The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:09 am 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
Filming a fan film involving a lot of chasing recently.
While the bad guy had stiff muscles after only a few hours, I'm still good to go.

No real updates other than gym, exercise and what not.
Had to remove the 'before' photo of me as someone in the British forums found it and started posting it. I have a cyber stalker :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:44 pm 

Service Number: A27/TQ4.0.01768E9
Since this wonderfully homo-erotic thread has been intruduced, I'm going to show the world how Kev helped me fit a buff stage roll one year ago! (to the day actually, since I first flew out to that one :shock: how time flies) I'll post a couple of pics soon.

Kev, I was going to ask some more advice anyway! Good timing!

I dropped my weight training 6 months ago to start daily dance classes at drama school. They don't want me to start again (I'm terribly inflexible as it is, and it won't help) but the way I see it... I'll never be a dancer, and a physique would be worth more to me in the long run! I'd like to start again- but my neck got big last time, and I'd like to avoid this- it could effect singing and voice work. Is it avoidable? I'm buying some fancy dumbells (2kg - 40kg in one jobbies made by bowflex) and a bench, with which I hope to be able to do what I need. No Gym membership this year. Poor as an indulgent suburban churchmouse I am.

Lewis
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:32 pm 
Lifer

Training Tip #2

SUPPLEMENTS
(part 1)

So we recently covered what is probably one of the most popular supplements on the market- creatine. Here I will begin discussing what else you need. :wink:

Multi-Vitamin/Mineral supplements:

We should all know that vitamins and minerals are essential for optimum health- however in our case of working out, we need them for a higher degree: performance.

Most multi-vitamin/mineral supplements are designed to provide the minimum amount of vitamins and minerals required by the body for survival (such as the bare minimum amount of vitamin C required to prevent scurvy). However athletes require much higher amounts because their bodies are using up these vitamins/minerals much faster than the average person. So you need to find a supplement for someone working out.

I usually go by the milligram (mg) dosage of the B vitamins. The B vitamins are very important as they are what your body uses to turn food into energy. I like having a vitamin supplement that has at least 50mg of each B vitamin. If it has 1.5 mg of this and 2 mg of that- avoid it.

In addition to a multi-vitamin/mineral, I take 500 to 1000mg of vitamin C, and 400 I.U. of vitamin E daily. Most multi-vitamins do not have enough of these two important vitamins (the tablet would be too large to swallow otherwise).

If you have never taken a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement before- you should notice a difference in a few days. You should feel more energized. Also don't be surprised if your urine turns bright yellow- it is the B vitamins causing that (and is nothing to worry about).

You should take your vitamin/mineral supplements with food (I usually have them with breakfast). Two reasons why-

1- The tablets are too small for your stomach to produce digestive acid on their own- they may not be fully broken down and could pass through your system unused (I feel this is the most important reason).

2- Some people get an upset stomach from taking vitamins by themselves. This is almost always eliminated by taking them with food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:20 pm 
He's just a grunt...

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.62147E1
Great advice Sarge...ALWAYS take your vitamins Marines..it is THE essential part to what this thread stands for.

With that being said...I weighed in yesterday at my wifes chiropractor...Im down from 240 in Nov/Dec.. to....
(drumroll please)...........220 now.

I feel ALOT better...Im almost at my desired 210...AND Im already in my desired 34 pants...I havent been able to get into the gym yet, with my son just being born AND work taking up so much time..BUT, with my job I do get my cardio in on a daily basis. Im doing alot of sprints and lifting daily...so its almost like the gym. Now I just need to start my abs routine daily...

Derek

RIP Pvt. Chris Chulamanis A14/TQ4.0.66993E7 You are missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:06 pm 
Diplomatic Immunity

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.13371E1
Right, I'm in. My weight problems have taken me too far!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/tr ... MG0437.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/tr ... MG0438.jpg

Vital statistics, top to bottom:

Weight - 257lb

Neck - 17 1/2"
Chest - 44"
Bicep - 16 1/2"
Forearm - 15"
Tummy - 48"
True Waist - 47"
Jeans Line - 45"
Hips - 48"
Thigh, around (standing) - 28"
Calf, around (standing) - 22"

Desired result by 1st September 2008:

Weight - 220lb
Chest - 42"
Waist - 42"

Methods:
Running, cross trainer, cycling and rowing for 45 minutes a session, 3-4 sessions a week, increasing with capability over time. Diet will see reduced portions and more healthy snacking, and I will ween myself slowly off of Coca Cola (my one true vice).

With any luck, and a lot of effort, I will be looking trim and with a lot more definition come DCon!

Last edited by Fal Bowden on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:58 pm 

Rowing - Coke = auto weight loss.
I think you'll see great results rather quickly with that equation Pete.

I'm still not losing any weight. But feel SO much healthier and fitter and feel thinner too.
I've been sick as a dog the last few days though with the flu.
Ever tried running on an eliptical with a pounding headache?
I lasted about 6 minutes <lol>

Great to see more people signing up though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:56 pm 
Lifer

Cutting regular soda pop out of your diet (and replacing it with diet pop or water) can help immensely!

Switching to diet pop takes a bit of getting used to at first- but once you become accustom to it you may very well have saved yourself a few hundred to over 1000 calories a day depending on how much you drink!

One can of pop (355ml) usually has about 200 calories!

I was going to do a post entitled "Why We Overeat"- I'll go into much more detail later.

Suffice to say for now- our bodies require much less calories per day than we consume. It is verrrrry easy to go overboard. Especially when we snack in between meals on high calorie junk. Potato chips are one of the worst offenders.

Oh what the hell... Let's talk about it now! :wink: 8)

This really is for those of us trying to lose weight- for the ones trying to gain weight, I'll post that advice another day. :wink:

What I'm about to post is my opinions, based partially on experience, and information I have picked up over the years.

Before I begin, for those who don't know I used to be very obese:

ImageImage

This was me back in 1986 (at 16 years of age) in what was easily the worst shape of my life. I was probably over 200lbs... but I was only 5' 3" in height (I probably should have been 120lbs).

I was like this from 13 to 19 years of age. I lost most of the weight by jogging for 9 months- then in 1990 I started weighlifting. Watching my diet has been a constant struggle ever since.

Two of the main (and worst) reasons we overeat-

1- We eat as a source of entertainment when we are bored.

2- We eat as a source of pleasure when we are upset.

There are many factors to overeating- As human begins we have a tendency to eat until there is no more food in front of us. In other words, we don't really know when to stop ourselves. This might partially be from our Parents insisting that we finish all of our food at the dinner table.

Have you ever found yourself at an "all you can eat" buffet- going back for a third or fourth helping even though you feel stuffed? This is because we have a tendency to give in to that pleasure center in our brains regardless of what our stomach is telling us. :wink:

About those potato chips- As I mentioned we tend to eat until the food is all gone. When we start eating a bag of potato chips... We will most likely keep eating until the bag is finished.

The insidious thing is potato chips are incredibly high in calories. Add chip dip and that little snack could easily be the amount of calories your body burns in a single day (somewhere in the 2000 to 3000 calorie range)! :shock:

So let's say you just can't give up potato chips just yet- what can we do to help ourselves not overeat?

First and foremost overeating is an addiction. And the first step is admitting to having a problem. It sucks- but it's the cold hard truth.

One thing you can do is control the portions that you eat. Let's take the potato chips again as an example: Instead of taking the entire bag with you- pour a small amount into a bowl or zip lock bag.

When you are finished you must now make a conscious effort to go back for more. This is where your willpower must come in. You must assert yourself to STOP. Trust me I know it is easier said than done- I've been there.

Another reason we overeat is that it takes about 20 minutes or so for the stomach to signal the brain that we are full. In the meantime if we don't make the effort to stop before this, we have overeaten beyond what we require. When you start "feeling full" you are actually well past how much food you actually should have eaten.

Some ways to combat this-

Eat smaller, more frequent meals. I eat about five times a day. A couple of those meals are quite small. This is not only about portion control-

When you eat supersized meals, your stomach grows (stretches) to accommodate the large amount of food. As a vicious cycle it in turn takes more food each time for you to feel full and no longer hungry.

Eating smaller meals will in time literally reduce the size of your stomach- as a result you feel full faster, having eaten less food. Again I have learned this through practice.

One thing we really have to overcome is using food as a source of pleasure or entertainment. Food is meant to nourish the body. It's been a long road- but over the years I have trained myself to treat food as a tool- just like a barbell. If it tastes good- that's a bonus.

Don't get me wrong- I have a sweettooth just like the rest of us, and some days it's a helluva lot harder not to give in. Especially when my wife keeps surrounding me with the effin' stuff! :wink: :lol:

But again- that's what we're here for: to support each other! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:29 pm 
Victor

WOW! There's no way I would have said that was you! Good job!

I'm concerned that people still keep quoting the 2000 calories a day thing when most of us are serious couch-potatoes. Even eating five meals a day at 300 cals each is only 1500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:39 am 
Lifer

Mole wrote:
WOW! There's no way I would have said that was you! Good job!

I'm concerned that people still keep quoting the 2000 calories a day thing when most of us are serious couch-potatoes. Even eating five meals a day at 300 cals each is only 1500.

Thanks Vicky! :)

The 2-3000 calorie quote was more about that bag of potato chips and dip rather than what an average intake is. What one might think is not too big a snack could end up being and enormous amount of calories (think how much it would be including a nice large glass of cola with those chips and dip!) :shock:

About how much your body needs... You have to find out your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR). This is an estimate of how many calories your body burns while at rest. I say estimate as most BMR calculators on the net use general information about yourself (age, weight, etc). This is never precise and in my case of having an above average amount of muscle- can potentially be waaaay off.

I probably eat about 2500 calories daily (it's been a bit more than that lately though :wink: ).

Everybody is different- so the BMR is just a starting off point as to how much your body needs in a day. Really it will require a lot of trial and error, and will be something measured in weeks and months.

Needless to say- if anyone feels the need to lose weight- start by reducing the amount of food you eat (or less of the wrong food). Switch everything you can to low fat, low calorie versions. Of course this doesn't mean you can eat twice as much as it will defeat the purpose. :lol:

And of course- you can't be a couch potato; diet alone is not enough. Besides this is the workout thread. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:59 am 

Caught the flu, didn't eat anything for 72 hours, slept for 48 hours and feel like I've lost 100lbs

I'm done :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:04 am 
He's just a grunt...

Got the same thing now Tony :cry: :cry: :( :(

Havent eaten since Sunday night.

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:06 am 
Only the risky live!

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.02161E1
CplTony wrote:
Caught the flu, didn't eat anything for 72 hours, slept for 48 hours and feel like I've lost 100lbs

Looks like we all caught the same bug... :oops:

~funny name, serious attitude~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:15 am 

Did you say 'bug'???? :xeno:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:04 am 
Working title

Same here. Was sick at the beginning of this thread and now getting over another sickness. I'm afraid of doing intense excercise for fear of getting worse.

>_>

Collin "Ripper714"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:03 pm 
Victor

Yeah, people underestimate how many calories that little snack can add to your daily intake. Though I am still seeing places that recommend 2000 cals as a means to loose weight. Of course, that'll work if you had a high fat/sugar diet before or you're doing a very physical job or exercising 5 days a week, but for most people is probably too much.

And I totally agree about diet alone not being enough but it is a start. That BMR thing is quite interesting - but people have to remember that that's for weight maintainance, not weight loss.

I'm too embarrassed to post pics of myself or my weight (and besides, it's rude to ask a lady her weight. ;) ). I'm still carrying some of the weight I put on whilst I was pregnant. Yeah, I know, a year later and I really should be doing something to loose it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:04 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
A great an inspirational post up there Kev. I was a fat kid too :lol: Then I leaned up in high school and then I got fat again. About 2 years ago I go serious about getting in really good shape. And now it seems I get more serious about every 6 months or so. What I used to consider tough now seems lame. Every notch I climb just reveals 2 more. It's a process and a fight every damn day but eventually, if you want it bad enough, it becomes something you look forward too. Something that makes you better in a bunch of ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:27 pm 
You tell me, man; I only work here.

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42161E1
funny thing is, i was always a skinny kid, but in the last 3-4 years i've fattened up quite a bit... :( now i cant seem to get rid of it... :cry:

"When the going gets tough, the tough call on the Colonial Marines."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:54 am 
Lifer

Think of this- 1 pound of fat is approximately 3600 calories.

So if you need to lose 10lbs that's 36 000 calories you have to burn.

To top things off- your body only burns so many calories a day. If you eat more than that- it gets stored as fat. What I'm trying to say here is- even if you are exercising and burning calories, it will do no good if you are still eating too much.

We can only exercise so much in one day or one week. You can only burn so many calroies- so exercise alone is not enough. If you are not losing any weight (and this is for anyone), you have to find a way to cut down your caloric (food) intake.

And it's also not about starving yourself. High fat, high sugar foods are just loaded with calories we don't need. Choosing fruits vegetables, lean cuts of meat, chicken, fish, and eggs should be a major part of your daily diet.

Personally I stay away from things made with white flour. I don't eat white bread anymore. Ocassionally my wife will make sandwiches and I'll have one- no big deal. Otherwise if I have a bagel or wrap (part of my daily routine) it's made with whole wheat flour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:23 am 
He's just a grunt...

True Sarge..Ive leaned away from white bread and only eat whole grain breads now...including pastas. Ive also cut ALL my food down to the recommended serving size on the package...if it says 1/4 cup, I eat a 1/4 cup...if it says 40 peanuts is a serving, Im counting out 40 peanuts..a bit crazy, but its WORKING!!! and amazingly Ive found that Im very satisfied and feel full after each meal by doing so.

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:08 am 
Diplomatic Immunity

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.13371E1
GRAH! The lurgy's got me too now! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 am 
He's just a grunt...

Fal Bowden wrote:
GRAH! The lurgy's got me too now! :(

I had to look that word up Pete :lol:

Get well soon... :wink: :lol:

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:41 pm 
Lifer

Derek- Fantastic to hear you are succeeding in your goals!

Seems the flu is Worldwide- we're getting sick up here too.

Hope it's not Captain Trips. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:43 pm 

not Captain Trips... :shock:

it's the end of the world!!! :shock:
:roll:
Just Kidding! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:44 pm 

funny thing is, i never got to watch the whole movie... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:53 pm 
Lifer

You should read the book- I did and it's a 1000 times better than the movie. :wink: :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next