The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

What night/time would you like to have the Marine Meal @ DC15?
Friday 7:30 pm 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Friday 8:00 pm 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Saturday 7:30 pm 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Saturday 8:00 pm 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
Sunday 7:30 pm 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Sunday 8:00 pm 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Re: DISCUSSION/POLL FOR DRAGON CON 2015 MARINE MEAL DAY/TIME
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:32 pm 
Duke Bronson

Apparently, Rex, there was a discussion before this poll was posted. You just weren't consulted.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:38 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
MSgt Baldwin wrote:
Apparently, Rex, there was a discussion before this poll was posted. You just weren't consulted.

Ah-HA!! I guess you're right Dom, it was evidently a "secret discussion".

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:48 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
Greg said RIGHT AT THE START:

gman666 wrote:
There have been requests that we have the meal on a different day/time due to conflicting schedules on Saturday night.
Greg

And in my very first post, I said:

Scapey wrote:
For the record, I myself mentioned to a few people that I would maybe like to see it moved - And was told in no uncertain terms that "You are still a Dragoncon newbie. the meal always has been Saturday nights, and always will be. Don't even start a discussion about moving it."
I find such a response pretty insulting, but chose to let it go, because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of following it up.

Nothing secret about it.
So no need for sarcasm.

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:59 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Also, I'm pretty sure I posted a few minutes ago saying that if I was going to single anyone out, I WOULD have named them.
I sincerely hope that it's not showing up because Chrome glitched, or something.

Either way, the gist of that reply was that I do apologise if you're offended that I mentioned the proposal to delete this poll, but I find such censorship very distasteful - Greg's poll was inevitable... Any discussion thread would have had one added to it anyway after a few rounds back and forth ( At least, if we're as fair-minded as we like to think we are, it would have! ).
The very act of posting the poll also created a discussion thread, which immediately derailed into complaints that the idea was even being mooted. Granted, Greg may not have had authority to say that "We'll go with the majority" - But I'd like to think that we would have anyway.

As it stands, this thread, as well as the other things that have been bothering me, have swung my decision.

I'm not going to be attending the Marine Meal in 2015.
I'll think about 2016 closer to the time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:34 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
This is all I am going to say. I am done with everything AL related at Dragon Con except the parade. Last couple of years it has been mentioned that time/day of the dinner my not be optimal for all. It was brought up again this Dragon Con but it was too close to the event to even consider discussing. Sorry if you did not hear. Some things mentioned are the fact Saturday is so full, people do not arrive till Saturday and want to wind down and see people/things, other events/shows are happening at the same time, and others. This is a large group and not one person knows everything. If you reread my post I do not state it has to change or that all have to attend. It is a big group and lot of things go on at Dragon Con. AGAIN THE TIME/DAY IS NOT OPTIMAL FOR ALL. The purpose of this thread was to discuss and see what time everyone would prefer. That was the reason for the options. Once I was informed about the table I removed the 6:00 option and changed 7 to 7:30. Sorry but a poll seemed like the best way to tally the numbers. Here I thought we could be all adults. Again me using "we" as in the community.

I have been a member of the community since 2008. I know that is new compared to the originals on here. In that time I have never seen a rule saying that certain people must be informed before a poll or topic is posted. If that is the case take the poll option down. The results are not set in stone. I do not see the reason for all the outrage/PMs/texts going around. The one thing I love about this community is that there is not a dictatorship here. We help each other but this thread has shown a very ugly side. In no way was this thread started to bring down the meal, any traditions that have been started, or start stuff with different factions. It was to give those with questions a voice. With it immediately being disregarded it makes it look like those opinions do not matter. I have no problem with the time, although my schedule revolves directly around the AL. Sure I wish it was earlier, which I voted for above, and some years on a different day but I schedule around it. Have I missed out on things? Yes but it is because I hold the meal over them. The purpose of the meal, to me, is for me to see all my friends from all over and enjoy their company.

Again I am sorry for all the mess this has caused. It was not the intention. I am taking time off from the AL for now. I am going to Dragon Con next year and head to the UK AE in 3 weeks. I look forward to seeing everyone. If any one needs to reach me I am on Facebook. Again I am done with this topic so please do not contact me on it as I feel it is very tainted. Also keep my name out of it. My feeling have been posted above. If anything needs to be changed regarding the poll, the mods have the power to do so.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:42 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
As I stated I would prefer it stays as it is but I will go with the majority after all the majority does have the authority as it will be a very lonely table on the Saturday if the majority do otherwise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:34 am 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
I suppose i'm just curious how many people mentioned that the time wasn't optimal, and to whom did they mention it to?

I think the majority world be fine moving it IF a decision could be met. And if it conflicts with other events, well then that's a decision the individual must make for themselves.

A lot of work has been done to find a location where the dinner can work for a group our size. Likewise with timing. If 60 people want to attend the dinner, and only 20 can do so at the regular time, then perhaps something needs to be changed. But if 10 people out of that same 60 are the ones that are having issues, then perhaps changing the date/time isn't the way to go for the group.

I'm just using an extreme example and not singling anyone in particular out. I think where Rex and Dom are coming from is the idea that "until now" there's not been a real vocal objection to the dinner date/time. Scifihero.net changed the day of their dinner to Friday because it conflicts with the AL dinner on Saturday and we have members from both forums on here.

If there's a problem, let's try discussing it like adults and not throwing a fit because "we" aren't getting our collective way. That doesn't help anyone and obviously pisses people off.

We don't need the drama here. We've had enough of it in the last few years with MAA and now the other BDU issues.

To paraphrase Spat with regard to the former BDU issues...

"It's a f'ing costume."

And this situation...

"It's a f'ing dinner party."

In the end, we're there to eat and see friends we
haven't seen in a year. It's not so important
that we need to create drama over it.

Seriously.

If you want to eat at a earlier time/later time/different date,
put your anonymous vote in and make your opinion known.

"I" prefer we keep it the same. If others can't do it at the traditional date or time, then make your vote known. Simple process really.

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:17 am 
"Have you met me?"

Service Number: A03/TQ0.0.62144E1
I vote you guys move it to Leander, TX, so I can go. I'm gonna flounce out if you don't. :mrgreen:

UKCM FOREIGN LEGION:
"DEVIANT DRAGOONS"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:20 am 
Duke Bronson

I've mentioned to Greg in private that he should delete the "time" options on this poll because I think we may be able to start the dinner an hour earlier next year... it's still in discussion amongst the powers-that-be. I am however curious to know what the vox populi will say; but Friday is, IMHO, an absolutely bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:30 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Paul - I mentioned to you once or twice about the meal, and you shot me down.
I've not said a word about it since the last time you vehemently did so - Which was the "You're still a DCon noob, don't even bring it up!" incident.
I was gonna leave it at that - Until Greg posted this thread.
Clearly, other people also feel that the Saturday isn't the best time for the meal, and have said so to him, hence the poll.

Now, this thread is being made to look like it's ME that's kicking off about the time, and I'm in a tiny minority.
For a start, I just said, I ain't going in 2015. I don't need the drama. Secondly - The entire point of Greg posting this is, I would assume, to find out what the MAJORITY want to do. We're on the same page there, in that he did the right thing by asking. That being the case, how is it OK to have a go at me for having previously stated a preference to consider moving the meal? Is everyone who votes for anything other than Saturday at 8 going to get the same treatment?

If 5-2.5% of 40-60 people vote to change - Then there'll be no change, because they've just been outvoted!

But as I say, I'm not going, so do what y'all wanna do. I don't want to get into any further arguments over this, and I'm certainly not shouldering any blame for starting it - I was told not to, and I didn't.
I merely backed Greg when he copped shit for doing so, and I stand by that.
He didn't deserve the grief he got over this, at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:39 am 

Chaps are we really going to fall out over where and when we stuff our faces? Think about it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:45 am 
Duke Bronson

No, Kris. Ultimately, we won't. But I think we can clearly see how traditions are dearly held by some of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:52 am 

oh Irony me being peacemaker when its normally me causing the disagreements :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:59 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Well, I dropped it after what you said to me last time.
I'd said in the Facebook convo that I'd like to find out what the majority would like to do, and might ask on the forum... But you told me not to in no uncertain terms, all but told me that my opinion doesn't matter and wouldn't be listened to if I stated it.

Like I already said, can't be fucked with the grief, so I considered the matter dropped.

Again, with the making it look like I want to move the meal purely because it doesn't suit ME.
I'll bite my tongue here, and say one more time - THAT IS NOT THE CASE.

I will, and always would, abide with the wishes of the majority.

But, as I say, I'm done. I'm not going. We're achieving nothing by continuing this conversation.
See how the poll goes, see what others have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:20 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Well, thanks for the thought - But A: Greg copped both barrels for it, and B: There's now other people who no doubt feel daft, because they've voted in a poll that you're now saying was created not to find out what people wanted, but to get people who wanted to make changes to keep their mouths shut.
I know I feel just a touch condescended in that respect...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:43 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.32122E1
"I've only attended Dragon Con three times and have always planned my Saturdays around all of the Colonial Marines events scheduled on that day. The dinner has been one of the events I've looked forward to most. It's given me a chance to meet new people and actually sit and talk with them over a nice meal, unlike some of the other Colonial Marine events. Like the parade and the colony sweeps on Saturday, the dinner seems to be part of the Colonial Marines tradition. For what it's worth, I'd just add this, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 'Nuff said."

Note: The above was posted in response to a discussion on FB. Now, having read through this entire thread, I would simply add that situations beyond our control may force the day or time of the dinner to be changed at some point in the future. Venue changes have had to be made out of necessity just to accommodate the number of attendees in our group. We've had the dinner at three different places each year I've attended. For my part, I'd work the dinner into my plans no matter what day or time it was planned, but until that becomes an unavoidable necessity, I'd still prefer we try to keep the traditional dinner on Saturday night as long as we possibly can.

For the record, I've attended all three Colonial Marine events (parade, sweep, and dinner, with time spent manning the Fan Table as well), each year I've attended D-Con, and wouldn't have missed any of them no matter how trashed I was at the end of the day. The dinner has been a pleasant & relaxing way to end the excitement of the day for me, and I'd like it to stay that way as long as possible. :delta:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:13 pm 
He's just a grunt...

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.62147E1
What's really going to be funny is if it's voted to change to another day and no restaurant will be available to accommodate us because other groups hold their traditions and book the same nights each year...I have tried to plan other dinners for groups months before DC and have been denied because the place was overbooked with "returning parties".

Derek

RIP Pvt. Chris Chulamanis A14/TQ4.0.66993E7 You are missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:01 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42136E1
Dear God, what the hell happened while I was away for the last few days? This has really been blown out of proportion. This forum 'war' was truly unnecessary. Gentlemen, remember, we are GENTLEMEN. Don't misinterpret intentions. We all know for a fact that everyone here would never do anything to f*ck the group as a whole. Opinions vary, of course. Welcome to the human race. But this forum is the worst place to discuss this. I recommend you try to reach out and call or Skype those you differ with. Because this infighting is what destroyed the 501st and many other groups.

We are the ALIENS LEGACY. The 501st has problems, WE don't have problems, only SOLUTIONS.

I will reach out to those involved here. Fee free to call me at your convenience. Steady my friends, we'll get thru this.

"Even a man that has nothing, can still give his life."

DHS
NYANG, MAJ Ret.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 am 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.62154G1
I will say that I, personally, had gone to Scapey about wanting the dinner moved to another time/day because I've always wanted to do the Dragoncon Aquarium night and find it impossible to after the dinner. And I don't want to miss the dinner and time spent with friends that I see so seldom. I also pushed Scapey to mention it because I feel I don't have too much of a voice since I am seldom able to get on the AL

Bither, Stacy M
Virginia -USA
http://facebook.com/wasuremono

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:55 pm 
"Have you met me?"

Triumph wrote:
Gentlemen, remember, we are GENTLEMEN.

Not to be a pain in the ass, Tony, but you do remember that quite a few of the more active and vocal members of this board are not men? You aren't planning on leaving out Rebecca, Samantha, Melissa, Stacy, Lauren, Amy, Vicky, Gemma, or I, were you? ;)

*And if I forgot someone, I do apologize- trying to do about 20 things at once.*

UKCM FOREIGN LEGION:
"DEVIANT DRAGOONS"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:23 am 
Duke Bronson

Don't start any trouble, you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:11 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ2.0.52263G1
I just want to attend, whatever day it may be :)

Pvt Matthew Johnson
USCM Corps of Engineers
"Sapper by trade, marine by blood."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:49 am 
"Have you met me?"

MSgt Baldwin wrote:
Don't start any trouble, you.

Me? Never. :wink:

UKCM FOREIGN LEGION:
"DEVIANT DRAGOONS"