The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Gas Prices..........need some help???
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:57 pm 
Hopefully this will save a few of you some pennies

Cheap Gas Finder
[img]http://www.colonialmarines.net/Banner.jpg[/img]

Post subject: Re: Gas Prices..........need some help???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:20 am 
Well, for my ZIP code they only list the more expensive gas stations. None of the stations I go to are listed and it's not like they're no-name stations, go figure.

But it looks like you can get gas pretty cheap in Lewistown, MT ($2.029/gal).

Todd
Disney Home Defense Systems - "Because a well defended home is
the happiest place on Earth."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:45 am 
Gas in Atlanta is up around $3.00 right now, and the cheapest I got from this one is about $2.79, in that area. So, that's a pretty good savings really.

Thanks for posting it.

Njc---------

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:05 am 
We're now feeling the cost increase passed down from the oil companies as they begin to switch from MTBE to ethanol fuel additives. What's better? Expect your mileage to go down, and now fuel costs more

Ethanol produces less power when burned than gasoline, but has a higher octane rating...so it also resists burning more than gasoline (roughly 120 octane compared to average of 91-98 for gasoline). Gasoline engines have compression ratios and fuel and spark maps tuned for the characteristics of standard gasoline - so when the fuel produces more or less power than anticipated, problems arise.

A few numbers for comparison...

Standard gasoline produces 115000 BTU's per gallon.
MTBE produces 93500 BTU's per gallon.
Ethanol produces 75000 BTU's per gallon.

Ever notice your fuel mileage drop in the winter months? That's when most stations switch to the 15% MTBE-mix fuel, which is roughly 2.8% less efficient.

Now the push is for nationwide 10% ethanol mix, which is 3.4% less efficient.

So in closing...expect your fuel costs to be higher than last year.

MTBE had claimed environmental benefits, but no one talked about the water contamination it produced. Ethanol should be less harmful than MTBE, but one has to wonder...if we burned non-oxygenated gasoline, our mileage would go up since our engines would be operating more efficiently- therefore reducing pollution - and as a side effect we will be burning less gas, ALSO reducing pollution. What do you guys think?

Sorry for the rant, but this has been REALLY pissing me off.
Exo2

My Props Website

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:13 am 
I didn't get the e-mail saying to boycott the Shell, Exon and Mobil stations but I must say I think it may help if enough people do it.

Besides I find 7 11 has the cheapest gas out here.
Let me guess though, they buy the gas from them right?

I'm with you though Matt.
ROYALLY P*SS*D OFF!!!

See ya next weekend though ;)
[img]http://www.colonialmarines.net/Banner.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:38 am 
Where I am, gas is $6.08/gal. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:00 pm 
Ouch Pug ouch, ours droped last night from 2.99 to 2.89 I guess a dimes better than nothing... :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:01 pm 
Why does it not surprise me that the highest U.S. national price is in Hawai'i at $3.709/gal? I guess that's the price you pay for paradise. ;)

Quote:
Quote:Ethanol produces less power when burned than gasoline, but has a higher octane rating...so it also resists burning more than gasoline (roughly 120 octane compared to average of 91-98 for gasoline). Gasoline engines have compression ratios and fuel and spark maps tuned for the characteristics of standard gasoline - so when the fuel produces more or less power than anticipated, problems arise.
Ah yes Exo... but my 12:1 compression big block race motor thrives on that stuff! Sell the family car and buy a high performance race car... yeah, that's the ticket! ;)

Quote:
Quote:...one has to wonder...if we burned non-oxygenated gasoline, our mileage would go up since our engines would be operating more efficiently- therefore reducing pollution - and as a side effect we will be burning less gas, ALSO reducing pollution. What do you guys think?
Well, as much logical sense as that makes, the oil moguls wouldn't want anything to do with it because they would sell less gas, making them less profit.

One could equate it to the similar logic of the big tobacco companies... they will fight tooth and nail against any change if it will affect their bottom line in a negative way -- no matter how many of their consumers may be adversely affected, even including death from direct use of their product.

Yep... this is pissing a lot of people off, including myself.
Rick "Ripstick"

[img]http://www.Route73.com/USCM/images/Ripstick_Aliens_Legacy_Banner_2006.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:25 pm 
Quote:
Quote: I guess that's the price you pay for paradise.

it is ..;)

[img]http://www.scifimilitary.com/MAA/SFMsig.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:24 pm 
actually one of the reasons for the cost in Hawaii, everything is imported to the islands, cars, fuel etc etc

i remember a while back, some gas company was selling like 10% of it';s products to the islands but some how the island chain was makeing more then 50% of said companys profit......:evil:

pain can be avoided by not caring

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:28 pm 
Switch to driving diesel and stuff a 50/50 mix of deisel and vegetable oil in the tank, nobody's put vegetable oil prices up in months. Keeping the mix 50/50 also helps prevent your car from smelling like a fish and chip shop.
Four more weeks and out man! Four more weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:51 am 
Yes, I've read about this before, as well as propane conversions for gasoline engines.

Please do NOT just put vegetable oil in your diesel.

Yes, you CAN run a diesel on vegetable oil, but you're better off converting it to biodiesel. Vegetable oil is much more viscous and will crystalize, and the particles will tend to be below the size your fuel filter will stop (in the 20-30 micron range)...however diesel injector pumps have a 5-10 micron rating.

If you want to do this, look into a reputable SVO conversion kit that keeps the oil warmed over 150-ish degrees F.

If you try to run it on just vegetable oil, you'll be looking at a trashed injector pump and injectors, blown turbocharger, or siezed engine.
Exo2

My Props Website