The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: THE USCM WORKOUT (This time it's PT!)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:32 am 
Lifer

Navy Navy I'm in doubt...

Why your belly's sticking out!

Is it whiskey or is it wine?

Or is it a lack of PT TIME!

Ok Marines you wanted, it you got it! This is the US Colonial Marines Workout Thread! :D

In here we will share workout advice, post progress pics, and support each other in achieving our individual goals! Whether you are trying to lose a few pounds, gain a few pounds, tone up, trim down, bulk up... IT'S ALL GOOD HERE! :D

So here are some suggestions on what will be your initial posts in this thread:

- Set a goal for yourself (lose weight, gain weight, lower body fat, increase muscle mass, etc). It is important to be realistic- if your body has been the same weight for years or decades, you're probably not going to lose or gain 50 pounds in a couple of months. :wink:

- Set a timeframe to reach your goal by. Some of us might use D-Con as a finish line- nothing wrong with that.

- You must post a picture of yourself as a starting off point (this will basically be your "Before" picture). If you are hardcore take the pictutre shirtless (trust me it helps), however if you are uncomfortable with this you may wear a tanktop.

You should post the following:

-height
-weight
-waist measurement (if you are attempting to lose weight)
-things like arm or chest measurements can be optional
-if you really want to, you can have your bodyfat percentage analyzed (I'm able to have this done at my gym)

Once per month we will all post an updated picture to track our progress.

We can post daily about what we ate/ avoided eating/ trained at the gym (or whatever main exercise you perform- running, swimming, cycling etc). At the very least, you should post once a week about your training progress.

I'm going to post my intro tomorrow with my picture, longterm goals and timeframe.

Above all- this about supporting each other. There is nothing wrong with a little friendly competition to challenge ourselves, but no flaming allowed... you disgusting fat-bodies! :wink:

Last edited by SSgt Burton on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:00 am 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
Alright bro, I'm in!

I got a bowflex clone left in my house when I bought it, and I just bought an Apex Tower. I should have no excuse. I'll be heading back to the Karate dojo as well.

My goal is simple. I want to look good in spandex! The Batsuit awaits! 8)

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:11 am 

:twisted: :lol:

:xeno:

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:17 am 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
I'm in.

Just got back from the gym infact.
My daily routine (and by that I mean Monday-Friday with weekends to let me muscles recover) I like to vary.
But the basis is this:

50 upper body....things (I'll call them reps) @ 50lb (2 sets of 25)
50 upper leg reps @ 80-100lb
50 lower leg reps @ 60-80lb
While laying on my stomach, lifting approx 80lb in quick sucsession up to my chest; 3-4 sets of 15 (what are these called?)
On the elliptical, alternating 4 minutes at high resistance and 4 minutes at low resistance for 33 minutes at approx 130-150 strides per minute.
During the warmer months when rowing is open I'm on the rowing machine for 2000 metres (approx 8 minutes at 25 strokes a minute)

I'll get some measurements and a current photo and we'll go from there.

Best to all, lets see what we can do.

On a related note, the Oklahoma City Mayor has put Oklahoma to the test seeing if the state can lose 1,000,000lb by the end of 2008. A tough feat seeing as how our state dish is about 3000 calories <lol>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:16 am 
He's just a grunt...

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.62147E1
Thanks Sarge...just what we need around here to keep spirits up a bit...heres my before photo..I took it on Tuesday Jan 1st after a 4 day weekend...thats why I have a beard:)..this is about 1 month after I started my diet...I have already seen a MAJOR change..my pants will not stay up and Im down to a Large shirt now. Ive cut more holes in my belt until I can buy more pants:)

Stats so far...

Beginning Weight: 230 lbs
Desired Weight: 210 to 215 lean
Waist in inches: 44
Pant size at Beginning: 36
Desired Pant size:32 to 34
Plan of Attack: Strict Diet consisting of LOW fat foods, small portions consumed 5 to 6 times daily.
Exercises consisting of full resistance training/cardio

Derek

DSC00971.jpg
DSC00971.jpg [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 109892 times ]

RIP Pvt. Chris Chulamanis A14/TQ4.0.66993E7 You are missed.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Does anyone have a PDF copy of an Army/Navy/AF/Marines PT manual?

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:36 pm 
You tell me, man; I only work here.

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42161E1
alright, here we go:

height: 5'11"-ish

gut measurements: about 44"

weight: close to 240

goal: lose at least some of my gut

Time frame: by the start of summer

me and my gut...
PICT0057.JPG
PICT0057.JPG [ 305.62 KiB | Viewed 109891 times ]

"When the going gets tough, the tough call on the Colonial Marines."
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:38 am 
Working title

Thank you, Sarge. I definately needed this thread.
I've need to get in shape for my ROTC tests.

Will post some information and pictures as soon as I get home and have access to a camera. (out of state right now)

Collin "Ripper714"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:05 pm 

Photo from 1/6/08

Stats:
Height: 6'0
Weight: 230lbs
Waist: 36"

Goal:
34" Waist
200-210 lbs (pending muscle)

Plan of attack:
45-60 minutes at the gym; 5 times a week
Cardio, weights and weight loss program
Diet of more fruit, vegetables and less Chinese food
(hmmm, Chinese food. They just opened one right across from the apartment......damn it smells so good.)

You are a disgusting fat body Cpl Leach. Do you even think you could come close to your goal this year?
I will PT you until you f*cking die.
You will not laugh. You will not cry.
I got your name. I got your a$$!!!
Do you think you have what it takes to serve in my beloved corp???

SIR YES SIR!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:18 pm 
Lifer

Great to see the enthusiasm!

Derek, Maverick and Tony- I applaud your intro pics! It takes a lot of guts (no pun intended) to take a shirtless picture!

Ok here's my first post-

Height: Still only 5'6" :wink: :lol:

Weight: last time I weighed myself at the gym (over a week ago) I was 158lbs (I'll do it again on Monday to get a current stat)

Waist: 32"

So my goals are to lose about 5 to 8 pounds, and two inches off my waist by May. It doesn't sound like much- but on my small frame 5 pounds looks like 10 to 20 pounds. It's also those "last few pounds" which are particularly hard to lose.

What this will mean for me is to stick with my already strict diet (I'll go into more detail about it in another post). I'll cut back and eventually give up eating all the damn chocolate that has been sitting around the house because of Christmas. :wink: :lol:

I also want to be a little more "musclely" by summer. Normally I eat five times a day- however lately (last couple of months) I've been skipping my last meal of the day which would consist of some protein: either chicken, eggs, or a protein shake.

Skipping that protein (especially if I replace it with chocolate :wink: ) has cost me some muscle mass and strength in the gym. So I really have to crack down on myself.

And a personal goal of mine is to break the 315lb mark in the decline press!

Before D-Con I managed to crack the 300lb mark. This was a great accomplishment for me as I had not pushed that much weight in the last 15 years (I started working out in Jan 1990).

After D-Con I had let my workouts slide a bit- my strength went down and I can only do about 280-285 in the decline press. For those who don't know- a decline press is when you lay on a bench with your head lower than your knees:

I don't do classic heavy flat bench presses anymore (maybe once in a blue moon). I still do flat dumbbell presses (with 100lb dumbbells for 6 to 8 reps) and light flat bench presses (135lbs bringing the bar down slowly and strictly).

Anyway- I'll go into more detail about my workout routine later. :wink:

Best of success Marines!! We'll all be lean mean Colonial Marines by summer!!! :D

Oh yeah- here are my pics:

PS- Can we make this thread sticky Mods? :)

Last edited by SSgt Burton on Sat May 02, 2009 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:36 pm 

Can I just make a point on Kev's pics.....

I think he has a pic of himself in front of those white doors....he's removed the body and simply replacing it with bodies in different poses. The head remains the same as well as the background :lol:

Just kidding Kev.
As for the topless pics.....I think people are so comfortable here the normal limits have been pushed back a little.
I certainly never thought twice about posting a semi-naked pic for you all :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:22 pm 
He's just a grunt...

Good to see were all jumping in on this..
and thanks for the pic of "the Gunny" Tony..thats my new wallpaper to remind me daily of what I need to do to reach that goal :lol:

Anyway, It feels so good right now to have my belt on the last added holes..and being able to wear a large shirt that fits perfectly instead of a droopy X Large...but I'm not gonna stop for just that feeling alone!! I wanna look in that mirror and actually like what I'm seeing. And maybe even get to the point to have a "just outta cryo" costume with Sarge at DC08 :wink: :D

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:42 pm 
Lifer

Actually Derek brings up a good point about the mirror-

All my years of working out I have used the mirror as a way to guage my progress. Weight really makes no difference to me, neither does bodyfat percentage. It's all about how I look, and in turn how I feel about it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:04 am 

I'd just like to look in the mirror and smile and know i'm not going to become a statistic.
That and make my brother who went from porky to twig in about a year say he says I look good.

Its just a case of taking care of yourself.
Cherie's boss today who I've not seen since....October at the rowing said I looked good and lost weight.
It's stuff like that which makes me feel good.

To be honest....I just want a flat belly and a nice neck <lol>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:16 am 
He's just a grunt...

CplTony wrote:

To be honest....I just want a flat belly and a nice neck <lol>

Amen!!!

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:29 am 

Does anyone use cross-fit? It kicks your ass, but it generates results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:38 am 
Lifer

What is cross-fit?

New one on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:03 am 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
http://crossfit.com/
Very popular with the troops in Edmonton.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:09 am 

Cross fit is pretty rough on a person at first, but it gets a little easier over time. Check out the page, it explains the ideas better than I can.

You don't put on a lot of muscle, but your endurance in a fight shoots through the roof. It works really well on the APT? system in the body.

When I started Cross-Fit, I weighed 185lbs, and could run the mile and a half in 13:00. 18 weeks later, I weighed 170, could run the mile and a half in 10:03 and fought three red-men and held my own for 5 minutes. I did Cross-Fit every other day in that time frame.

If you want to get sculpted and bulky, its not the best for that. If you want to be tough enough to take on, fight and destroy an opponent or three and not get gassed doing it, its awesome. Its ideal for police, firefighters and the military for that reason - people who need a lot of strength and endurance for a protracted amount of time.

It can be hard to get into. The idea of working out so hard and so fast (30 mins is average) to the point you are passing out and or puking is rough to take at first. I found the key was to push as fast as you were able at first, and soon times would be improving.

My final times for "Helen" and "Fight Gone Bad" were on average 10 minutes faster by the time I stopped doing it. For a lot of cross-fit exercises you need basic equipment like a pull up bar, some weights of different types and sizes, and a medicine ball. There are a lot of GOOD body-weight exercises. I remember one was:

25 pushups, 25 situps, 25 body weight squats, and 10 pull ups - 5 rounds for time. Seems easy, but can really kick your ass when you are pushing hard for a short time.

Check out the page - its not for everyone, but can be pretty good if what it provides is what you seek. I have stopped doing it as of late to be honest, mainly because I have less free time now, no access to a close gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:19 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
Another good site for workouts like that is gymjones.com. The Spartans from 300 worked out with these guys. I'll post my current pics later tonight. Right now I'm hovering at 200 pounds. I was in naked Spartan shape of 185 at Dragon this year. Then I ate a lot of pizza. I'm shooting to get back into the 180 to 190 range by March this year. I want to add more muscle mass over the summer and then cut down again for Dragon. Ooo-rah boys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:33 pm 
He's just a grunt...

Okay..got weighed today...222 lbs!!!! Hell yeah...A month ago I started at 240ish...man, Im proud of myself :D

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:48 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

You should be man, that's huge! Keep on it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:32 am 
Lifer

Well I weighed myself in the gym yesterday-

154lbs

So I figure I still want to be about 150 or so. Last D-Con I was 148; that's a little too light for me. So 150 but with a bit more muscle mass (in other words- sharper definition).

I hope to add "training tips" about once a week or so with pictures. Taking pics at the gym is frowned upon so I'll be making do with what I can here at home.

That Cross-fit would make me puke after 5 minutes! My cardio is terrible. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

I looked at that stuff and thought the same. I know the gymjones stuff caused several almost hurling moments back when I started. I haven't attacked those style workouts in a while so I expect similar results soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:43 am 
Lifer

Gymjones.

This is killing me! :lol:

Every time I read that name I think Jim Jones... You know- the nutcase cult leader and the Jonestown mass suicide?

Jonestown Suicide

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next