The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Rolling with the punches! Adapting, surviving!
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:11 am 
As happens some times in the entertainment business, I lost a really good job because the company funding the project found a cheaper way to make it happen, with no real eye on the finished product, just the bottom line.

I was intending to go to work for Disney/VH1 on a new TV show last week. It was a talent search based show, and I was to run camera and produce segments, and we'd be out on the road in a tour bus for many months collecting footage. The job was to pay me a lot of money, and I'd of come out of the project a wealthy man.

Well, as luck would have it, they found a person who had already gone out on the road and done this independently, and they are simply going to use this other person's footage, and make a show out of it. Saving them a couple million bucks - I'm sure. Can't say I blame them, or that I am upset. Just bummed out to not be able to be part of this project, and to lose out on a chance to make some very good money.

Do I think we'd of produced a great show? A show that would have been better and more interesting that what this other person has to offer? You bet I do. My main arguement was control. Having control from the ground up may have cost more, but in the end it would have produced an excellent show. Now they are stuck with whatever this fellow has, which was shot on a shoestring budget.

It's an odd thing. I had set my mind that I would be out on the road for the next year. We moved from Tampa to Atlanta, I had back surgery, I had some very serious medical issues and took the time to deal with them in advance. Now I don't have this great adventure to look forward to any more. :( I was planning to post many a picture based message right here!

I am in Atlanta looking for work this week. I have some pretty good prospects here, CNN, Turner, the Cartoon Network, many indy producers and Tv studios here. Plus the film ATL has shown that a popular film can be shot here, so there is a bit of a boom happening right now. Lots of local film guys trying to make ATL ripoffs.

I have quite a bit of unfinished business back in Florida though, including a kids film I was hired to write and direct, but that's not until the fall. In the mean time, I need to make some rent money!! hahaha.:lol: just rollin with the punches, and keepin on keepin on. All those cliches.

I still haven't had occasion to visit Airsoft Atlanta, or to find myself a decent comic book shop yet either. Now, since it looks like I will be an official resident of Georgia, I will have to do these things.
Njc------------
edit to fix my typo's! I'm sure I missed a few.
Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=noeland>Noeland[/url] at: 5/18/06 6:13 pm

Post subject: Re: Rolling with the punches! Adapting, surviving!
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:23 am 
Damn Noeland- sorry about the bad luck. :(

I remember you telling us about your TV road trip show a while back.
Kevin

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDnAloXyJBkYBZV7s*Kj9!1Bc8b0FJ!WEmX8BpHJk8yRyABH697OsLy1Bm1knQrHcDDdHqDnRAmyoDB6vy6w!ASmCM57J8W6cyCxY8Y84TWwwCw7UVNAA/Burton%20004.JPG[/img]

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won."

Post subject: Re: Rolling with the punches! Adapting, surviving!
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:53 pm 
Sorry to hear that Noeland, and while I have not experienced a dissapoint job-wise on the scale you have, I have had a job pulled out from under me at the last minute after having put in notice at a previous job place.

Sounds like you have a good mind set about the whole thing, and look at it this way, it did motivate you to go and get some health issues fixed, now you can forge ahead into whatever comes your way!
"How lucky are the few who know where they belong."