The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:07 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
lol, Coolaid comparison is inevitable.

Just like I will inevitably loose my excess weight by Dragon. Here's where I'm at now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:01 am 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
First boost received.

Visited Cherie's grandfather is hospital and saw some of her family we'd not seen in a while. (He's doing fine after his surgery btw)
Nice compliments about my weight loss since middle of last year :)

Really motivating.
Had to skip the gym all last week due to the hospital visits etc.
Beginning again Wednesday.....promise ;)

I don't plan on making excuses for myself just yet :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:23 pm 
I Don't Roll on Shabbas

Welll done Tony mate. Congrats on your progress.
Keep it up pal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:49 pm 
Lifer

TRAINING TIP

Ok guys here is the first of what will hopefully be an ongoing series of tips and bits of information I have learned over all my years of working out.

So I'm going to start with what is probably every guy's favourite muscle group- BICEPS! :D

Before I go on I have a little disclaimer to make first. :wink:

First off I am not a doctor, and have no medical background. I am also not a personal trainer, and have no degree in physiology, kinesiology, or any other "ology". :wink:

What I do have is 18 years of practical experience. I have competed in two body building competitions, and basically went from the fat kid in high school to being in great shape. (Don't mean to sound like I'm blowing my horn here). Basically I have tried many techniques, and have found out the hard way what works and what doesn't work for me.

The key being that what might work for me, might not necessarily work for another person- however you won't know until you try right? :wink: :)

If you have any medical condition you should always check with a doctor first. Anything here that I write is nothing more than advice.

Also some of the tips I offer might be a bit advanced (especially if you have never worked out with weights before). They will not be so advanced that you will not be able to use them, however it is always best to make sure you have warmed up your muscles and start with very light weights until you become comfortable with the techniques.

So with that out of the way ( :wink: ). Let's talk about biceps- specifically getting that "peak" on the top:

You bicep muscle is two muscles along the top of your upper arm. The most basic move your bicep muscle does is to raise your foreram upward.

However your bicep also has a second function that we will talk about here-

First look at my bicep in this picture:

Notice how with my palm facing downward the muscle is long and almost relaxed.

Now in this next picture I have turned my wrist upward:

Notice how my bicep has now flexed. even without holding weight or raising my arm, by bicep "worked" simply by twisting my wrist.

So one of the jobs of your bicep is to turn your wrist.

This is how we can use this to our advantage:

When most people do dumbbell curls they hold the dumbbell in the middle like so:

Here is another angle:

However in order to make your bicep work harder- we have to make one side of the dumbbell "heavier" than the other- the easiest way to accomplish this is to hold the dumbbell off to one side (in this case I am demonstrating with my left hand- it will be the opposite for the right hand):

Now that the weight is unevenly distributed, the side closest to your little finger will feel heavier. As a result, your bicep has to work harder in order to turn your wrist upward- and must grow to
compensate!

Another way to accomplish this is to literally make one side heavier than the other. If you have dumbbells that you can change the weight on yourself- you just put a heavier plate on one side than the other:

You don’t have to hold the dumbbell off center because the weight is uneven to begin with.

I would make one side 5lbs heavier than the other.

This is always how I hold dumbbells when I do biceps- whether I am doing alternate curls or concentration curls.

Again start with a light weight to become accustom to the movement- otherwise your wrists/forearms/biceps will be killing you the next day. :wink:

Hope this helps and train hard Marines!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:49 pm 
Lifer

Yeah umm...

Have all you guys given up already or what?

What happened to posting at least once a week?

C'mon guys! Even if you just say what you did for the week it's cool.

So for me my problem is making sure I go to the gym regularly- meaning at least three times a week.

Over the last couple of months I've allowed myself to slide, only going two times or even once a week.

Last week I went twice- this week it's gonna be three times if I have to kick myself.

I usually go on my days off work (Sunday and Tuesday). Getting that third day in after work has been the problem. I usually work 9:30 to 6pm. After a long day at work I don't feel like going to the gym; and after 6pm the place becomes a zoo which I dread.

But twice a week ain't enough- so I'll have to suck it up. Gotta look good for the summer and D-Con! :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:57 pm 
You tell me, man; I only work here.

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42161E1
i worked out some this weekend...my dad and i are still trying to figure out our workout schedules...but i have NOT given up! i just havent changed much... :oops:

"When the going gets tough, the tough call on the Colonial Marines."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:18 pm 
Lifer

Don't be discouraged at all!

Not sure if you've read the body building page of my website- I used to be very overweight myself. In fact I was like that from when I was 13 to 19 years old!

Changes take time- a lot of time depending on how often you workout and how strict your diet is.

When I first started working out- it took me over a year before I would look in the mirror and say "Ok I'm starting to look like a weightlifter now". :wink:

This thread is meant as a place for encouragement and support in achieving our goals- it isn't a contest. :)

It's just a little hard to offer support when nobody posts. :wink:

So like I said- don't be discouraged if you don't notice a difference right away. Changes are measured in months and years. And again don't let that scare you off either- the whole point is to take it one day at a time.

Don't think "It's going to take me forever to get in shape"- because it is very easy to just want to give up. Just think: "Today I'm going to workout" or "Today I'm going to watch my eating habits". After some time you will start to notice a difference and you will feel like a million bucks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:13 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Here's a new toy I made. A slosh tube. Used it yesterday and definitely feel it today. Basically it's a PVC pipe filled partially with water and then capped. Makes it rather unruly to handle. Unruly but fun. And painful :D Carried it Zercher style 100 feet at at time yesterday right after sets of deadlifts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:25 pm 
Lifer

Now that is cool! And impressive! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:39 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

I saw it on gymjones.com a month or so ago and finally decided to make one. It really is a challenge and fun to boot. Just something different ya' know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:51 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92155E1
Picked up an ammusing DVD in Tesco the other day for the bargain price of £1. I have it on VHS somewhere (bought in a charity shop) but have never watched it...

With a face like that he must get results! lol
Ex Gunny

So I don't need to loose weight, but the "fit" side of it would be helpful. Got parachute training in August. Could do with getting fit for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:12 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

That's the dude from "Celebrity Fit Club". The few times I've seen him he was bustin' balls like there was no tomorrow. Almost got into a fight with Screech from "Saved by the Bell", that would've been one pounding to behold :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:38 am 
He's just a grunt...

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.62147E1
Ok..I have a good excuse for not working out these past two weeks :wink:

But, the wife and I are gonna get geared up next week and start hitting the gym....

Progress pics soon...

BTW, Ive lost a total of 20 lbs now.

Derek

RIP Pvt. Chris Chulamanis A14/TQ4.0.66993E7 You are missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:02 pm 

This is the first time I've had the thread come up on the recently updated.
I'm still at the gym though and just bought a nice little mini media player to keep in rythm at the gym.
Some nice college girls also attend the same time I do so I need to look the part ;)

Thanks for the tips Sarge.....off side dumbells it is :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:02 pm 
Alien Queen

I'm going to join in the fun, too!
For me, it's a combination platter - I'm trying to build muscle but also lose fat. Right now, I'm not really worried about what the scale says. What I'm paying attention to most is how I'm progressing in the aerial class Tentacle Chris and I take as well as counting my daily calories. I just started the calorie counting this week. Through writting everything down I realized I'm eating upwards of 1,700 calories a day; I'm aiming for 1,500 calories a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:56 am 
Working title

Still here, Sarge. Been sick as a dog this past week though, so no running or excercise for me. But I'm still sticking this out. Please keep the tips coming, they are very much appreciated!

Collin "Ripper714"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:48 am 

I combined workout with prop build today

Manufactured an elastic holder for my player that fits nicely around my left bicep......its cool :)
Ok, back to losing weight and getting in shape.

On the eliptical today I felt a harsh twinge in my left knee.......I wasn't over working it though. But its been really cold here lately so I think I need to warm up more before I jump into the usual routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:28 pm 
The Pinup

So I'm up. I'll be leaving for the gym in about 15 minutes. I didn't really get to work with my PT this week, all due to myself. Tuesday when we had an appointment I got really sick. I don't know if we can attribute it to my period, the fact that I was mentally exhausted or the fact that I had just done 35 minutes of cardio and my PT puts me on a damn back under a really hard interval program and my heart rate jumped up to 210.

Yeah.

So........ I about threw up on the floor. She apologized profusley and gave me another session for free. She was very helpful to me and called to make sure I was okay most of the afternoon/evening. Her reason was she hadn't realized I was working that hard. She has since then changed my interval levels...and I can't do cardio anymore before I work out. I am fine if I do it after, but not before.

Anyway, the PT has been awesome but tough. I never realized how little I actually push myself. She pushes me. Troy has been making compliments that I'm far more streamlined looking lately.

I'm down 6 lbs since Octoberish, with a two week break in for christmas. But that isn't want excites me. The scale sucks when you first start weight trainig (or so my PT says). The cool thing is in the last two weeks, I've lost a total of 4 inches. That's awesome to me. My neck, my waist and hips. Nothing on my legs or arms yet....but I guess that is where I'm lifting the most.

Giving it time to work is the hardest thing. But I have to.

I've also been doing pilates 3 xs a week after my weight training (after meaning weights early morning pilates late evening) for some good stretching to make the muscles repair easier.

Hope everyone else is doing good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:53 pm 
Lifer

Good to hear everyone's replies!

Having a personal trainer or workout partner is fantastic! Back when I was competing I had a training partner and we would push each other well beyond our normal limits- there were several times that I would pass out on the floor of the washroom or aerobics room! Although I've come close- I've never puked from training though. :wink:

Finally managed to get to the gym three times this week. I actually haven't gone in three times since before Christmas! :shock:

I managed to do 285lbs in the decline press this week without a struggle (which felt great!). Every time I do heavy decline press I try to add five more pounds- so next time (in about 9 or 10 days) I'll be going for 290lbs! :)

So anyone interested my workout schedule goes something like this:

Week one:

Day 1- Chest (heavy), Biceps & Triceps (light)
Day 2- Off
Day 3- Back (heavy), Shoulders (light)
Day 4- Off
Day 5- Chest (light), Biceps & Triceps (heavy)
Day 6- Off
Day 7- Off

Week two:

Day 1- Back (light), (heavy)
Day 2- Off
Day 3- Chest (heavy), Biceps & Triceps (light)
Day 4- Off
Day 5- Back (heavy), Shoulders (light)
Day 6- Off
Day 7- Off

So basically I'm working a single bodypart 3 times in two weeks. My heavy workouts consist of weights that allow me to do no more that 3-6 reps (after a couple of warm up sets of course). Light days are 8-12 reps depending on the exercise.

No. I don't train legs. I don't train abs. And I don't do cardio. Ever. I hate that stuff. :lol:

I stay lean purely through dieting- although avoiding cardio is not the healthiest thing to do and I wouldn't recommend it. :wink:

I've been training three times a week for about a year now. I was going in four times a week before that- but I noticed my strength was either staying the same- or actually going down (one of the signs of overtraining). It was by accident that I started the three days routine: I had injured myself in Nov '06 and had to take some time off. When I came back I came in two times and then three times a week. Eventually I started to notice my strength improving beyond where it was before the injury- so I stuck with the three days a week program. :)

In the past I've trained as much as 6 to 7 days a week! However that was more than 13 years ago. Those days are long gone (and I'm not 25 anymore). :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:50 am 

I have been slacking a lot lately ...

But I DID fight a drunk the other day, and that was a workout!

I need to get back into a routine though, and soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:50 pm 
Lifer

Well I've been sick with a stomach flu since Monday night- haven't gone to the gym since Sunday- and totally lost my appetite! :(

I'm just starting to feel better this morning- however I might not get into the gym until either Sunday afternoon or Monday night (I'm visiting my Parents on Sunday).

Really frustrating as I had just gotten back into my routine. :evil:

Life goes on. :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:55 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Here's a pic from the aerials class Ang and I take. Thought I was strong till I tried to pull my ass up a rope the first time. Awesome workout, makes me feel like a superhero too.

Image[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:09 am 
Working title

Okay, sorry it took so long. Just been putting this off really.
Anyways, let's begin, shall we?

Here's me.

I've been running, doing pushups and situps this past week getting back into shape. However, as you can see, I'd like to put on some muscle. I know a few exercises for chest to get going, but are there any you people might recommend for abs, or biceps?

As well (Hope i'm not asking too many questions here), any tips on protein shakes or the like? Lewis said he was using creatine. Anyone with previous use?

Much obliged,
Collin "Ripper714"

Well, let's see what happens in 6 months.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:58 am 
Lifer

Colin how old are you now?

I would hold off on the creatine for the time being.

I used to use creatine since it first became commercially available back around 1995. It was uber expensive back then let me tell you! :wink:

Anyway- creatine is naturally found in red meat. Here is how it works...

(Warning- lengthy, rather scientific explanation ahead)

Your muscles run on a substance called ATP- Adenosine TriPhosphate.

To keep it simple this is a molecule made up of three "rings".

(It's obviously a lot more complicated than this if you look at the actual structure of an ATP molecule- but like I said I'm keeping it simple. :wink: )

When your muscles contract, they "use up" one of those "rings" in an ATP molecule. This converts it into ADP- Adenosine DiPhosphate:

ADP remains in your body until it can be converted back into ATP (this is done by the body through food).

When your body completely runs out of ATP, your muscles stop working (picture a marathon runner who collapses and cannot take another step).

So basically you have all this ADP floating around in your body waiting to be converted into ATP. What creatine does is it provides the nutrients (that "third ring") necessary to turn ADP back into ATP.

The great thing is- the ADP molecules usually outnumber the ATP molecules in your system. They are like an untapped energy source. Taking creatine will allow your body to convert much more ADP into ATP than is normally possible with an average diet.

What happens is you get a strength increase and an endurance increase. It can sometimes be pretty dramatic. I have put as much as 20lbs on my bench press in as little as two to three weeks using creatine.

One of the side effects is a gain in weight from water retention. Usually about 10lbs. This will most likely make you look bloated (this is the main reason I stopped using creatine back in Oct '06- haven't used it since).

Another thing is we still do not know what the long term effects of creatine use are (we are talking decades here). Creatine has been around since the 1950s but the public has only been using it for just over ten years. It can potentially be hard on your liver so year-round use is not recommended. You should cycle creatine on and off three months at a time (3 on 3 off).

The strength gain will diminish when you stop use. But with proper nutrition and regular training, you should be able to retain the muscle size gains you have made while on the stuff. The water retention/weight gain will go away as well.

I'll go into more about supplements later. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:14 am 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
Okay, good motivations here Kev and Co! Man alive is it ever!

I'm back into it. Was sicker than a dog the last 10 days, but I'm back on track now. Will become a regular vistor to my dojo, that'll help immensely. Bought a Apex Tower, it's in the living room. Great leg lifts for my abs. Startin' slow and working up. I've a bad shoulder from years ago, so pullups are nonexistant for me. Situps though...yeah!

The bicep dumbell tip Kevin posted was awesome! I'll be picking up a set of of them this week hopefully. My birthday is tomorrow (Feb. 11th), gotta get going and start pumping back into shape.

Thanks all, seeing what you're doing is inspiring! Areals?! Wow Chris and Ang, that's waaay cool! And Ash has a PT?! Holy Crap, that's cool!!

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next