The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE USCM WORKOUT (This time it's PT!)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:04 am 
"Have you met me?"

Service Number: A03/TQ0.0.62144E1
I managed about 2 miles today, rougher than it should have been with the wind... boy it sure does push back.

UKCM FOREIGN LEGION:
"DEVIANT DRAGOONS"

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 pm 
Duke Bronson

Last edited by SGM Baldwin on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:05 pm 
"Have you met me?"

Service Number: A03/TQ0.0.62144E1
Okay, another two miles today. I'm happy about the increase, and the drop in temperature (down about 20*F from last week) has made it a lot more pleasant. Might try to add a mile by week's end if it stays this nice!

UKCM FOREIGN LEGION:
"DEVIANT DRAGOONS"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:43 am 
Ultimate Badass.

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.12141E1
SSgt Baldwin wrote:
Really, Travis? Not even with the USMC?

three miles is standard in the usmc . i have humped (ie pack marched ) alot farther , but full on run i cant recall going farther than three , anyway legs and back whooped my ass , still sore today , but im going to the gym 430 am tommorrow to give it a shot :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 am 
Duke Bronson

Last edited by SGM Baldwin on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 am 
The mythological taj

Service Number: A11/TQ0.0.82134E1
I got a Schwinn 250 recumbent exercise bike for my birthday, I am currently doing three 30 min 'rides' per day, to get my left leg used to the workout before doing any of the 'courses'
My left leg has outer quad neuropathy, so it needs some adjustment time, I must say, the bike is addictive!

Any advice or suggestions?

Carpe Crustulum!! (seize the cookie!!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:09 am 
Victor

I'm not a doctor but wouldn't cycling aggravate your problem? The way I understand it, you have pain in the outside of your left thigh? Cycling isn't recommended as a particularly good exercise for increased mobility as it's actually a very limited motion. It also tightens the ligament across the hip which will compress the nerve and cause you more pain. As I said, I'm not a doctor (I only play one on TV ;) ) but you're probably better off speaking to your GP and asking if there aren't better exercises that you could be doing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:25 pm 
The mythological taj

Actually, I have outer left quad neuropathy (numb from trunk to knee, hypersensitive from knee to foot) the damage to the nerve is at the L5/L4 bundle (crushed when L5 ruptured). And I now have arthritis in my back as an added bonus.

I have been approved by my neurologist for walking, swimming, bike riding, and some use of a 'total gym' I am NEVER allowed to do regular sit ups or crunches.

After almost 10 years, I have gotten used to the pain, and can mostly ignore it, the leg has some atrophy (it used to be much worse at a 6 cm difference) so my main goals for the bike is to strengthen my legs, try to get the left closer to even with the right, and get some aerobics in without croaking in the Texas sun.

I actually find that the restless leg syndrome in the left leg, and random nerve firings (think red hot poker shoved in random places on your leg) are lessened when I exercise it during the day

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:35 pm 
Victor

Ah, spinal issues. Then that's a different kettle of fish. If your neurologist has OK'd you to do all that then you're good to go. Cycling is good for building leg muscles, but as I said no good for flexibility. You might try doing some squats but don't go too low. Low reps (8-10), maybe 2-3 sets and do them slowly concentrating on your form. If you get even a slight twinge in your back then stop.

Also the secret to any muscle growth is rest. Rather than working out everyday you should do it every other day with a day of rest (or maybe some light walking) in between. Muscle grows by breaking down during the workout and then growing back thicker and stronger. If you work out every day your just breaking it down and not giving it a chance to repair itself. You will see results but they'll be slower than if you take proper rest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 pm 
The mythological taj

Thanks Mole!
Flexibility has never been much of an issue (I'm creepy bendy) but I suppose it is a good idea to upgrade my stretches on my 'off' days.
I need to pick up my total gym from Kansas and get to work on the rest of me also

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 pm 
Duke Bronson

Last edited by SGM Baldwin on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:47 pm 
The mythological taj

Stay strong Dom, I expect to catch hell from you at Dragon next year

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:23 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Saw my GP doc today to get my sick certificate and for him to weigh me, so I can keep an eye on any increase/decrease in weight as I sort out my diet now I'm all fixed up.

I lost a lot of weight after the op in February, going from about 155lbs in late January down to about 125lbs by the end of March.

Since then I've been on a high vitamin, protein and carb diet, so that I got as much nutrition into my system for the short bit of bowel to process, before the food quickly left my system into the ileostomy bag.

Was monitoring my weight after the op and seemed to keep at around 125lbs, not gaining but not losing more weight either.

Hadn't weighed myself since late July, so assumed my weight had stayed constant, but now realise that I must have been slowly gaining, as my weight today is back up to 165lbs! :shock: :)
Wil have to keep an eye on any further weight gain, especially around my middle, as that'll be hardest to get rid of.

The laparatomy in 1998 and again in February means I have a permanent herniation at midline, with the ileostomy/stoma site on my right side having another hernia, now repaired after the recent reversal op.
Can't do any sort of weight training for a couple of months, but will start with low weight bicep curls in the new year.
Will post updates on here as and when I can. :)

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:39 am 
Grenade minus pin= D:

Service Number: A10/TQ3.0.02158E1
After being hit by a car in early May, I had been rendered unable to walk properly for several months..
But I just got back into the swing of things last month and began hitting the gym every evening for cardio, weights, and raquetball.
I've timed myself and I'm at about 50% of what I used to be, Running wise

I'm going to try and cut a 3 mile run from 2 hours to one, then work it down each time I go, I don't want Dom to yell at me XD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:10 am 
Duke Bronson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:59 pm 
Alien Queen

Lieutenant Forrest wrote:
After being hit by a car in early May, I had been rendered unable to walk properly for several months..
But I just got back into the swing of things last month and began hitting the gym every evening for cardio, weights, and raquetball.
I've timed myself and I'm at about 50% of what I used to be, Running wise

I'm going to try and cut a 3 mile run from 2 hours to one, then work it down each time I go, I don't want Dom to yell at me XD

What an awesome spirit. Your never-say-never attitude will help you reach so many goals!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:52 pm 
Duke Bronson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:19 am 
International Diplomat

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.62158E1
Been really pushing myself to get back onto my shape from school. I've managed to run 5 miles in 46 minutes, which is the first time I've broken the ten minute mark in a few years. Hoping to keep pushing but the declining weather is making the hills around me a little treacherous.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:19 am 
Grenade minus pin= D:

SSgt Baldwin wrote:
Just set my new record... 5K (3.11 Miles) in 26:07.

Now... I'm sitting down.

Uh-oh, I better get my ass in gear and start runnin' faster!
"I'm Running Sarge, I'm Runnin!"

*EDIT
Tried running tonight, and boy was I overestimating myself, dear lord I'm probably down to about 25-35% of what I used to be....that accident took more out of me than I thought. Well, back to the training regimen until I can get back into the 50% and higher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:55 pm 
Duke Bronson

Last edited by SGM Baldwin on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:00 am 
Grenade minus pin= D:

Thanks Dom!
This will surely help a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 pm 
Alien Queen

I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing on their journey. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:57 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Started on bicep curls at the weekend, but have found a problem;

I start with 3kg(6.6lbs) and can do quite a few with little to no effort, then all of a sudden, nothing. It's like someone's turned the lifting power off in my arm, as no amount of effort can lift the weights. :|

Have I started with too much weight? It's hardly any (only one small 1.5kg weight on each end).
I only have 0.5kg weights which are any smaller, but that'd mean dropping down to just 1kg(2lbs).

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:29 am 
The mythological taj

I have lost two inches off my hips and one inch off my waist... woot!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:09 pm 
Lifer

PVB wrote:
I start with 3kg(6.6lbs) and can do quite a few with little to no effort, then all of a sudden, nothing. It's like someone's turned the lifting power off in my arm, as no amount of effort can lift the weights. :|

Can you go again after a minute or two of rest? Or is that it? Your workout is over because of this? You can do no more at all?

What I can tell you from my experience is that everyone is different at the "rate" their muscles lose power. I myself vary depending on the amount of weight, muscle I'm exercising, the exercise itself etc.

Sometimes my muscles lose power gradually- If I am doing say ten repetitions by the seventh one I start to slow down and the tenth one takes a great deal of effort.

However there are times that I do, say 8 or 9 repetitions with the same amount of effort, however the tenth one doesn't budge. It is as if all of the sudden the weight has become 1000 pounds. There is no pain, just that the weight is instantly too heavy.

You might want to seek the advice of a proper personal trainer in case there is something truly wrong, however I can say that your problem is not uncommon.

But if you find that after doing the same exercises with the same weights over and over, and your strength progressively goes down rather than up (you can do less and less reps with the same weight), then you might truly be overtraining. You will either need to put more rest time (days) in between your workouts, lower the weight you are using, eat better, sleep more or a combination of all this.

Hope this helps. :delta:

As for myself, it has been a hard few last months. My work schedule has been all over the place only allowing me to workout as little as twice or even once a week. Coupled with the winter season (I hate this time of year) this has "unmotivated" me dramatically. The Christmas season food fest has made me put on ten unwanted pounds (totally my own doing of course- no excuses). I went up to as much as 163lbs. This is the most I've weighed since I starting working out again in 2006. :shock: :(

However I've started to get this under control again. The junkfood around the house (chocolate/candy from Christmas) has finally dwindled. I've managed to get to the gym 3 times a week for the last couple of weeks and it looks like I might manage a fourth day whenever I can.

I'm down to 157-158. I look my best around 150, which will be my goal before the nice weather gets here in May.

But damn! I guess I'm getting old as the weights feel pretty effing heavy lately. :lol:

Stay Strong everyone!

Kevin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next