The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Bonhams catalog
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:50 pm 

Just recently scored an original mint copy of the Bonhams auction catalog.
It's much nicer than I had thought.
I had always envisioned it as a few pieces of paper, stapled together, and some photo copier images.
This is actually a nice book, for an auction.
Heavy stock paper pages, with the front and back covers, and the few photos inside, on glossy stock.
- 32 pages.
A lot of interesting stuff went on sale that day.

Auction01.jpg
Auction01.jpg [ 340.25 KiB | Viewed 3417 times ]

Auction02.jpg
Auction02.jpg [ 346.28 KiB | Viewed 3417 times ]

Auction03.jpg
Auction03.jpg [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 3417 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:55 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Weird that 'marine' is holding a baton [I think?] ... is that listed / included in lots 109-114?

Post subject: Re: Bonhams catalog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:18 pm 

In the photo, on the page just to the left of the Marine, is a San Francisco police uniform from "A view to a kill".
The written description for that uniform includes a "nightstick" (Which he is holding).
I am believing it is the very same one, but now held by the marine, as a prop for their photo.
None of the Aliens lots include any mention of a stick or club.

Auction04.jpg
Auction04.jpg [ 195.77 KiB | Viewed 3384 times ]

Post subject: Re: Bonhams catalog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:47 pm 

There were 32 Alien and Aliens auction lots that day, with the majority from the second film.
Surprised we have not seen more images of this stuff in the years since.

According to the descriptions, among all the other Alien(s) pieces, it appears there were 8 full sets of armor, 12 helmets in total, and 35 sets of BDUs'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:28 am 
GarageGeek

I cannot believe the photo of the guys wearing frosts armor. They couldnt even attempt to fit that helmet on him? they didnt know that the character doesnt have a billy club? It all seems so mishandled and disrespectful. like sacred objects were being handled by children. on. just more proof that this movie was special, so many incompetent people around its a miracle it turned out so good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:15 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
As the auction was held just under a year after Aliens was released (in the UK) I doubt anyone knew of the potental it would have, and back then the film would have done it's theatrical run for a few weeks and then disappear.

Home video was very much in it's infancy back then so interest didn't pick up in any siginificant way until the VHS release. While Aliens was available on the rental market for a while I remember it being released for sale on VHS costing £75 or so, which is the equvalent to just under £150 today. Luckily the home video market saw sense and employed economy of scale!

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:50 pm 
GarageGeek

its so tragic. Do you recall what kind of prices things went for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:31 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Here you go.

Now remember this auction was in the very early days when prop and costume collecting was in it's infancy - folks back then had no idea you could even buy this stuff and there hadn't been many, if not any previous sales like it so the collecting world wasn't like it is today at all.

I remember back in the 1990s that anything being bought or sold for over £500.00 was considered "silly money"; cut to today when an X-Wing model sells for over a million dollars and you can see how much the world has changed!

104. Lieutenant Gorman: A United States Colonial marine parade dress uniform, comprising the short sleeve khaki shirt with stand-collar, U.S.C.M. shoulder and breast badges, green trousers with belt, green cap with badge - £75.00

105. A similar uniform - £50.00

106. Lieutenant Gorman: A United States combat uniform, comprising the green shirt with stand-collar, combat jacket with shoulder and breast badges, trousers and green webbing belt, fatigue hat and combat boots - £50.00

107. A similar uniform - £40.00

108. Lieutenant Gorman: A U.S.C.M. parade dress shirt and trousers, together with combat jacket, belt and fatigue hat - £45.00

109. United States Colonial Marine Armoured Combat Uniform for HICKS: comprising the combat shirt and trousers with U.S.C.M. badges, body amour front and back plates, crotch piece, leggings, helmet, boots and equipment belt, together with grey and khaki tee shirts - £190.00

110. A similar uniform for HUDSON - £160.00

111. A similar uniform for DIETRICH - £170.00

112. A similar uniform for HICKS - £180.00

113. A similar uniform for FROST - £190.00

114. Three similar uniforms for APONE, WIEZBOWSKI and CROW, complete except lacking legging pieces (3) - £260.00

115. U.S.C.M. combat jackets, trousers and helmets for HICKS, FROST, APONE and DIETRICH (4) - £110.00

116. U.S.C.M. combat jackets and trousers for HICKS, FROST, and APONE together with two others (5) - £105.00

117. A similar lot for HICKS, CROWE and WIEZBOWSKI (5) - £60.00

118. A collection of fifteen U.S.C.M. combat jackets and trousers (15) - £130.00

119. Ripley/Sigourney Weaver: A one-piece space suit worn by Sigourney Weaver as the character Ripley, comprising the white space suit, pair of white boots and white helmet together with duty uniform - £320.00

120. A similar two-piece space suit with breast module worn by TOM SKERRIT - £65.00

121. A similar two-piece space suit with breast module and black helmet worn by JOHN HURT, together with off-duty uniform - £190.00

122. A similar two-piece blue space suit and breast module worn by VERONICA CARTWRIGHT - £95.00

123. Spunkmeyer: A U.S.C.M. space pilot's uniform - £160.00

124. A similar uniform - £95.00

125. A similar uniform for FERRO - £100.00

126. Ripley/Sigourney Weaver: A flying suit, comprising the grey battle blouse and trousers, grey tee shirt and brown leather American W.W.II style pilot's jacket - £140.00

127. Ripley/Sigourney Weaver: A similar lot with a one-piece flying suit - £130.00

128. Ripley/Sigourney Weaver: A similar lot with a one-piece flying suit - £140.00

129. A collection of Alien costumes including those of NEWT/Carrie Henn and harry Dean Stanton (a lot) – £120.00

130. Space Salvage Uniform: The radiation suits, comprising one-piece yellow suit with gloves and boots, leggings, helmets and face masks - £40.00

131. A similar uniform - £45.00

132. A similar uniform - £50.00

133. A collection of ten citizens' costumes as worn on the planet (10) - £50.00

134. A similar lot (10) - £30.00

135. A similar lot (10) - £30.00

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:42 pm 
GarageGeek

oh my god wow, thanks, this is amazing! this is hard to read. If I had millions I'd track everything down and do a touring museum exhibit. Al those full marine kits around 190 that's like 500 now if it were us dollars. What I cant understand is how so many things were sold in good condition and have become destroyed over the years. like someone gave it to a kid as a Halloween costume, I wish I knew the stories of the abuse and neglect these costumes received. They should all be fully photographed and documented by now.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:30 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
seven wrote:
oh my god wow, thanks, this is amazing! this is hard to read. If I had millions I'd track everything down and do a touring museum exhibit. Al those full marine kits around 190 that's like 500 now if it were us dollars. What I cant understand is how so many things were sold in good condition and have become destroyed over the years. like someone gave it to a kid as a Halloween costume, I wish I knew the stories of the abuse and neglect these costumes received. They should all be fully photographed and documented by now.

True. Not all the people who purchased these things were huge Aliens fans like us . When stuff got moved and replaced by new and "in" things they got thrown in a box. Storage was not always a top priority. These things came in and out of "fashion". When any movie gets a reboot or a sequel and things get pulled out of the "moth balls", they do not always look their best. In storage there all sorts of disasters such as busted pipes and weather. I know I have had items in storage ruined by leaking items in the facility. It is sad but if you look at the restorations that Tom Spina does it happens in all genres. Hell Pinewood Studios would just throw stuff away after a production in a dumpster or destroy it in a burn pile on the lot. It is sad but it happened a lot back than. Just cause it is important to us does not mean everyone saw it as that. Look at Bob Burns' items and they were in his house.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.