The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Depression and keeping busy.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:41 pm 
Officers - Making simple s**t hard since 1775

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.52135E1
Is it better to try and keep busy when you're feeling low, or should you just veg out and try to do as little as possible until your mind feels right?

I used to believe in the former, but right now I've got so much going on that I'm now feeling down because I'm getting overwhelmed.

What's anybody else's views?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:48 pm 
Giraffes. Talk to me.

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.52137E1
My experience is that distracting yourself can help get through a brief period, but depression steals my energy and I can end up just feeling tired and unable to deal with anything.

This is why my helmet project and the facehugger kits are still in the boxes.

It's rough, are you getting any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:39 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Definitely try to keep active but don't overwhelm yourself. You've not explained what it is that you've got on but keep at it and try not to avoid getting things done. Some of my students are so busy telling me how busy they are that they end up never getting anything done.

If your feeling down is seasonal/winter based try to get as much exposure to daylight as possible.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:19 pm 

Thanks for the replies, lets just say I have too many hobbies.

I run a website, which has a couple of social media channels so I'm quite busy publishing news and reviews on that then crossposting them to social media (life was simpler when people just visited your website, not watched your social media pages to see when something new came along)

Plus I have a photography page and have a backlog of pics I'm trying to upload, I also help Matt run the UKCM FB page (99% of the pics and posts on there are by me). So seem to spend an awful long time online sorting stuff out.

Then in real life obviously theres my costuming hobby, though the con season is now at an end, at one point I had a group of cons one after the other, and as I only get every other weekend off from work, there was like a 6 week period where I had no weekends to just sit and do nothing or do other things. At the mo, my armour is still waiting to be modded, but don't have time as I have a ton of DIY projects on the go which I didn't get time to do over the summer and this is on top of working a full time job with awkward hours, plus day to day housework.

Just seem spend my days off trying to catch up on things.

To answer your other questions, yes I do feel worse at this time of year, sadly the weather is not very favourable for going outside at the mo. Also I really hate Xmas time, just makes me feel isolated and alone. Been trying to stay away from FB lately as all the Xmassy themed posts make me want to puke to be honest, but as I have a number of social media pages I need to update regularly thats not easy.

As for getting help, last lot of anti-depressants I tried (admittedly this was several years ago) didn't do any good and counselling worked for about 5mins then started to feel lousy again soonafter.

Anyway, sorry to bore you all with my tales of woe!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:30 am 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.52138E2
SimonT wrote:
I do feel worse at this time of year, sadly the weather is not very favourable for going outside at the mo. Also I really hate Xmas time, just makes me feel isolated and alone. Been trying to stay away from FB lately as all the Xmassy themed posts make me want to puke to be honest...

I completely get it. We are bombarded expectations and social "norms" and if we choose to NOT conform, we are looked down upon and asked why we are such a Scroog/Grinch/(add cliche here). Yet no one stops to ask themselves why they insist on doing things/being EXACTLY like everyone else.

And those NOT used to 24/7 grey skies will never fully understand.

You have at least one commiserator in me. Stay strong brother... we got this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 am 

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.02140E1
try to get a hobby that takes a lot of time I work on new trooping kits or props at the min im trying to tidy an old star wars prop astromech and add afew simple electrics to it for a photo prop at cons just gives me something to do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:41 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
That's the problem with depression....you need to keep busy as that keeps you from dwelling on things, but when depression hits, you just don't feel like doing much of anything! I have problems with this myself. I've tried boat loads of anti depressents over the course of 18 years and just now finally found one that seems to work without any nasty side effects.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 pm 
"Have you met me?"

Service Number: A03/TQ0.0.62144E1
That's a hard one. I lost my mom a year ago Wednesday, andshe was in and out of the hospital for four months before that (cancer diagnosis and brain surgeries). Add that loss to a cross country move, being unemployed for a year, and already having depression underneath all that...it's been tough. I'm finding it hard to even keep up with my usual hobbies and I haven't even considered working on my marine in several years. I'll hoping that the spring will see me in a better place.

UKCM FOREIGN LEGION:
"DEVIANT DRAGOONS"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 pm 

Well now Xmas is well and truly over and we're into the new year I'm starting to feel a bit more human (but only slightly).

Post subject: Re: Depression and keeping busy.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 am 

That is correct, the busier you are the less you feel being depressed.