The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:31 am 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
Awesome movie.......near impossible to watch in one sitting though.

Flu gone and family issues now dealt with so time to get back to the gym and back on track :)

Get well soon Pete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:23 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
Lost 1 1/2" on my waist. Belt at last notch now... 8)

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:45 am 
Working title

I think i'm well enough to start training again. I'll be running tonight, pushups, situps. Woot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:57 am 
Lifer

Me too. I was sick with whatever supervirus was going all over the World last week.

I worked out today after work. Did my light back and heavy shoulders routine.

Wednesday will be chest and arms, and Friday back and shoulders again.

I just have to make sure I get in three times a week. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:01 am 
Diplomatic Immunity

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.13371E1
I'll give it a go tonight I think. I don't feel snotty, though my throat's still a little sore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:41 pm 

I'll probably join this, sounds pretty cool, and I already got a headstart.
I work out every night and I already have good abs and biceps, so I'm in great shape.
-About 5'6, maybe a little more
-109 pounds of steel :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:19 pm 

Ok ill throw in a towel. As of 2-15-08 I was weighed the morning of my surgery and I clocked in at 218 i was 200lbs pre injury. I'm 6 foot even. When I screwed up my back last October, I was in constant pain and exercising was not a pleasant option. So i started drinking more to get to sleep and ease the pain since I cant take any pain medication and still be on flight status. Today I am 202.5. I made a conscious effort to limit my caloric intake and walk 3 miles a day as per doctors orders. I also cut out the booze since I didn't need it for the pain that is almost totally gone. As far as waist size I was struggling with my 36 inch jeans before and now my 35 inch jeans are loose. My goal is 185 by my birthday in may.
Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:34 am 

Awesome news.
Yeah.....glad to hear the booze has gone ;)

The tight jeans Cherie got me for Christmas are now loose, but still no weight loss.
I've actually stopped weighing myself now....it got too depressing <lol>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:56 am 
Lifer

The scale shouldn't be a huge concern. The mirror and how your clothes fit are what's important! :)

Muscle weighs more than fat- so you could very well be getting slimmer and yet not really notice a significant drop in bodyweight- that is if you are resistance training and gaining muscle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:18 am 

Well I've always been doing the same workout since we stopped rowing back in October.
I went off the rowing machine and onto the weights instead.
BUT, now I've gone back onto the rowing machine and away from the weights and I can feel my body is working more with the rowing. So now I'll continue the rowing for a few months.

I'm still on the eliptical though on the weight loss program which really makes me sweat. Plus I've put movies on my little player so I get 35 minutes of movie a day :)
I make sure its movies I like so I'm motivated to go each day to see what happens next. It's little things like that I find that really help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:01 pm 
Lifer

Well my wife is sick with Strep Throat (although it may just be a sore throat)...

Which means that I will become sick within a day or two. :(

Maybe we should rename this the "Sick As a Dog" thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:22 pm 
You tell me, man; I only work here.

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42161E1
Ssgt Burton wrote:
Maybe we should rename this the "Sick As a Dog" thread.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

anyways, i've started going to the gym! :shock:

two workouts so far this week...mainly arms and legs, with a little abdominal in the mix...

"When the going gets tough, the tough call on the Colonial Marines."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:44 am 
Lifer

Training Tip

Spotting

(Most of this post is going to be a rant on my part. I've been on the receiving end of two terrible spots in the same amount of days at the gym- this is some friendly advice so you don't make the same mistakes :wink: ).

So sooner or later if you are going to the gym on a regular basis, someone will enevitably ask you for a "spot".

What is a "spot"?

A person working out is about to do a set with a large amount of weight on an exercise that could be potentially dangerous (such as barbell bench presses- you could get trapped under the bar if you don't have enough strength to press the weight back up and return it to the rack). Getting caught under the bar can at best be embarrassing, and at worst put you in the hospital.

So they ask for a spot- they want you to stand behind them and assist them to push the weight up once they have run out of strength.

When they are unable to do another rep- you assist them to continue doing a couple of more repetitions, and then help them return the bar onto the rack. Done properly this can allow someone to do some "extra" repetitions that they normally would not have been able to do on their own.

Here are some tips and spotting etiquette:

If you have never given a spot before TELL THE PERSON THAT IS ASKING FOR ONE THIS! It is up to them to decide if they want to continue. An incorrect spot can injure someone just as much as no spot at all. That being said- it is quite rude to refuse to give someone a spot no matter what your experience level is.

KEEP YOUR FULL ATTENTION ON THE PERSON YOU ARE GIVING A SPOT TO! Don't be looking around staring at the girl on the Stairmaster. The person could need your help at any given second- don't let them down!

Actually giving a spot-- Let's take the bench press as an example:

A person starts doing bench presses and on the say the 5th repetition has run out of strength (usually the bar goes up a few inches, then starts going back down toward their chest). Most people appreciate a spot done like this- put your fingers under the bar and slowly help them continue to push the bar upward. Help them push the bar up at roughly the same speed that they were pushing the bar up on their own. When they are done help them put the bar back on the weight rack.

Couple of don'ts:

When someone needs your help during the set...

DO NOT PULL THE BAR UP WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT AND RACK THE WEIGHT THE MOMENT YOU SEE SOMEONE NEEDING ASSISTANCE!

I refer to this as the "OH SH!T!" response. Just because they cannot do another rep does not mean they have totally run out of strength- they can use your assistance to still do an extra couple of repetitions.

Also do not help so much that they can keep doing repetitions forever and decide to rack the weight because they feel you are doing all the work for them.

(Today I had a guy give me a spot- he was helping so much it felt like there was no weight on the bar).

DO NOT JUST STAND THERE WHILE THE PERSON STRUGGLES WITH EVERYTHING THEY'VE GOT TO PRESS THE BAR UP!

OR don't give them such a little amount of help that they waste everything they have left on that one repetition.

(The other day I asked some guy for a spot who I knew afterward had never given a spot before in his life. He just stood there and I actually had to say "HELP" when I was stuck for a good 5 or 10 seconds- which is an eternity when your under a tremendous amount of weight.)

Basically if you help them to continue to push the weight at the same speed they were doing it on their own- it should be just enough help to allow them to do 2 or 3 more reps (which is all most people want).

Now some etiquette on asking for a spot:

Ask politely. Do not ask while someone is in the middle of their set or spotting someone else at the moment.

DO NOT PUT SO MUCH WEIGHT ON THE BAR THAT YOU CANNOT DO AT LEAST ONE REPETITION ON YOUR OWN! If you need someone to do the work for you- you are simply not strong enough to do that amount of weight. Don't fool yourself. You could not only injure yourself- you could potentially injure the person giving you a spot. No one wants to break their back lifting a weight that is too heavy for the person doing the exercise.

(A while back I gave a guy a spot who had put 225lbs on an incline press. He was barely able to do the first rep on his own- it was about a half a rep. After four reps I was getting tired. He went on to try and do two more reps. The last rep was me doing a deadlift with 225lbs. I barely had enough strength to rack the weight for this idiot. I didn't say anything afterward even though I should have taken his head off. One day he is going to seriously hurt himself, but I will feel sorry for the poor sucker who is spotting him that day as he is likely to get hurt as well.) :evil:

Know you limits and tell the person giving you a spot how many reps you think you are capable of doing. For instance tell them "I should be able to do 3 or 4 reps and then I'll need some help for a couple more".

Spotting takes some finesse that will come with time and experience. Follow my tips and you will be able to spot like pro! :wink:

Post subject: Weigh Day
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:52 am 
The Pinup

Monday's are my weekly weigh in days.

As of this morning I'm down another 6.5lbs.

The last time I took body measurements was February 10th, since then I've dropped down the following measurements:

3.5 inches in my waist

.5 inches in my neck

1.25 in my hips.

~*~

Monday's I do

Leg Press @ 70lbs 3 sets of 12
Dumbell Squats @ 10lbs 3 sets of 12
Leg Extension @ 50lbs - 3 sets of 12
Hip Abductor @ 55lbs - 3 sets of 12
Hip Aductor @ 70lbs - 3 sets of 12
Pleaits (sp?) 10lbs - 3 sets of 12, super set with Hip Aductor.

I then do crunches, reverse crunches, bicyle crunches and a stretch curl.

Today I did 45 minutes of cardio. I've been trying to improve by jogging, I dont' do much of it. I'm chicken, but I did a minute of jogging for ever 5 minutes of brisk walking today.

Tomorrow will be an hour of cardio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:58 am 
Diplomatic Immunity

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.13371E1
This week was punctuated by a lack of both caffeine and sugar as I went cold turkey on Coke. I passed out at work. Joys.

So, need to ease down on that slower. Gym isn't going well. Need to take things easier to prevent injury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:57 pm 

Off to the gym tonight with a colleague from the rowing team.....only took them 5 months to actually use the gym <lol>

Went to AllCon at the weekend and had to get a comparison pic of me. You may recall the hidious picture of me from there last year...

Compared with a pic from this year.....its nice to see progress.
Not as much as I'd like.....but hey its better than nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:53 pm 
aka Cpl. Cartman

Alright, I guess I've waited long enough to join this thread (plus Tony said I should). I've been training for my Beautiful Death as a Spartan (below) for 6 mos, but am finding I need some different motivation to get through to D*C. Nothin' like fellow Marines to help kick my ass.

Stats:
Current Weight: 165
Height: 5'11"
BF%: 11.5%
Waist: 32
Arms: 15"
Goals: Trying to catch Kevin..., Bulk up, single digit BF%.

As of 3-11-08
ImageImageImage

Taken 3-8-08: Tonite, we dine in Hell!

"He's just a Grunt, no offense." "None taken..."

Last edited by Schwartz on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:58 pm 

Have to point out that they won the Costume Contest.....congrats Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:56 am 
Lifer

Schwartz wrote:
Goals: Trying to catch Kevin...

Now I'm motivated. 8)

Just what I needed. Thanks! :twisted:

And welcome to the thread Eric! Glad you're on board! :D

Post subject: 3/14/08
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:32 pm 
aka Cpl. Cartman

Today's WO: ("s" suffix means 2 dumbbells)
Warmup/Streching

Chest:
DB bench press - 5x5 @65s
EZ-Bar Pullovers - 5x5 @70
Shoulders:
DB Standing Military Press - 5x5 @ 40s
Bent over Lat raises - 2X10 @ 35s
Back:
Pullups - 10,8,6
Calves:
Standing Calf Raises - 5x12 @ 100

I'll also edit with an example day of my diet later.

"He's just a Grunt, no offense." "None taken..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:30 pm 

HOLY CR@P.....I LOST 6LBS

Kept off the scale for a week or so and just jumped on for sh*ts and giggles the other week.
Some days a week I'm rowing with a fellow rower from work......its much easier now to row more and to row harder....now doing 4000 metres instead of 2000 metres :)
I'm also eating more times in the day (fruit and cereal bars etc)

Sadly couldn't get to the gym all week except Monday due to Cherie working later (spring break). But plan to get back Tuesday onwards and to add to those 6lbs.

I think I'll keep doing the 4000 metres AND the 33 minute eliptical workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:34 pm 
Lifer

Good to see this thread again. :wink:

Had a couple of killer workouts last week (unfortunately that was it- 2 workouts :wink: :lol: ).

Anyway on Friday despite being Good Friday my gym was still open so I took full advantage of training on a day off work.

Usually I train after work around 5pm. I'm on my feet all day at my job, and have to lift several heavy boxes (30 to 50lbs) two or three times a day. So my strength is half tapped by the time I get to the gym.

With the day off work I knew that I'd be a bit stronger in the gym so I decided to go for a max press in the decline bench. On an average day I can do 2 reps with 275lbs and a third (or fourth) with a spotter.

Friday I did 295lbs! One clean rep unassited, and two reps with a spotter! Felt great!

Last year before D-Con I cracked the 300lb mark- but after D-Con having taken 2 straight weeks off of the gym, I had a lot of trouble getting back into it. My strength was down from not eating and training regularly. And as a result, my motivation was down as well.

I'm finally getting my form back after all this time! 315 here I come! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:21 pm 
He's just a grunt...

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.62147E1
SSgt Burton wrote:
I'm on my feet all day at my job, and have to lift several heavy boxes (30 to 50lbs) two or three times a day.

Man, I wish that were my case...try lifting that ALL DAY LONG..and running them to peoples doors and businesses...and yes, I said running!! :wink: UPS really keeps me going!!! And I get a good cardio workout to go with it...

Derek

RIP Pvt. Chris Chulamanis A14/TQ4.0.66993E7 You are missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:38 pm 
"Smart"-Ass

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.72156E1
Little late coming in on this, but better late than never I suppose!

Ever since I finished my active duty and went to the reserves, I've noticed declining performance at the fitness tests we have every six months. I've never been a very athletic person, but my metabolism's always kept me decently fit and in slim shape... now, however, it seems I'm startin' to get a bit soggy in the middle :P

Simply put, I want to get back in shape. I want the decent abs I used to have back again, and I wouldn't mind putting on a little more muscle in the process. I'm not looking to get ripped, but I've always been skinny like twig and a little more tone and muscle mass in the upper body would be a nice change. I will take and post some pictures as soon as I have time.

So, I want to set the following goals for myself:
- Nip the belly in the bud before it gets out of hand :P Ideally I would like to lose 1 to 2" off my midsection.
- Build upper body strength
- Particularly, I'd like to build up my arms and shoulders some in time for Dragon*Con in August! ;)
- Establish a jogging, biking, or treadmill routine that I can actually stick to, so I won't be gasping for breath at the end of every fitness test run.

I have two obstacles to face, currently: one, I don't have a washer and dryer of my own yet, so I run out of PT clothes pretty quick between trips to the laundromat. (That problem should be dealt with soon.) Two, every time I try to start exercising, it always ends up falling by the wayside. I have a hard time actually sticking with an exercise program. Does anyone have any tips for getting oneself on a program and actually staying with it?

Thanks for putting this thread up here, guys, this was a great idea.

M-56 Smartgun Operator, A/3Btn, II CMEF, USS Sephora

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:30 am 
Another glorious day in the Corps!

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.72147E1
Kev, what a great thread! Man! Okay, I'll post a pic I took when I went to the gym at the station... I've been working on triceps and whatnot so took a quick pic... nothing as detailed as you other guys have done though.

Next for me though is more cardio; jogging/biking. I'm not eating anywhere near enough lately either (2 meals a day generally) due to being sick, in a car wreck, down a bit... I'm kind of a mess lately with my eating habits. I need to fix that.

"To err is human; to forgive, divine... Neither of which is Marine Corps policy."
"In Onoraigh Ar Marbh" ~ We Honor Our Fallen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next