The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: The Predator movie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:37 pm 

Is anyone going to see this?
I am going tomorrow to see a 2D screening of IMAX.
I don't have my hopes up that much, the first reviews are not that positive.
Also assembled a quick Predator Timeline on my site in preparation for the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:49 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I do plan to watch it. It probably won't be opening weekend though.
The whole "there is an even bigger stronger one out there!" sequel/reboot foundation is pretty played out and I don't expect it to be good.

I do see a bit of irony here though, as this is partly all James Cameron's fault! What he did with the queen in Aliens and the T1000 in terminator set the template to deviate from the original source material and juice up the bad guy for the sequel!
That said, Cameron did it WELL with great story telling, great pacing, great characters and a plot that makes sense. Most everyone else just slap dashes crap together and hopes a bigger meaner monster will sell the movie by itself while mailing in all other aspects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:17 am 

With Predator, I still think the first movie was the best and the ones that followed were considerably worse.
Of course I'll see this, but probably once it's out on Blu-Ray.
I don't expect much from it to be honest, but I hope it will at least entertain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am 

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.02140E1
its was ok film but the last 5 minutes I will never forgive total crap ending

Post subject: Re: The Predator movie
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:30 pm 

I don't want to give any spoilers, but my two cents are:

Acting, dialogue, and characters: A+
Plot: F-, as in fire, as in dumpster fire. Shane Black did NOT come up with that story; I refuse to believe it. Plot holes big enough to drive a Bison-class tug through (WITH cargo platform), and painfully-obviously contrived coincidences, as well as the plot contradicting itself in a few places. I'm going to see it again this weekend to see if maybe I just missed something, but I did hear several people in the audience say things like "Whaaaaaaaaat?" or just groan. (Alarmingly enough, there were only eight people in the theater for the 7:10 show-time; I counted...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 pm 

Ugh, watched last night.

It was silly. What a wasted opportunity. There were honestly some seriously good concepts that could have been focused on.

I love Predator as much as I love Aliens, but man, I doubt we'll ever get a contemporary film made that's not completely cheap on story and structure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:57 am 

Im not long home from seeing it.
Gonna let it digest some more before I comment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:39 am 

Blivet wrote:
Acting, dialogue, and characters: A+
Plot: F-, as in fire, as in dumpster fire. Shane Black did NOT come up with that story; I refuse to believe it. Plot holes big enough to drive a Bison-class tug through (WITH cargo platform), and painfully-obviously contrived coincidences, as well as the plot contradicting itself in a few places. I'm going to see it again this weekend to see if maybe I just missed something, but I did hear several people in the audience say things like "Whaaaaaaaaat?" or just groan. (Alarmingly enough, there were only eight people in the theater for the 7:10 show-time; I counted...)

That sounds rough.

When movie scripts turn out terrible, I usually can't help and feel that maybe studio meddling had something to do with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:47 am 

Well...my firend and I were one of the people that uttered "what!" Seriously wasted this film was. So many good concepts. It's like it turned into a whole other movie after the first 25-30 minutes. Which werent too bad. Dont talk to me about the big surprise at the end as it was simply ridiculous. I'm sure they had Michael Bay consult on this.........

I was so angry when I left the cinema. First I feel like they ruined Star Wars now predator. I can only hold out that Jim Cameron can save us with the new Terminator franchise:(

Anyways...my two cents lol

Regards
T
A
Z

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:49 pm 

boreas wrote:
When movie scripts turn out terrible, I usually can't help and feel that maybe studio meddling had something to do with it.

Excellent point, Boreas - Shane Black could not have written this plot. He definitely wrote the dialogue - it was brilliant - but I feel sure that somewhere a committee of studio executives forced that plot on him, especially the ending.

EDIT:
Speaking of the ending, there are a couple of very strong clues/proof that the very end was radically changed from what was originally intended. I'm certain I'm not the only one that noticed them, but I don't want to give away any spoilers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:19 pm 
Giraffes. Talk to me.

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.52137E1
I enjoyed it, but the I enjoyed AVP, and cab even fund good things to say about Requim.

On the down side; I'm not a massive fan of the super Predator as a concept.

Why was it even necessary, it was a Predator movie, we don't need complicated backstory for the Preds.

I don't want to know what they are saying to each other, and if kind of felt like they held off in the human casts deaths for longer than necessary. The actual ending just felt like them wedging open for a sequel.

I found my attention drifting in the last fight sequence

On the plus side

People who were neural-typical getting significant screen time without being the comic relief. And to be honest I liked those assholes.

Some kick ass action sequences, particularly early on.

The return of Gary "Lions, and Tigers, and Bears. Oh my!" Busey.

There were a couple of other references to the first two Predators which made me happy.

The pacing was about on par.

The 3D worked really well in the first half of the movie, but it probably wasn't worhbthe upgrade.

The chrome Predator. Oh dear gods yes. I want this build, it was beautiful. This has possibly replaced the City Hunter as my favourite Predator.

The first half of this film made me laugh like Billy Sole.

Things I'm ambivalent about:

The dog.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:17 pm 

I freely admit to liking AvP and Requiem too; they're in my "go to" rotation of movies to watch whenever leisure time allows, along with the four Aliens movies. :)

I actually enjoyed everything about this new Predator movie except the plot - I'm still convinced it was a corporate committee hack-job that doomed the screenplay. As evidence, I submit to you the fact that there was to be an Army general - played by Edward James Olmos - that was written out of the story. (But I think that was just a sub-plot, not a major part of the screenplay.)

Perhaps more tellingly however, at some point there were to be multiple Predators as well, allied with human soldiers, as was shown in a production photo - https://www.fandimefilmu.cz/clanek/10440-the-predator-blizsi-pohled-na-nove-predatory - fighting on an APC, which looks like a MAJOR difference in the final story/screenplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:10 pm 
Giraffes. Talk to me.

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.52137E1
Oh no! Thank the Lords of Kobol they ditched that idea.

I'm also thinking the Predator back stories clashes with the previous movies and makes no sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:21 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Yeah, saw it Saturday....I think this one is making me swear off seeing another Predator movie in theaters unless I hear some absolutely glowing reviews of it first. One of my big WTF's was seeing Tom Jane in a side role. I thought his career was moving up, but then I see him in this??? He either pissed someone off or is/was having drug problems.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am 
Officers - Making simple s**t hard since 1775

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.52135E1
Saw this last night.

Really liked it.

HOWEVER, seemed like a generic action film, with the Predator(s) being more of a sub-plot.

Predator needed more screen time.

Not sure about the humour and the one-liners. This is Predator, not Leathal Weapon.

I'll give it a rewatch when it hits disc, I often find my final opinion changes somewhat upon a second viewing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:07 pm 

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32141E1
Some flaws here and there but overall I gotta support good or bad anything that comes from the alien universe.

Private
U.S.S FREMONT
9th Battalion 31st Regiment
USCM Monarchs

"Ready man, ready to get it on" Bill Paxton R.i.P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:12 pm 

Saw the movie in IMAX although thankfully not in 3D.
I reallly liked the first half, then it went downhill fast after a certain character died.
The reshoots were quite obvious.l

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:20 am 

I haven't watch this film, is it good?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:29 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Paul123 wrote:

Not...really. My 2 cents:
-I think people who have not seen the originals, don't like the originals, or can turn their brain off and consider this its own unrelated thing may find things to enjoy. Humor, lots of mindless action, 'pretty people'...a lot to enjoy from someone with no expectations.

-On the flip side, anyone with an expectation based on their love of the first 2 movies is fairly likely to come away from the experience angry. It has none of the feel of the classics and even less in-universe connection. Just seems ridiculous and implausible at multiple points and some might even call it a bastardization of the source material.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:37 am 

bigbisont wrote:
Paul123 wrote:

Not...really. My 2 cents:
-I think people who have not seen the originals, don't like the originals, or can turn their brain off and consider this its own unrelated thing may find things to enjoy. Humor, lots of mindless action, 'pretty people'...a lot to enjoy from someone with no expectations.

-On the flip side, anyone with an expectation based on their love of the first 2 movies is fairly likely to come away from the experience angry. It has none of the feel of the classics and even less in-universe connection. Just seems ridiculous and implausible at multiple points and some might even call it a bastardization of the source material.

I got your point.