The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:57 pm 
Duke Bronson

Last edited by SGM Baldwin on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
Well they say that Muscles have Memory it seem mine have a Eidetic one as after 4 weeks my arms for example are 60% bigger in size, ok i have been working hard but the results in such a short time are amazing

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:32 pm 
Unfit For Human Consumption

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.52150E1
nocternus wrote:
Well they say that Muscles have Memory it seem mine have a Eidetic one as after 4 weeks my arms for example are 60% bigger in size, ok i have been working hard but the results in such a short time are amazing

Cool man, keep on it. Shame we don't all live a bit closer, we could get some proper UKCM training sessions in 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:24 am 

I haven't got any pics to show you the difference but i have been training for over a year and a half to join the army which I'm doing on the 19th of this month. And in the time I lost over 3 stone and are finally near the way I want my body shape and tone to be. I will try and get a picture.

Post subject: Re: THE USCM WORKOUT (This time it's PT!)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:08 pm 

Oh god, more male nudity. I believe you, pictures not required!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 pm 

Hahaha. Don't worry I won't put any on haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:17 pm 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
OK time for me to poke my head back in here.

When rowing in 2006/2007 I was 205 lbs and thought; I need to lose weight.
I'm now 233 lbs and I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT!!

I've come and gone with diets and exercise etc. (previous posts in this thread are proof) but lack of free time with work, business etc has made it tough to stick to an exercise routine as my time is never scheduled after 9-5 work hours.
So...after talking with Master Sergeant Dom Baldwin this weekend he gave me some great tips (well gave me all the info I need) for a diet which hopefully will help me lose about 20 lbs by Christmas.

I get exercise while working but again it's not guaranteed and on a regular basis so just simply switching what goes in my body will be the easiest thing to do to begin with.

Starting with a 2 month diet of nothing but meat (non-processed, low sodium), vegetables (fresh and green) and fruits every 2-3 hours with a whole grain breakfast to start the day I'm intrigued to see what happens.

I'm 233 lbs now; my goal is to be 210 by Christmas :)

--edit--
Looked back through the posts and apparently I was 230 in 2008 but I recall while rowing in 2007 I was 205...very strange.
OK so in a nutshell 34 pages (5 years) of this thread and I've gained 3lbs...not good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:45 am 
There are Tigers...

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.71260E1
Absolutely pulverized my body going up the Gunny breaker for the first time in a couple months. Thank God for my youth, or I might have not survived

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:31 am 
Victor

I'm currently in training for a 10 mile road race at the end of October.

Weight is 135lb (9st9lb) as of this morning. I'd like to be back down to 126lb (9st) just so my clothes fit again. ;)

My biggest issue is snacking in the evenings after the kids are in bed. I'm not particularly hungry, I'm just bored. Time to get back on the model making or cross stitch just to keep myself busy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:33 am 

Well pardon my language but HOLY SH*T!!

4 weeks in (1 week for D*Con so I'll say '3 weeks in') and I'm down to about 212lbs, feel TONNES better and find myself not wanting to splurge on carbs' anymore.
I get one cheat day a week and the first one I took I splurged and felt like crap the next day.
The week after that the cheat day was lighter on carbs' and I STILL felt like crap.
The 3rd cheat day was lighter than heck on carbs' and I felt good so tomorrow is my next cheat day and it's going to be the diet for all but the evening meal when I'll be out with friends.

This diet is weening me off carbs' and training me to eat better which is FANTASTIC!
I'm sure not everyone wants to hear this but I could slide my jeans off while still buttoned up so had to put a belt on.
I had to drill a new hole to begin with and now can do the same thing with the belt on so had to drill ANOTHER new hole today.

I'm losing my mind when it comes to wanting to eat things but I know if I splurge I'll feel like crap so I'm able to control it better.
The food to begin with was fine but I HAD to switch it up as it was SO boring.
I'm now seasoning the chicken, dunking the vegetables in fat free sour cream and having greek yogurt and citrus fruit for breakfast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:23 am 
Victor

Great work, Tony!

It's important not to limit your diet for too long. The problem is once you start eating normally again (carbs or not) there's a strong chance of putting the weight straight back on. You've been on it a month so I'd say it was time to start adding other foods back into your diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:03 pm 

After 2 weeks of eating loads I actually have a smaller waist, I'm putting it down to regular meals at set times, but looking forward to getting back to the Gym as my muscle build has suffered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:09 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
I've just started 'Big like Bane' but I can't afford enough protein (even offal is too dear). Fingers crossed it'll improve my strength even if I don't bulk up :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:18 pm 

If you cant afford supplements Simon get your protein from your food, eggs chicken, Turkey etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:53 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Yeh I'm eating allot more meat and lentils but I've really got to keep the costs down which is my main problem. Luckily a friend keeps chickens so I get eggs dirt cheap.
I'm on about 2/3 of what I need, buts that's WAY more than I was on before I started so who knows it might work a bit. :S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:56 pm 
Lifer

I'll echo what nocternus said Simon.

In all honesty I think that whey protein supplements are overrated. I have not taken a protein powder (or "any" supplement aside from a multi-vitamin) since 2006; all of my protein is from food.

I used to sell supplements for a living (worked for General Nutrition Center as a store manager for a couple of years) and used to use supplements for over 15 years before I stopped taking them. You name it, I took it: protein powders (egg, soy, whey), creatine (powder and liquid), glutamine, amino acid tablets, pre-workout drinks, post-workout drinks, and God only knows how many different weight loss pills. :lol:

I've decided they are all much more hype than effective results. You can get the same results with proper food.

Really things like protein drinks or bars are much more about convenience than a necessity. When you are on the run, it's much easier/quicker to mix up a shake than cook a chicken breast. :wink:

I also believe the amount of protein you need is overblown too. The old saying that you need 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is A LOT to ingest on a daily basis.

I weigh about 152lbs (well... today :lol: ) and I'm lucky if I eat around 75 grams of protein a day. I would have to force myself to eat more protein.

That being said, I do understand that you need a fair amount of protein to build muscle, and that if you don't back up your workouts with a proper amount, you could be headed for overtraining. Overtraining can and will eventually result in muscle weakness (as opposed to getting stronger), strains and even muscle tears.

However everyone is different and the amount of protein you need is pretty much up to the individual. Try to stick around 1 gram per pound of bodyweight and dial it up or back as you see fit. Remember that experiments of "how much you need" is done over the course of months (even years) and not measured in days or weeks.

Tony: great job on the weight loss! Keep it up man!

Vicky: "Eating when bored" is probably one of biggest reasons people over eat: we have blurred the lines between food being a source of nourishment, and a form of entertainment. So yes, if you can keep yourself occupied you should be able to avoid that unwanted snacking. :)

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:18 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Thanks for the advice Kevin, I'm trying to get 1g per lb, 2g is just impossible not only money-wise bit I really can't eat that amount of food! For a fat lad I don't eat allot.

I tried weight loss pills but ended up absorbing all the water I drank with them and weighed more after three weeks on them, I felt liked crap too. I actually lost weight by ditching the pills but drinking water when I got hungry. It's a big con in my view.

I'm stuck with doing bodyweight excersises too as I can't afford weights or gym membership, good enough for convicts to bulk up so can't be that bad :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:21 pm 

88reaper88 wrote:
Thanks for the advice Kevin, I'm trying to get 1g per lb, 2g is just impossible not only money-wise bit I really can't eat that amount of food! For a fat lad I don't eat allot.

I tried weight loss pills but ended up absorbing all the water I drank with them and weighed more after three weeks on them, I felt liked crap too. I actually lost weight by ditching the pills but drinking water when I got hungry. It's a big con in my view.

I'm stuck with doing bodyweight excersises too as I can't afford weights or gym membership, good enough for convicts to bulk up so can't be that bad :)

Nothing wrong with bodyweight exercises mate - that plus cardio is a great way to get lean and toned. When I was boxing, we did nothing with weights, it was all bodyweight exercise. Like anything, just be religious with it to get results :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 pm 

Attachment:
dietcomparison.jpg
dietcomparison.jpg [ 164.53 KiB | Viewed 37565 times ]

Face on the right is of me at my brothers wedding last November

Face on the left is of me about 10 minutes ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 am 
Lifer

Nice Bro! Nice!

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:24 am 
Wild Brew

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.72140G1
Well after seeing many pictures of me in my smart gunner rig, I was more than a little grossed out by how I looked. :( So I backed off on the grad school commitments and joined a gym and hired a coach to help me out. 10lbs and counting now.... :)

"If you are going to die, die with a real weapon. Not a little sissy gun like that. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:19 pm 

So, 2 weeks left on my diet and I've lost almost 30lbs

HOWEVER....I just had our annual biometric screening at work and all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!
Only thing I need to work on is my good cholsterol (more omega 3 which I have fish oil pills for) and of course keep losing the weight.
I'm now 202lbs and my new goal is to be 180

To say I'm happy is an understatement.
My triglycerides 2 years ago were above 500 (200+ is high risk) and today they were 75 (under 150 desirable)
My total cholesterol is over 200 last year and is now 168....very desirable.
My weight/height BMI is only 3 points over the desirable number and my body fat is only 5 points over it as well.

Still 2 weeks to go on the diet but I can officially say I'm the healthiest I've ever been since I got married :)

WOOHOO!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:38 pm 
"Have you met me?"

Service Number: A03/TQ0.0.62144E1
Way to go, Tony!

SgtTony wrote:
Only thing I need to work on is my good cholsterol (more omega 3 which I have fish oil pills for) and of course keep losing the weight.

Can you do fish on your diet instead of chicken? That might help.

UKCM FOREIGN LEGION:
"DEVIANT DRAGOONS"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:49 pm 

I can but with only two weeks left I'll just be eating more fish as I transition into a healthier diet long term.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:22 pm 

Congrats man, that is a serious effort undertaken there, good on ya :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next