The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Convention Advice
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:38 pm 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.52160G1
I've never attended a convention before, but I will certainly attempt to go to one (or many) once I'm capable. I'd like to know what goes into preparation for attending one, getting autographs and pictures with people you'd like to meet, and what else goes on aside from the costuming and meeting actors.

I also get anxious in crowded rooms fairly easily, and the last thing I want to do is stand in front of someone's table looking at the floor and unable to say a word. Any advice for dealing with that?

Post subject: Re: Convention Advice
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:51 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
TheSailingRabbit wrote:
I've never attended a convention before, but I will certainly attempt to go to one (or many) once I'm capable. I'd like to know what goes into preparation for attending one, getting autographs and pictures with people you'd like to meet, and what else goes on aside from the costuming and meeting actors.

I also get anxious in crowded rooms fairly easily, and the last thing I want to do is stand in front of someone's table looking at the floor and unable to say a word. Any advice for dealing with that?

Really it is hard to say because every convention is a little different. Overall I would say...

-Prep: Zero required. Buy a ticket/pass/badge for the days you want to go. Show up as if you were showing up to the mall. Some people build costumes to wear, but more than half are in street clothes. If you want to get dressed up and put in more effort, that is cool but hardly required.

-As far as things to do: Honestly, I find them to be like big flea markets. You wander around down the isles until something interests you.

*Celebrities and autographs: There are usually tables for each celeb. Generally you get in line in front of their table to meet them and they charge you for an autograph (8x10 pictures to pick from are almost always provided). Most will take a 'selfie' with you (usually for an additional fee). Usually prices are posted 'menu' style as you walk up. Some very popular or very expensive celebs may require you buy voucher tickets ahead of time. Others offer professional photo op sessions for a fee (usually purchased in advance, but often available all convention). Unfortunately "meeting celebrities" seems to get more expensive every year, but they are usually easily accessible (for a fee! :wink: ).

*Panels and ""Q&A"s. Most cons will have dedicated rooms and time slots assigned for a 'question and answer' period with a celeb or a presentation from a fan-group/professional speaker on a great number of topics. Anything from "how-to" presentations to topical discussions about entertainment or hobbies go on there. Grab a seat and listen to your subject of choice. Sections of the building or rooms are often themed. Larger conventions have a "kid section" with kid topics and games. The huge ones might even break entire halls of rooms down by genre. Its good to check the schedules ahead of time, but schedules are always posted outside the panel rooms. Usually you can find something interesting on the fly. Be warned celeb Q&A rooms usually have lines well in advance.

* Vendors. OH SO MANY VENDORS. Artists and collectible retailers are wall to wall. They all want to sell their stuff. Posters, jewelry, paintings, action figures. All that stuff. Just a big day of shopping really. There are more vendor tables than any other type

* Fan tables. Usually people trying to grow their numbers and spread the word of their group. Often they show off the best of what they do. Sometimes they have interactive displays like photo booths or games to play.

* Costume contest. Most will have a costume contest. You can participate by signing up or simply grab a seat and enjoy the show.

* "Late night" events vary wildly. Often larger ones will have some type of themed dance party with a DJ. Some have concerts. Some have more "panels" that simply feature more mature themes. Some get real wild like hosting live burlesque shows or live action Rocky Horror picture show performances. And some...kick everyone out at 6pm and want nothing to do with that stuff! The biggest ones like "DragonCon" literally run 24 hrs a day with events. It all depends on the show and the town.

Overall I usually hit a couple a year and always bring my wife and 2 kids. My parents have even attended a few events with us before. Lots of fun to be had for all ages.

Unfortunately I don't have much advice for the anxiety in crowds. Usually the better the event, the more crowded it will be. The only thing I can say on that is that you really don't need to interact with anyone if you don't want to. The events are built to make YOU, the patron, happy. There shouldn't be any reason to feel like you have to contribute or do something if you aren't feeling it. (I know, sometimes easier said than done, right?)

Post subject: Re: Convention Advice
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:13 pm 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.52160G1
Truthfully, I've never heard of DragonCon till joining this website, so I'd definitely like to learn more.