The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Were there model shop photos from ALIENS
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:38 pm 
GarageGeek

I put this in the Off-topic section because I suspect it is a dead end.

Were there ever any photos or record of kitbashing shoulder lamps and other props. I assume there was an assembly line of some kind going on. Tables of alarm boxes and reflectas, helmet cams being pulled from molds ect.

Has anything ever surfaced regarding this or are there any names of people involved who would be worth looking up?
My interest is in personal accounts, anecdotal stuff from people making the decisions and problem solving,engineering and photos of the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
I’m pretty sure there’s nothing out there. Many years ago I met Terry Reed who made a lot of the hand props such as the Motion Trackers. I did ask him if he kept a list of all the parts he used but it turns out that he had to quickly make them over a weekend so that they could be ready on set by Monday morning. He used mostly Hama camera parts to dress them because the nearest camera store was a Hama stockist. There really wasn't much more planning than that.

Also back then there wasn’t the interest in behind the scenes ‘making of’ material as there is now. Lastly of course folks didn’t have digital cameras so taking photos was more limited than it is now.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:40 pm 
GarageGeek

Awesome info! side note: does anyone know if the metal bracket on the shoulder lamp itself is a real world part or just bent metal? I keep breaking aluminum sticks getting the bends right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:51 am 

If you mean the bracket on the lower face of the alarm box, I've always been certain it is the receiving portion of a sliding bolt latch.
And, considering it has the decorative corners, I tend to believe it is meant for an exterior wooden fence gate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:18 am 
GarageGeek

yeah TS that's the one. Ive seen some with the decorative corners you're referring to. I dodnt realize they were the screen used ones. Now I cant find the picture. guess I'll be on the hunt for some brackets now. I wonder if the part riveted to the armor was another piece of the latch kit.