocolate, bakery, etc.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:05 pm 
'Nuff said.

577_ops wrote:
Moosh89 wrote:

Food and drink:

Affirmative!
- There a Aliens themed silcon trays for ice cubes, but you can use them for chocolate, bakery, etc.

Great ideas in theory but it all depends on the con and the facility in which it is being held. Here in the states we have the FDA and some places/cons will not allow any type of food or drink hand out. Especially if it is not factory sealed. Unfortunately it can be an insurance issue and some have strict rules with the facility. Again check with all places.

Thanks!

Greg

Newell, Greg A
Gman
Alabama - USA
Still using phrasing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:10 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

If you had this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkMwjthn5R8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:32 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

gman666 wrote:
577_ops wrote:

Affirmative!

Great ideas in theory but it all depends on the con and the facility in which it is being held. Here in the states we have the FDA and some places/cons will not allow any type of food or drink hand out. Especially if it is not factory sealed. Unfortunately it can be an insurance issue and some have strict rules with the facility. Again check with all places.

Thanks!

Greg

I've found the white style mess trays on ebay in the past, just need one on a table to hold some cornbread and other snacks

And yep, definitely dependent on the events. At the first expo I went to in Edmonton in 2013 there was a table giving out homemade blue "rock candy" made and packaged to look like the blue meth from Breaking Bad. In Saskatoon this year I'm sure there were tables giving out samples of goods they made too. Definitely check and follow your local regulations.

Noble wrote:

Frozen Iced tea cubes! :delta: