The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: United Flight 93
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:27 pm 
i just got back from watching this movie and i must say it was made in great taste. when everyone was getting out of their seats not one person said anything

i would suggest people watch this movie, it doesn't make anyone to be a hero or anyone to be a villian(more then they are)

me and my father saw the movie and there was a slience driveing home that was a rather somber moment

pain can be avoided by not caring

Post subject: Re: United Flight 93
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:57 am 
I have not seen this movie.
In fact I only heard about it a couple days ago.

But, I can't help but wonder how much truth based fact is in this movie.

From what I understand (on 4.5 year old memory)
there were a number of cell phone calls from passengers to their homes, The cockpit recorders, and a few transmissions w/ demands from the Hijackers.

Is this enough to make a 2 hour factual representation of what happened?

I'm not sure if I'll see it.
The idea of people making loads of money off of others suffering kinda' creeps me out.

On a similar note, Oliver Stone in now making a movie about two police officers who rushed to the scene of the WTC.
He is doing this against the wishes of both of these officers families.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:06 am 
i have the t.v. movie version on tape. i think they could only change the "graphic" aspect for the theatres. but i tell you i did cry alot from the t.v. version. the t.v. version goes well into the family life of the passengers. being late for the flight, possably missing it. there plans for taking the flight back. and the worst of all saying prayers and goodbyes. yes it is very very easy to "take" up 2 hours for this film. and i think like 98-99 percent of the familys "said o.k." again to this second version just as they did for the t.v. version. as for making tons of money on this film thats why there isnt any "A" list actors in it. its made to be as real and as accurate as possable. i think its more of a "memorial" then a money maker. and there were alot of phone calls and alot of tower chatter to "construct" and make this film. you just wont actually get to hear how much in "real" life. until maybe 20 more years from now.
P.F.C. J. LEE U.S.C.M.C. A08/TQ1.0.101316X3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:46 am 
I won't go and see it.

The 1st anniversary I saw the 'made for TV reconstruction' in and it bought me to tears.
On the 2nd anniversary I saw the next made for TV movie and it bought me to tears.

Yes I know if I go and see this movie its going to bring me to tears.......but I've had my tears. I've had my sorrow and I've had my deepest sympathy and prayers for the family and loved ones of those lost.

I've moved on and am looking to the future. I don't want to dwell on it anymore. By no means have I forgotten what happened that terrible day........but I can only let it consume myself (and my wife) for so long.
but reviews are saying its been done it great taste and is more of a memorial than a movie. Thats great.

I do like the fact a percentage of the profits is going to help those in need after 9/11 though.
[img]http://www.colonialmarines.net/Banner.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:56 am 
Many films have been made about real life tragedies, and have not invoked the anger this one has. What really separates this from other "True Story" films?

I understand the visceral emotion this story will invoke. I understand that this may feel more "real" than most true life films, as it happened before our very eyes, and not long ago.

The events of 9/11 still echo in our lives, and damn, no one should forget that day.

I was one of the millions who watched the second tower get hit on live TV. I was at work, and I looked at my boss and said "You wait, this is a terrorist attack." We'd been arguing that the first plane being a mistake, and a pilot was drunk or the plane malfunctioned.

I was one of the millions with a bloodlust after 9/11 wanting nothing more than revenge. The more photos of missing family members I saw on Tv, the more stories that rolled in to news services (who made millions off of these tragedies - by the way) and got aired, the deeper my bloodlust got. Like millions of us, I was beyond angry, confused, and heart broken.

Will watching a film about flight 93 bring all those negative emotions back? Yeah, it probably will. I think this is why films about 9/11 scare people. And this film just has that feeling of not pulling it's punches, doesn't it? People don't want to re-live the emotions they felt on that day. It's all very scary.

Tony, I do understand your comment about being "consumed" by the events of that day. Many people couldn't go to work, and fell into such a deep depression they needed to seek professional therapy. So, no one is going to hold it against you for passing on this one. If it's too much for ya man, it's too much for you.

In my opinion this is a story that needs to be told. I never saw the TV films about this, I really don't watch that much Tv, and Tv movies of the week never really floated my boat.

So, I will do my best to focus on the positive aspects. I will take the people on flight 93 and honor them as best as I can. They rose above the situation, and did not take it lying down. They did what all of us on this board think we'd like to be able to do in this situation. Fight back, take control, and save some lives, even if they are not our own.

Njc-----------------------

Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=noeland>Noeland[/url] at: 4/28/06 10:59 pm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:44 pm 
Be back with my review in a few hours,

OK, Wow, where do I start.
Facinating, like watching a car crash unfolding and not being able to do anything.

Great movie, I worked with Todd Beamer at Oracle. It is a nice tribute to the people that fought back.

Tough to watch, I wanted to hate the terrorists but couldn't. I wish it had had a hollywood ending but obviously did not.

I think a lot of people are forgetting, this is a good reminder.
What are you doing with a gun in space?Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=joeranger>joeranger[/url] at: 4/30/06 6:58 pm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:49 pm 
No desire to go see this or any of them. Too close to home for me. We could see the smoke for days from my house and on the way to work. From my town and surrounding towns we lost so many that day. Like I said ...to close to home.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:05 am 
you know, i can't speak for people like steve who saw this in person but like Noeland said, i know exactaly where i was the day of the events, i woke up directly after the 2nd tower got hit, i saw the pentagon get hit, i then drove to class(i was well into my college classes at the time) on my way in the 1st tower fell

there is so much i can say about what happened but i choose not too, but this movie says so much yet doesn't make u feel u have to think one way about that day.....people say it was like Pearl Harbor, well i can tell you the diffrence between that attack and this one was the plain and simple fact Peral was all military and 9/ll was just civvies being attacked. they didn't deserve it, this was because someone couldn't "let" others be who they are they had to force their opnions on others

imo there are 3 type of ppl in this worls

1. the quiet type that do their job and don't care for recagnation
2. the loud mouth that wants everything but doesn't want to do anything to get it
3. the fanatic that makes it their point in life to make others feel and do exactly what they want/feel

pain can be avoided by not caringEdited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=anubianwarrior>Anubian Warrior[/url] at: 5/2/06 8:38 am

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:37 pm 
Here is that Oliver Stone film I mentioned...

www.wtcmovie.com

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:08 am 
Watched it today

Unbelieveable...

No offence Joe, but nobody needs reminding... its not like we're about to forget any time soon. Like JKF for other generations, everybody knows where they were and what they were doing...

This wasn't a bad film... just in bad taste...

Maybe 20 years down the line this film would be easier to swallow. Just seems to me like they are cashing in on a national tradegy.

It also helps to fuel the propaganda that the passengers took the plane down instead of any military involvement. Despite the fact that it is obivious to most that the U.S. air force took that last hijacked jet out, before it reached populated land, or its most probabe target, The White House.

Jumping quickly on to this band wagon... Oh dear... WTC...

It looks well made, but in the taste sense... even worse than United 93... The fact that time and money has been spent on creating CGI of this horrific disaster disturbs me slightly...

Nicholas Cage, shame on you... what were you thinking.

I ask you, would a film about Pearl Harbour, 5 years after it had happened, have been acceptable? No, it would not. So why is this?
Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=treeboar>treeboar[/url] at: 5/25/06 5:18 pm

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:21 am 
Morale I'm guessing. Keeps spirits up for the troops.

Kind of like Hot shots 2 around the time of the Gulf War.....morale if not propoganda <lol>
[img]http://www.colonialmarines.net/Banner.jpg[/img]Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=tonyandcherie>tonyandcherie[/url] at: 5/25/06 6:22 pm

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:40 am 
Actually, a host of films were out within *three* years of Pearl Harbor, some of which were actually nigh-on comedies.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:22 am 
Very true. If we take Pearl Harbor as being a parallel to 9/11, then films like "December 7th" (1943) would be a fair parallel to United 93, especially in their docu-drama presentation.