The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Re: 2017 Dragoncon Fan Table discussion
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:25 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
Here's another thought on the potential display. Should we decide to do this (I think it's a fantastic idea!) as has been brought up, Who is going to store it? Probably a local...would be best -

But another point - HELP IN MOVING IT!

A few years ago, Tony Leach made a backdrop display of a trapped colonist. IT was pretty cool and well received. However, it was bulky and awkward to transport - in the elevator, down the hall, in the lobby, on the sidewalk to eventually reach it's fan table destination.

The thing is, Tony had no help with moving it, did it solo. It was frustrating to say the least.

And he asked a Colonial Marine for help moving it (who shall remain nameless) and instead of help,
got a loud, incredulous reply of: "WHAT?! I'M ON HOLIDAY / VACATION"

And that was the final straw for Tony. After years of helping the Colonial Marines, website work, hours and hours at the fan table, In the old days, to get a Fan Table, one had to show up at 7am to claim your spot or it was gone! I remember going there with Tony, I remember him going ahead and holding tables for our dinner at the Hard Rock and waiting and waiting and waiting for everyone to arrive... He'd had enough. He walked away from the Corps. Golden Wings Award Recipient and walked away because he was fed up with no help.

Too often, all too often, there is but a few who "arrange" DragonCon for the many. It gets frustrating to have demands thrust upon one, yet those who demand, often will not help.

We're all on vacation. None get a paycheck for doing this for everyone's enjoyment.

This has been an ongoing topic for years. Is it possible to get more to contribute to the Colonial Marines, whether it's physical help or anything.

If we can increase our "helping participation", there's really no limit to what we can accomplish. The 501st are successful because they always have people willing to share the load.

The Colonial Marines have the few doing the work for the many. Period.

Offer to Help. It'll be MUCH Appreciated.

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

Post subject: Re: 2017 Dragoncon Fan Table discussion
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:11 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
i think a photoshoot area would be easier to move than something more perminate in the short term. obviously we would have to have this stored at a members house in the GA area, which i would be willing to help move / pitch in some money for building and housing costs when we are not at con. if all else fails, i still have Ripsticks egg he brought to D*C all those years ago and could haul that down and leave it down in GA with a member in the atlanta area

Chicago Battalion