The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Standard activities for drop threads
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:23 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
I am trying to figure out what hours and activities you typically have for the dragon con so it can be mirrored at the other cons so that no matter which convention you go to the experience is relatively similar.

As far as I have observed the following activities are standard:
A convention table that is staffed
A panel for Q&A
A dinner
A parade of some sort
A sweep
A meet and Greet at a local restaurant or bar that runs all day and night

Are any other typical activities missing?

Post subject: Re: Standard activities for drop threads
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:08 pm 

Also what handouts if any are available at a convention table?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:50 am 

I can only speak to DC since its the only parade Im aware of (Other than Star Wars Weekends at Disney), however no other convention I have attended anywhere other than DC has one.

I have pulled many hours of table duty, and it does two things: gets people excited for what you do, and answers a lot of questions, often about the franchise, and it gives you a chair. DC is lacking chairs especially in the Marriott.

I enjoy doing the Meet the [insert your club name] panels, they are often well attended and you see a somwehat different group of people from those who come by the table.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:36 am 

David who runs the things has kind of said he wants to compete with dragon con. I hope they get one next year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:51 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Do not want to burst anyone's bubble but DragonCon is its own animal. It is good to have goals to reach but unless Knoxville is going to have multiple Aliens guests every year, the number of members attending is not going to be as high as this year. The plan going forward is to have a presence at Knoxville events but to be realistic it will never be as high as DragonCon. As for the fan table it does not have to be staffed during all con hours like DragonCon. I have had discussions with them and as long as it is neat we are free leave it unattended.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:49 am 

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.42141E1
We've been on the verge of experiencing quite a boom in our battalion's numbers, and I've found the simplest way to promote our community is via gearing up for as many events a year as possible. We have about 12 cosplay type events a year within California. With the cost of living out here as high as it is, we obviously can't afford to attend them all, so so far I've only been able to attend three of them per year thus far, aside from Halloween and/or costume house parties. During the past years, it was quite a lonely experience being the only Colonial Marine to be found at these events, but apparently, the few events I HAVE attended in gear, have left an impression on folks out here. I encountered a couple guys again this year, I met at last year's WonderCon, and one of them has recently joined our ranks. His friend is soon to follow, as well as others. We've all been communicating much with each other lately. We plan to eventually organize our own westcoast DragonCon equivalency out here at some point at one of California's existing events.

U.S.S. Fremont
9th Battalion 31st Regiment
USCM Monarchs

"Is this gonna be a stand up fight sir or another bug hunt?"