The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: All VP70z (real steel) owners
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:54 am 
well i guess a few of us got these, so lets talk about em

i was at megacon and ran into my buddy Zane from the gun range, he was after some anime girls.....heh and not the toy kind :lol: well he told me "guess what is at the shop" i gave up and he told me a vp70, 2 days later i baught it

1st off i gotta brag and say mine was made in 77 in W.Germany and never fired outside of the factory :shock:

i got 3 magazines right now, after a 4th

thhough the trigger pull is heavy it's not as bad as i thought, what do you guys think?

and the sights, weird ones, hard to sight in low light...you guys got the same probleam? i was thinking of adding white sight paint to it to help

so you guys now

[Edit]
Minor change to the thread's subject for clarification
[/Edit]

pain can be avoided by not caringEdited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uscmcorps>uscmCorps[/url] at: 7/10/06 10:59 am

Post subject: Re: All VP70z (real steel) owners
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:59 pm 
Yep.

I had a chance to buy one, but I just hated the long trigger pull. Nice looking gun, and nicely constructed, but in all honesty I don't remember being all too accurate with it because of the trigger design. It lends itself to being 'pulled' more than actually being 'squeezed', which I believe causes the inaccuracy problem. I switched between it and my Ruger .357 and it was like a night and day difference as far as accuracy. I was all over the place with the VP-70, and could never get it dialed in right to where it felt comfortable shooting consistantly. My .357 on the other hand... nice tight groupings everytime.

As far as the unique 'shadow' sight the VP-70 has, I've seen the front sight either highly polished or painted white so that the center 'shadow' portion stands out easier. I never shot it in a real low light situation, so I don't know at what point lining up the sights would have become a problem.

I'm sure Airborne Mike will chime in with his thoughts too. ;)

Out of curiousity, which grip does yours have... the ambidextrious grip, or the contoured right-handed grip?
Rick "Ripstick"

[img]http://www.Route73.com/USCM/images/Ripstick_Aliens_Legacy_Banner_2006.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:58 pm 
the ambidextrious grip

Quote:
Quote:It lends itself to being 'pulled' more than actually being 'squeezed', which I believe causes the inaccuracy problem.

your right, that was the reason the VP never really caught on, cause it is actually very accurate, but the pulling throws your aim off

there are rumors at my gun shop of a gunsmith that can reduce most of the trigger pull issue, but the guy is currently in iraq who knows the gunsmiths name

so if that happens, i'd love the VP even more :D

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwAAABQXYHLzQQcjy8pqfXtKY8ZZLZHlbNsvsPd4AHEdkRckL3shYfE7ba!z5VYWF67PpeQrb56XeNxvvxmT8zI2CEutyn2ZtmNzkS42Q55p4wuOM3hRhA/vp70z.jpg[/img]

pain can be avoided by not caring

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:34 am 
Don't let some gunsmith mess with the sear/striker alignment or cut down any of the spring. Go to Wolff striker springs for VP70Z & get their lighter springs. It was cheap & easy to do. I changed mine & it totally reduced the pull by 30% to about a 15 lb pull. Still heavy but now smooth and very managable. I can now hit 10" diamenter steel gongs at 50 yards all day. What more do you expect from a big honkin' "double action" pistol?
Pic is me and was taken sometime last fall.
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/uscm_mike/USCM/VP70Z/vp700009.jpg[/img]

Mike
A06/TQ2.0.22134E1
There is nothing more impressive than a bloody big Alien
wiggling on the end of a sharp stick!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:36 pm 
thats just it, i wouldn't let an average joe (no offense Joe ranger) hack apart my VP, but this guy is a Licensed H&K gun smith

so that i'd trust a bit more

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:53 pm 
Quote:
Quote:Licensed H&K gun smith

Gotcha! Still try out that spring kit. It works great. It was so cheap, I bought three! Got any cool pics of you in armour shooting your pistol? I have my armour BUT must paint it up. I'll get some pix next time I'm out at the range.

Mike
A06/TQ2.0.22134E1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:11 pm 
LOL my range is indoors, may seem a tad weird to drag that into the range :lol:

though i can do armor shots at home

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:37 pm 
Thanks guys, I'm now $600.00 lighter.

After reading this post, I decided what the heck maybe I'll take a look around my local gun shops for one of these. I wasn't really expecting to find one, but I figured I hadn't gone gun browsing in a long time. so I'll look around anyway.

The first shop I went in to had one and it was in great condition!!:shock: I took this as a good omen and purchased it on the spot even though it was a couple hundred more than I wanted to spend.

Mike, I think I'll take your advice and purchase a lighter spring. Is this something that I can replace myself or do I need to go to a gunsmith?

***EDIT*** Nevermind, just figured it out. I can do it myself.

Mike
Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=feide>feide[/url] at: 7/12/06 1:04 pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:03 am 
I paid about $600 also. Had to pay extra for shipping so it worked out the same. It only came w/2 mags but I bought a third for $20 at a gun show! The front site had some corrosion but I cleaned that up. The spring kit was the last I did. All I do now is reload 9 mm ammo and shoot it! I gotta start printing those alien targets and bust some caps. Congrats Mike on your newest toy!

Mike
:D
A06/TQ2.0.22134E1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:28 am 
LOL, glad i can help lighten your wallet feide ;)

notice how the trigger pull is inded bad but not as bad as everyone though?

i think i spent about 700 for mine w/ 2 mags, i still got the mail in info with it still hehe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:04 pm 
I just found out that there's a place somewhere in my area with a couple of these.. I -will- find it. ^^

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:43 am 
I took Mike's advice and bought the spring replacement kit. It literally took me 5 min to replace this myself using a nickel and a paperclip (no joking). It feels like the trigger pull has been reduced by almost half. :shock:

I have not been out to the range to fire this bad boy yet but I can already tell that the spring replacement will make a huge difference to accuracy. My only worry is that by substituting a less powerful spring, there may be a chance that the firing pin may not set the round off. Mike have you noticed any reduced dependability with the lighter spring?

Annubian, I agree that the trigger pull was not as bad as I was expecting. However, I could feel myself trying too hard to squeeze. I think that my accuracy would degrade rapidly after the first few pulls. With the new spring, I may get an extra few pulls that would be more accurate.

Disclaimer: This is all conjecture based on perception as I have not actually fired this gun normally or with the new spring.

FWIW,
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:05 am 
No misfires. Works great! I went blasting today & fired over 100 rds & no probs. Much nicer. Glad to hear to bought the spring, Mike.

Mike
A06/TQ2.0.22134E1